Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I used Dupli-color on mine.... but I painted the whole thing.... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I read up on the KX100 a few years ago thinking we may get one for one of the boys. Basically my understanding was the KX 100 was created from a KX80. (bigger bore) Eric Gorr at Forward Motion and Clay at Munn Racing both say these motors can be great for trail machines for a smaller person or wife. Key is head squish/shape and porting changes combined with a correct pipe. (pipe on KX 100 was also carried over from KX 80)

Maybe save the $100 from not buying a FWW and apply it toward the porting and head changes would be my initial suggestion. What reportedly end up with is a bike with 10 times more low end and 10% off the top end. At that time 2-3 years ago the cost for the cylinder/head mods were about $200 - $250 FWIW.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
Kirby N.

Post by Kirby N. »

>|<>QBB<
KDXer wrote:PJ1 should make matching paint.
Thanks for the tip. I found it. Now I need to see how I can get my hands on some!
Kirby N.

Post by Kirby N. »

>|<>QBB<
IdahoCharley wrote:I read up on the KX100 a few years ago thinking we may get one for one of the boys. Basically my understanding was the KX 100 was created from a KX80. (bigger bore) Eric Gorr at Forward Motion and Clay at Munn Racing both say these motors can be great for trail machines for a smaller person or wife. Key is head squish/shape and porting changes combined with a correct pipe. (pipe on KX 100 was also carried over from KX 80)

Maybe save the $100 from not buying a FWW and apply it toward the porting and head changes would be my initial suggestion. What reportedly end up with is a bike with 10 times more low end and 10% off the top end. At that time 2-3 years ago the cost for the cylinder/head mods were about $200 - $250 FWIW.
Great suggestions. I may look into that in the future. It seems to be pretty trackable and ridable in its current state. I will probably let her ride it like it is for now, if she can't get it dialed I may look into some head mods. I may have gone that way initially, but now it has the FWW purchased and installed, so I will let it ride for a while. I may still gear it down somewhat. The thing rips right now. She got it up to 64MPH last weekend- it could stand to take some of the top speed off in favor of more low end gearing. It is a fun bike. The suspension is very impressive. I overshot a fairly significant step down a couple of times last weekend and it soaked it up like nothing. The forks need to be softened a little. I will work on that next time she rides.
Kirby N.

Post by Kirby N. »

MSN stinks, but I got one vague pic up:

http://groups.msn.com/KirbyandChuck/hea ... hotoID=301
Kirby N.

Post by Kirby N. »

The KLX headlight looked way too big until we added the IMS tank, then the proportions evened out. Since the last update I have added an Acerbis LED taillight/ brake light, a K&S brakelight switch, Grips, Acerbis Minicross Rally Handguards and Renthal Bars. I wanted to do a KLX400 LED tailight, but they were too big and expensive. The acerbis one is very sweet, priced right and fits awesome. Those mods are all pictured. I have 2 things left to do on this project:

1- buy a light switch and wire it. Probably a KLX switch.

2- Get a longer front brake cable. With the tall bend bars and needing to be routed outside the upper rubber headlight mount I will need to get about 6-8 inch longer line. Anybody heard of a company who does that? I think there is a bearing shop in town who makes custom lines. I will check with them.
PICS!

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I've fixed it for ya. Sheeesh !! Don't tell me you visit 'THAT' site. :roll: :lol:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Kirby N.

Post by Kirby N. »

Got insurance and a plate today. Now I can rip up the street and the neighbors can't call the cops on me! I just got to get the brake line figured out now.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Sweet!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

If you do a search for 'braided brake' you will find a post by me with contact details for a guy in the UK who sells custom brake lines. Email Nik and tell him what you need. I guarantee the price and service can't be beat. He sent me over a few sets to experiment with and I just returned what I didn't use. CHEAPEST AROUND AND GREAT QUALITY. :supz:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Kirby N.

Post by Kirby N. »

I got a 2002 KX250 line off ebay for $4.99. I am going to try that. I hope it works well, if it does I will use another guide on the top tripple clamp mount and mount the headlight solid there too- that is how it is on the stock KLX400.

I rode it to work on Thursday. It was fun. You wouldn't belive the looks I got!

My wife is in Peru for a week, so I am changing brake pads, brake fluid and I painting the frame. I painted a few coats last night. It turned out really good. May need more coats though.
Kirby N.

Post by Kirby N. »

I got the Brake line. It works well. Mounts right up. It does have a hole worn in, so I am trying to get a refund and I will order a new one on Tuesday. Anybody know if a 125 clutch and throttle cable will fit?