How venerable are the trailtech's?

Got questions? We got answers....
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

How venerable are the trailtech's?

Post by 2001kdx »

I was pondering the thought of buying a trailtech endurance computer, but I was worried about it's strength. How is the mounting on the bars? have you guys broken your a lot?
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

They are not very durable in the mud or wet conditions the buttons get all jacked up. Mine is a year old and the only thing that works correct is the clock.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
marco220
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by marco220 »

I've got one that's taken some abuse and still works fine. I did have a little run in with a tree that that broke the light housing and broke the tabs off of the actual pick-up of the Trailtech -- the part that holds the computer to the wired sensor. I now know they are available directly from the mfg. (don't recall how much).

I don't use the supplied mounts -- I just wasn't happy with the mounting location. Instead, I fabbed up a little bracket of my own using aluminum flat stock about 2 inches wide. I used the mounting hole from the original odometer cable clamp (metric) and then heated and bent it so I could see it sitting or standing. So now it's all tucked in nice and neat in front of the handlebar crossbar and the light housing. The only downside is that it's hard mounted so it does vibrate a bit -- goes away at full throttle though :supz:
2002 KDX 220
RB'd Carb and Head

I don't crash often... but when I do, I'm going for style points!
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Use the electrical gel on the contacts. I used the foam rubber that came in the packing and made a protector for it. Now I have cut out area in the pad used for the bar clamps & have it installed in there. I have mine for over 2 yrs now & it has taken a good beating but still works
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

I have had the Vapor for a couple of months and I love it. The cheapy plastic mounting pieces that came with the kit would not work on my bike because of the steering damper. (I don't think they would have worked even without the damper.) I got a small piece of aluminum sheet metal, drilled holes in it and mounted it to the forward handlebar mounts. I then mounted the Vapor on the aluminum and it works great. (I have KX forks so I didn't have the stock triple clamp and its odometer mounting location.)

Pounding the bike at a friend's MX track hasn't caused the unit one problem. RPM, engine temp, everything works as advertised. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. :supz:
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
Oldschool
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Oldschool »

I am looking for one that gives me average speed.
Like all the cateye stuff on my bicycles.

Has anyone converted a Bicycle one to a Dirt bike ?

Thanks
Tony
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

The "ENDURANCE" has that function
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Oldschool
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Oldschool »

Got it!
I run Pro tapers so I will just mount it where the hu mongo cross bar pad is now.

My average speed yesterday turns out to be 13 mph
Everyone taking home a trophy was 16 mph

I think this would be a valuable tool when I train also, I can push myself against the avg speed.
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

I just carved out my cross bar pad and mounted it there. Out of the way, pretty protected.

2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Is that an enlarged crossbar bad - as compared to the renthal one I have? It seems like a good place to mount.
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:Is that an enlarged crossbar bad - as compared to the renthal one I have? It seems like a good place to mount.
Nope just a plain old crossbar foam, an old one I had. Didn't want to screw up my new one so I practiced on an old one. Then when I got it done I didn't want to make another one that's why the foams a little longer then the cover.

After I whittled out the foam, I mounted the TT to a piece of thin flat stock almost the same length of the pad. Then used some Siilycone on the flat stock and zip tied to the the cross bar. Worked the foam over it then put the cover on and cut the face out last.

Hey it worked.
Last edited by MXOldtimer on 05:17 pm May 07 2007, edited 1 time in total.
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

Ohhhhhh the zip ties on the cover were, just in case. :lol:
04 KX-250 Hey.....at least it's green and smokes.
06 KDX-200 for off road play. Gone but not forgotten
07 KX-250F SOLD! I thump no more.
Oldschool
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Oldschool »

I love it!
In the pad it goes.
mattR

Post by mattR »

First Trail Tech lasted 3 years and about 2500 miles on the stock plastic mount. 2nd one just went in a Scotts billet mount that a buddy sold me second hand. Will out last the bike (97) at this point.
97 KDX 220
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I bought mine and the little protective aluminum protector gizzmo. Let me just say that at second gear speed and hitting a tree, They did'nt make it. :cry: They are neat little devices though. I liked the one I had. If I bought another one I'd have to relocate it to a different position if possible.

Jon.
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

Mine is holding up really well. It was mounted to the original stock odometer mount when I bought it...that mount broke after just a little while. I determined that it was already damaged and a new stock mount cost me 20 bucks! A stamped out peice of soft steel..20 bucks!

Oh well it saved me from having to fab something from metal scraps that I don't have lying around.
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!" - Emmet Brown