Shock removal - frame bar?

Got questions? We got answers....
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Shock removal - frame bar?

Post by 2001kdx »

I'm almost done removing shock from bike to grease linkage and new oil. so, I've pulled the air box and fender, but the manual says something about a subframe or something and at the same time doesn't specify or illustate (Kawi maunal is somewhat vague). What/ how do i remove this item? Thanks
sluggo69

shock

Post by sluggo69 »

it comes out thru the top right side. its tights a tight squeeze
03 kdx/kx200... my lil woods weapon
07 zuki ozark250...xmas present for my son
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

I pulled mine straight up.

Rick
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Take the Swingarm off. ALOT EASIER
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Swingarm off? Nah.... comes out the right side easy enough.... no messin' with a greasy swingarm....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Replacing the spring, might as well lube the tie-rod & so forth. The other way has always been a PITA & the Air boot is a PITA. Lttle bolts, tight space, big fingers..............ARGHHHH
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

The subframe bar they are talking about is on the left side; it runs from the fender/back of seat junction forward and down to near the upper drive chain roller. It is a lot easier to get the air box back in with that out of the way.

Easy enough to pull the shock out though. I seem to recall it only requiring seat removal and lower linkage dissambly? I could be wrong, and it doesn't matter because you are already in there.

If you are regreasing your linkage assembly, I'd do the swingarm bearings, too. I have not done my swingarm bearings in two years. Last night I dissasembled the linkage, including swingarm, to find the swingarm bearings rusty and toasted! All the other linkage bearings, which I had cleaned and regreased 6 months ago, were fine.

I wish I had not been lazy 6 months ago, now I get to buy new swingarm bearings and sleeves and seals
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

>|<>QBB<
Green Hornet wrote:Replacing the spring, might as well lube the tie-rod & so forth. The other way has always been a PITA & the Air boot is a PITA. Lttle bolts, tight space, big fingers..............ARGHHHH
YES!!! I hate that damn boot.

i took the shock off, I am happy I know how to do that now, spring change or rebuild is no biggie now. Next up is the kips cleaning :shock:
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

definetly good idea to just take a few extra minutes and pull apart the whole lot. The bottom bearings on the rocker can get super toasted and I think I recall one side of the swingarm bearings being a little more goobered than the other. I just did mine two weeks ago. I had taken it apart last year when I first brought her home because they don't put much of anything like real grease on the whole bike at the factory.
I pulled the seals off all of the bearings and packed 'em all full of Bel-ray Waterproof. Everything looked good exept the front wheel. It had a little side-to-side so popped the bearings out to find no seals on the inner races and they were toasted-to-the-mosted. New aftermarket bearings from Jeff Fredette have seals on both sides.
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

One more thing I just remembered.
Take the screws out that hold the front chain slider on and dab 'em with a little never-sieze so when you have to replace the slider you can...... With the swingarm still on the bike!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

holy crap! I must have had NO rebound before, because now I feel a 100% difference! all i did was ride around my yard for a couple mins. to get the bike warm, and it's SO smooth! I just cleaned and greased the linkage and it's a whole different shock. It feels SO much softer now so a 5.3 or 5.4 spring might be in order.