shock spring interchangeability

Got questions? We got answers....
Flying W

shock spring interchangeability

Post by Flying W »

I have a stock WR450F spring that, installed on our KDX 220, would put the rear suspension right at my weight.

My local MX shop guy told me the spring cannot be swapped.

Race Tech's site gives me the same part number (SRSP 622854) for the shock spring when I cross an 03 KDX 220R and an 04 WR450F. Granted, in the online form, it would be for different rider weights, but the idea here is that the same spring would swap from bike to bike. Swapping the stock spring from the WR to the KDX would be the correct rating for my weight.

Please help a brother out and confirm the obvious to me. :mrgreen:

Can it...or can't it???
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

If it fits it and its the right weight then your golden. Anything else is your "MX shop guy" blowing smoke up your a$$.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Flying W

Post by Flying W »

I haven't tried the fit yet. The KDX shock tube is narrower than the WR tube (by specs: 44 & 46 respectively), that's what prompted the RT searching.

But I'll count your response as 1 for the "It Can" side ('cuz I think you are right and because I want it to work!)
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Same number... same part!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Flying W

Post by Flying W »

One more person with a post-count greater than .5 and I'm satisfied :supz:
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

I would just try to fit it. May be a cheaper solution than a race tech kdx spring too.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Same part but the KDX shock is 44mm and the WR is 46.
Flying W

Post by Flying W »

Okay, that's good enough for me.

I'll use it and now I've removed myself asa a Darwin Award candidate (although the helmet cam vid of me taking a soil sample keeps me in the running for Spode of the Year contest). :oops:
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

WR shock is longer spring might be longer, but usable.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

The aftermarket shock springs are larger diameter as they are made to fit more bikes. When you get an after-market race-tech spring for a kdx, it comes with reduction collar that works as an addition to the stock kdx collar -giving full support for the larger diameter spring. If the WR spring fits (centers properly and has adequate collar support where it contacts the spring) without the reduction collars, you don't have a worry, otherwise (which is more likely), you may want to order just the collars from race-tech or someone else or have a machine-shop whip you up one.

Bottom line, if the stock spring collar is too small for the larger diameter spring (even though it provides enough support to hold the spring in place), it may eventually fail...

edit: remove erroneous statement re:post date. :mrgreen:
Last edited by kawagumby on 04:43 pm Apr 29 2007, edited 1 time in total.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

A couple months old? It was started today. I think we agree flying should givei t a shot and tell us the details.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

If this works (I'm interested, I'm too heavy on the stocker,) This Ebay auction shows you what will fit, I"m thinkingo fbuying it because I've already got a set of fork srings to put on, and My shock needs an oil change and linkage grease anyway.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... :IT&ih=020
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

The Race Tech 5.2kg. Spring I installed came with the collar & I had to use it. The spring was also longer than the Stock 5.0kg. spring.
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Flying W - Did you get this done?
Flying W

Post by Flying W »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:Flying W - Did you get this done?
I haven't pursued the collar situation so I still cannot give a definitive response. I do expect I will need the collars others have mentioned.

My new idea is to find some $$, then buy another whole shock.

Swapping out the spring one weekend to ride the 220 and then putting the stock spring back on for my wife looks to be more of a pain than I want to deal with.

Swapping an entire shock out would not be so difficult. One set up for me, one set up for my wife. That's the way I'd like it. :mrgreen: