Direction of coolant flow

Got questions? We got answers....
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Direction of coolant flow

Post by wanaride »

While installing my Vapor computer last night it occured to me that I didn't know what direction the coolant flows in.

For example, the Vapor installation directions say that a radiator hose on one side of the bike has hot coolant, but the other side has cooled coolant. Unfortunately, they didn't say from where the left or right was viewed (in front of the bike, or behind it).

I'm sure I picked the wrong direction...does anyone know the flowpath of the radiator coolant?
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

Flow:

Right rad to left rad to cyl. head, through engine, into water pump, back to right rad.

You want to splice the return hose, the one coming out of the bottom right-hand side (EDIT: from water pump outflow) before it flows up into the right-side radiator. This is where I attached mine - works perfectly. BTW, it's right-side as you're sitting on the bike.

--C.J.
2000 KDX220R

"Big air? I say keep it in the dirt - that's where the fun is. You want big air, kid? Pull my finger." -- Smooth Johnson, Master of the Berm
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Thanks!

Wow, I actually had that one correct but I didn't trust my instincts. Too bad I put the sensor in the left hand hose!! :oops:

The sensor wires don't seem to be long enough, but if you were able to make the right side fit, then I guess I should try it too.
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

The sensor wire is long enough if you place it higher up on that return hose. It's the longest of all the rad hoses, so splice it up high enough and run the wire up the hose, between the right rad and frame. Get some small zip-ties and you're good! I love the Vapor, esp this sensor. It allows me to know when I'm running hot and to stop for awhile. The RPM sensor is kind of a joke, though. I could never get an accurate reading (like, a KDX runs 19,000 rpm's? :lol: Wow!)

--C.J.
2000 KDX220R

"Big air? I say keep it in the dirt - that's where the fun is. You want big air, kid? Pull my finger." -- Smooth Johnson, Master of the Berm