Another plug problem....

Got questions? We got answers....
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Another plug problem....

Post by Rick »

As some of you might know, a few of us are going ridin sunday at haspin acres. I went there a couple of weeks ago, and fouled 2 plugs within a couple of hours. The first plug i fouled had been in the bike since i bought it in Oct. of last year. It never seemed to run perfect, but pretty well. After talking to Tom(radonc73) he said the last time he went to haspin, he fouled about ten plugs. We both bought gas locally, so maybe that could be it. I'm sure the thing needs some jetting work, but i don't have time before we go. The original plug in it when i bought it was an ngk b8es. The book calls for a b9es. Would the 9 burn a little hotter, and maybe drag a little more life out of a plug? Any ideas would be great! :wink: Thanks, Rick
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

8 is hotter... that's what I would run.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Rev it a little more... clean it out every once in a while. Other than that, you have to jet.

You can't get a MJ and PJ from a local dealer by Sunday? Just go one size leaner on both, then all you have to do is slip 'em in and your good to go with much improved plug life.
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

I can try to get them. Im just getting crunched on time. I thought i was keeping it cleaned out pretty good, but maybe not. btw, i run 50-1.
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

50-1 :shock: :shock: That is a little lean aint it? I run 32-1 but that may account for excess spooge. :grin:
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Crunched for time?

You can easily change jets on the trail if you need too

Don't know about the 250, but on a 200 all you need to do is unscrew the plug on the bottom of the carb, loosen and remove the main jet and reinstall a new one

I've had my bike for 4 years and have only fouled one plug. I think it had been in the bike for over a year and we went up to Prospect to ride (higher elevation)
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Crunched to make it to a shop and buy them. Are the jets pretty universal to the kind of carb i have? Do i need to know all of the specifics, ie size, year, etc, or will most any jet fit in my carb? :neutral:
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Rick - is it a stock carb, and do you know what jets you currently have installed? I'll call the dealer in Louisville and if he's got some jets to fit I'll pick 'em up and bring 'em with me on Sunday
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Thanks buddy! I beleive its the stock keihein(sp) but im not sure what the jet sizes are. I havent had it long, so ive not ventured into the carb yet. I would like to change to 40-1 instead of 50, but since its not running great with the combo of mix/jetting ive got, i dont know what sizes to go with.
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
radonc73 wrote:50-1 :shock: :shock: That is a little lean aint it? I run 32-1 but that may account for excess spooge. :grin:
Ya got it a little back ass wards :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
Rick wrote:Crunched to make it to a shop and buy them. Are the jets pretty universal to the kind of carb i have? Do i need to know all of the specifics, ie size, year, etc, or will most any jet fit in my carb? :neutral:

Looks like stock main for your bike is a 165, I'd pick up a 162 and a 160
pilot is a 42, so might as well get a 40 and a 38

Should be able to find Keihin jets at any descent shop. Shop I go to just handles parts, they are not a dealer. They've always had any jets I've ever needed. They are usually about $5 a piece
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Ok fellas, heres what i got. Stock jets are what wibby said, 165/42. In it right now is 162/35. Not runnin too great at 50-1 mix, and foulin plugs. I would like to change to 40-1 mix if possible, and get this critter to stay runnin! Manual calls for 32-1 like most, but i believe 40-1 would be great. More lubrication than 50-1, and easy to mix. My bike has Boyseen reeds and an FMF Fatty pipe w/ core2 silencer. No other mods that i'm aware of. Soooooo, with all that said, any idea where to go on the jets? See Wibbys sugestions above. Thanks a $1,000,000,000, Rick.
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

That PJ seems lean, maybe not . . .

I have 155 and 152 MJs (if we need to go that low) as well as 42 and 38 PJs. A 160 and 158 would pretty much cover us - can you get those? If not I should be ableto get em, let me know . . .

Bring a couple of plugs even if you don't think you'll need 'em, we oughta do a plug chop before we get started.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Yeah, may need to go leaner....Make sure your air filter is clean.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Im gonna bring about ten plugs! I am going to try and get some jets tommorow after work. By the time i got in the house after checking mine, they were both closed. Ill call em from work tommorow. I deffinatly need the main jet. It snapped when i put it back in. I just barely tightened it! Well, i thought. Now i know why they sell those little hand wrenches. So you think a 160 and 158mj, and a 42 and 38 pilot? How about going to 40-1 mix during this? If i cant find any jets, would you be able to get them on a Saturday? Thanks again, Rick
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
Rick wrote:Im gonna bring about ten plugs! I am going to try and get some jets tommorow after work. By the time i got in the house after checking mine, they were both closed. Ill call em from work tommorow. I deffinatly need the main jet. It snapped when i put it back in. I just barely tightened it! Well, i thought. Now i know why they sell those little hand wrenches. So you think a 160 and 158mj, and a 42 and 38 pilot? How about going to 40-1 mix during this? If i cant find any jets, would you be able to get them on a Saturday? Thanks again, Rick
I've got the pilots, you work on the 160 and 158 - but if you're not going to be able to get them call me tomorrow (Friday) on my cell (I'll PM the number to you) by 10am and I'll pick them up at lunchtime . . .

RE: snapped jet :shock: were you able to get all of it out?

CLICK FOR PICS!
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Yeah, it came out real easy actually. I got lucky! Thank you so much for all your help. Ok, so ill call you if i cant get them. Thanks
2002 DL1000 V-STROM