spark plug

Got questions? We got answers....
danfree

spark plug

Post by danfree »

Manual calls for for an NGK br8es plug. Does anyone use something different for a stock engine? i.e. hotter or cooler. For initial jetting, does anyone have a favorite supplier? I'm thinking it may be wise to have a dozen or so on hand, right?
2008 Yam FZ6
2005 KDX 200
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

The BR8ES should work fine with a stock engine. You can run a BR8EG which is a finer wire plug. Helps give a smidge more low end pull.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

That 'dozen or so' will come in handy to help out other riders. That is the only place I've found a use for the spare plugs I carry.

A KDX even half fast jetted will not foul plugs. Shouldn't take more than a couple to get to that point.

Most heat range changes are done for the intention of curing jetting problems. The two are mutually exclusive. The '8' is correct.

Re: 'For initial jetting....'

You mean supplier of jets? Your local bike shop should have Keihin jets. You can order parts from Sudco or CarbParts. Shipping makes that sort of buying fairly spendy. Keihin needles (brass) cost a whole lot less than proprietary Kaw needles (silver in color..don't know for sure WHAT they are made of. Aluminium I suppose).

Agreed. An -EG works better than an -ES. More spendy, too! If you have an after-market lighting coil, gap the -EG a tad wide...028-.030". You will have to keep an eye on that. When it 'wears' to around .032" it will be the dickens to start when choke-cold.

It'll run great when hot, though! :wink:

Good luck!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

'Just a comment to add to the already-well-put feedback on the -EG plug. The "stock" or recommended plug on my son's RM is an -EG (a 9 or 10, though, RATS!). I poked around and, in NGKs words, the -EG is their "racing" plug, apparently a more refined/engineered plug suitable for "race" bikes.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

...so...what is their iridium IX plug, then? Chopped liver?

Really...I know their -EG plugs are indeed their 'racing' product. I know that 'cuz it says 'Racing' right on the box!

..when I want to amaze all the spectators by going really Really REAlly fast, I tape one'a those boxes on my back fender!! That way they KNOW I'm racing!! Well, honestly, I tape one on my FRONT fender, too, 'cuz when other riders see me comin' in their rear view mirrors, they know they better git the hell outta my way!!!

:bravo:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Wait!! I just checked . . . my son's got the -EG plug, but I've got the -EIX plug!!

So . . . should I strap some liver to my fender?
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

spark plugs hmm! heres one for you! my bike hates to sit with the carb bowl full or emty. After sitting for two weeks I fired it up ran it around the yard. parked it, loaded it the next morning drove for 2 hrs went to start it and the plug was wet and fouled. no problem it always acts up after sitting, float doesn't want to seat. I pull the iridium IX plug and slap a new BR8ES in. It fires up and off I go but not as fast as I normally do, the bike felt week it was topping out and didn't have the same pull, I couldn't loft the front wheel in second gear with out pulling on the bars. I changed the main jet a little better but not great. Towards the end of the day I decided I wood screw the old iridium IX plug in WOW!!! the bike jumped back to running like it suppose to.
IT JUST BAFFLES ME HOW A SPARKPLUG CAN MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Wow! EG means more bottom?! I think that my bike will blow the clutch springs out of it if I tune it for any more bottom grunt. Guess I will have to try it. :lol: No change in jetting?
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

I just searched the NGK site and through punching in a Kawi 220 it lists the stock ES and the EIX Iridium but not the EG.
Which one is the best? I would say my bike is race-ie since I have piped, jetted and reeds vs. bone stock. Plus some guys I rode with the other day that wore blue jeans said I looked like a racer with my kit. :lol:
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

>|<>QBB<[quote="krazyinski"] I couldn't loft the front wheel in second gear with out pulling on the bars. quote]

It wasn't just the plug... There must have been something wrong with it.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
kdennan wrote:I just searched the NGK site and through punching in a Kawi 220 it lists the stock ES and the EIX Iridium but not the EG.
Which one is the best? I would say my bike is race-ie since I have piped, jetted and reeds vs. bone stock. Plus some guys I rode with the other day that wore blue jeans said I looked like a racer with my kit. :lol:
why not get one of each (EIX and EG) and see which you like the best? You could tell us what your results were (I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say).

I'd get the bike warmed up then swap 'em one at a time.

CLICK FOR PICS!
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

I took a road ride this morning on the pedal bike to the local chainsaw shop and picked up two EG's. They did'nt have the IX in an 8, only a 9 so I'll give the EG a shot. Good idea on the warm up test. I'll let you know.
If it is the same heat rating than I should still be on jetting wise right?
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Yep.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Ooooooh. Spicy!!

I am nuts. I am way to into my bike because I swear I can tell a difference with the EG plug. Snappy little kit is all I have to say.....
I also have to add that it is snappy everywhere. Or crispier. More Crispity.
Just try to pry a two-stroke KDX from my hands Big Brother! :razz: