Blown Fork Seals

Got questions? We got answers....
beeds3000

Blown Fork Seals

Post by beeds3000 »

Hey Guys on my 97 KDX with 01 KX forks on it finally blew the fork seals, I looked online how to do it I don't think it is a project I want to try does anyone know a rough estimate of about how much a dirt bike shop would charge to fix them ??? just a rough estimate
Geoff T. Biderman
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Rebuilds go about $70-$80 (not including shipping), they'll also charge extra for worn parts that need to be replaced. Best to contact 'em directly and ask to be sure . . .

since your out of Springfield, MO here's some places to consider:

http://www.mx-tech.com (IL; recommended by many)

http://www.brucessuspension.com (NC; also highly recommended)

I'm sure there's others. In fact, contact your local track/riding club to see who they recommend possibly locally. Word-of-mouth is a great way to find someone that'll do a good job for you, and you won't have to pay shipping.

BTW, replacing the seals, bushings, and oil yourself really isn't too bad!!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Perhaps this should be moved to the suspension section?

I took my forks in for routine check up at Palo-Verde (MX-Tech) in Phoenix. Basic service is $79. But they found that one of the spacers in one of the forks was installed out of order. When the fork was opened up, there were bits of plastic clogging the valves. I'm not sure how much the extra charge is for that, just parts. I had my rear shock completely rebuilt for $120.

I'm guessin' I was running on one bad fork for about six months. I had noticed that every time the front end bobbled, it bobbled to the right time and time again.

We'll see how they behave now, as I asked them to lower the fork oil for rocky trails. I'm guessin I'll have to re-set the clickers on the shock due to the change in the forks. Also, there were nicks in one fork tube that MX-Tech smoothed down for me. He thought they were tool marks from attempting to seat the seals.

Interesting to see what my bike is going to ride like with a new top end, drive, and boingers.

Rick
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Oy. I just got the bill via e-mail from PaloVerde. $192 !!

$79 is their basic fee for a simple job.

I'll be in on Friday to pick up the bike. Must have been some nasty busted-up parts in there.

Rick
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

I have been quoted $80 from my local shop for rear shock cleaning and new oil and $120 for front with new seals. did my fronts myself for $90 with new seals, oil and all new bushings. And did rear for $25 myself. ($10 for oil, $15 for nitro)

So i say do it yourself.... much cheaper.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

I would have missed too much. I doubt I would have seen the hammer marks in the fork tubes (perhaps from pounding in the seals), and I wouldn't have known what to do if I had pulled that fork apart and seen the chunks of plastic clogging up the valves which resulted from the internals in one fork being installed in reverse order.

There are times to do things oneself, and times to pay a professional. My schedule allows just so much free time, and I prefer to spend that with my family, not in the garage tinkering in areas where I have little or no expertise.

Rick
kelasaki

Post by kelasaki »

>|<>QBB<
AZRickD wrote: There are times to do things oneself, and times to pay a professional. My schedule allows just so much free time, and I prefer to spend that with my family, not in the garage tinkering in areas where I have little or no expertise.

Rick
I pray to God my wife never reads this post ;)
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

I just had my suspension revalved by Pro action and they work great night and day differance. first ride and the seals are leaking. I will be doing it myself.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
AZRickD wrote:There are times to do things oneself, and times to pay a professional. My schedule allows just so much free time, and I prefer to spend that with my family, not in the garage tinkering in areas where I have little or no expertise.

Rick
Knowing your own limitations and the true value of your time. :cool: While I enjoy messing in the garage it doesn't hold a candle to spending quality time with the kids/family unit. AZRickD - it sounds like you have defined your priorities much like I have: My only regret is that I didn't pick up on the family value being missed; until later in life.
Last edited by IdahoCharley on 10:02 am Apr 27 2007, edited 1 time in total.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Yeah, right. Just ask my wife how much time I spend on the web each day... :oops:

Rick