Need advice on gearing

Got questions? We got answers....
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

>|<>QBB<
GhostRider wrote:I dont always ride sand though, so I are want to get rid of it, would a bigger pilot do the job, strange thing is im runnin a 42 pilot which Is I think, the biggest pilot people with cgk needles use. Some people say that if the jetting is too rich off idle you can get 4 stroking, which im assuming is a bad thing, what is 4 stroking?
"so I are want to get rid of it," wow i cant even figure out what that means. :shock:
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
GhostRider

Post by GhostRider »

the slight bog. Also m0rie how does the DGK change things as even with the CGK needle it still feels smooth does DGK make it feel really smooth?
Last edited by GhostRider on 04:13 am Apr 26 2007, edited 1 time in total.
**((Bike Profile))**

**((Bike Pics))**

I am a green machine (when im hungry) :lol:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4320

What is 4-stroking?
Somebody wrote:It's a 2-smoke firing every 720º (like a 4-stroke) as opposed to every 360º as a 2-smoke generally should.

...º as in cranky rotation.
It's not always a bad thing. Shouldn't happen when you're asking for power.

Re: '..straight off idle..'

Your idle speed may be too low considering, '..response well h0ly sh*t just snap the throttle a bit and the wheel pops right up and you have to yell at it to get it down again. '

A quick snap from idle to full throttle is unlikely to result in immediate response.

Consider the carb has no accelerator pump, power jet, etc. Carbs will generally not be perfect everywhere. That's just the nature of the beast. If they WERE perfect, there wouldn't be fuel injection.

No one need to nit-pik that statement, btw. It is correct. :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

is it really correct?? :shock:
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Give a 40 pilot a try and see if it cleans up the low end. If your running the CGK in the #2 clip position, try it in #1 with the 42 pilot and see how that works.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
GhostRider

Post by GhostRider »

im running a cgk #1 clip with 42 pilot wont a 40 pilot make things worse ( i.e leaning the mixture I thought richening would work, I only get the h0ly sh*t response if I get the revs just slightly past idle.
I might try the #2 clip with 42 pilot would that help or am I going completely the wrong way. I dont expect it not to bog if I snap it straight open but it is actually worse than it was before untill you get the revs just past idle.

The bike pulls strongly across the whole throttle range other than that and going at half throttle in 3rd gear I can snap the throttle and I get wheelspin, Im happy with the results can you also confirm whether I can get morepower :grin: or does my explanation of power seem about right, just asking cause I havent fiddled with the needle clip much, I put it in the #1 clip it worked great so I left it there.
**((Bike Profile))**

**((Bike Pics))**

Oldschool
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Oldschool »

I have never had good smooth results moving the clip up and down more then one pos., after that change the needle
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

My throttle response was much better after lowering the clip by one position. Mine used to have a hesitation right off idle too. Downside was more spoo.... But the main thing is that the bike performs.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
GhostRider

Post by GhostRider »

I have no spooge although it does smoke, but the needle cant be lowered anymore its in top clip, may be switching to a leaner pilot would work but I thought the slight bog was cause it is running to lean on the pilot? my fastest idle on the aircrew is around 1 turn out and I thought that would be about right and not in need of going leaner.
**((Bike Profile))**

**((Bike Pics))**

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Not lower the needle... lower the clip... i.e raise the needle. Check it out and see if that solves the issue. It usually is the pilot for this issue but it made no difference in my situation... raised the needle.... and suddenly it didn't have that hesitation anymore.... :?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
GhostRider

Post by GhostRider »

Will try raising the needle (I should read post properly next time :mrgreen:)

The only thing which put me off that was because jd jetting said that the fuel just off idle was not changed by raising the needle.
And also because the needle clip affects mid range so didn't want to ruin whats already working really well there.
Also because m0rie says I would probably end up with it in the #1 position, so whats the chance of the #2 working well.
**((Bike Profile))**

**((Bike Pics))**

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
GhostRider wrote:Will try raising the needle (I should read post properly next time :mrgreen:)

The only thing which put me off that was because jd jetting said that the fuel just off idle was not changed by raising the needle.
And also because the needle clip affects mid range so didn't want to ruin whats already working really well there.
Also because m0rie says I would probably end up with it in the #1 position, so whats the chance of the #2 working well.
You'll never know what clip position or needle works best until you try them. I suggested the #1 and #2 clip position with the CGK because i've personally ran them and they worked well. Others have also ran them in the same positions and had similar results. Your bike/conditions might be different enough to warrant and different clip, needle or jet choice.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
GhostRider

Post by GhostRider »

IMO and all..strictly related to anecdotal personal experience, but do NOT run an older fine-wire plug in the sand!! Use a new plug, no smaller than an -EG, and preferably an -ES.
I tryed my bike in the #2 clip Seems to work quite well, I just dont know which clip I like best. Plus I figure its safer being rich in the #2 clip than #1

But is it safe to run an EG plug in the sand Ive heard it gives you a good boost in bottom end. Im running a B8ES at the moment.
**((Bike Profile))**

**((Bike Pics))**

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Told ya! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

GhostRider

Post by GhostRider »

Yeah Ok :roll: :wink:
**((Bike Profile))**

**((Bike Pics))**

TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

Have you tried your needle on #3 clip position to get rid of the bog?