help me out a little on some jetting cc

Got questions? We got answers....
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

help me out a little on some jetting cc

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

i finally tried the dek needle. i put it in with clip in 2nd pos. from top. rode around a little during the warmest part of the day about 60 and played with as until i got it to where i liked it. all was grand. i went for a last minute ride before dark and it feels like the main is lean know? it was about 10 degrees cooler. funny thing is i have rode in colder weather with this main and i even went up a size but then went back down. i will probably go back up on the main one size and drop the clip one pos. to see how it feels. am i missing something? what changes did you make when you went with the dek from the cek?
cicone

Post by cicone »

If it's pulling strong from the bottom and right through the kips activation around 6,000 rpm, then the needle is probably just right. I'd tinker w/the main and make sure the float/seat and level are in order. At the top end, is it blubbering---rich, or off on the power--lean?
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

What was your jetting/temp before you switched to the DEK?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Remember that they will have an overlapping affect. Also, remember that colder temperatures = larger jets.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

m0rie - jetting before was 40, cek pos 2, 150. it's an rb modded air stryker i think the slides a 7. jetting after was 40, dek pos 2, 150.
i'll keep messing with it until i get it. i was just wondering if canyncarvr made any other changes when he swapped to the dek needle.
maybe the plug chop i did to come to the conclusion that the 150 was safe (slightly rich) for colder weather was wrong. but it sure felt good at temps down to mid 30's. if all else fails i will just put the cek back in.
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Did you try the DEK in the #3 position?

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

did you read my original post? but to answer your question not yet.
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

in the interest of time i went ahead and went with the 152 main and dek in pos 3. feels ok but could probably go back to pos 2 on the needle. it was 45 degrees today versus the 60 to 50 the other day.
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I can go only by what worked for me...'Your results may vary!'

Legal Disclaimer:

Under no circumstances will this site, its agents, instrumentalities, officers or employees be liable for the accuracy of the information published on this website nor its use or any reliance placed upon it. While every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of information on this website at the time of publication, additions, updates, alterations and changes in circumstances may occur between the time of publication and the time the user views the information. This site advises website users to verify the accuracy and completeness of the information before committing to any course of action.

Under no circumstances will anyone be liable for damages of any kind, including (but not limited to) compensatory damages, lost profits, lost data, or any form of special, incidental, indirect, consequential or punitive damages of any kind, whether based on breach of contract or warranty, tort (including negligence), product liability or otherwise, even if anyone is informed in advance of the possibility of such damages.

40/150 should be pretty good for woods at some elevation. That setup will get hungry for aluminum (eat stuff) at sea-level under high loads, lots of WOT.

The DEK needle slope starts considerably later (further down..away for the clips) than does the CEK. Example: Everything else the same you will be considerably more lean 1/8-3/8 with a DEK-2 compared to a CEK-2.

My summer jetting, 15-4500', mid 80ºs tended to run around 38/148/#7TV/DEK-4. Winter, I never went 'above' 40/152..other things the same. I did go on both sides of that to get to that point. Jetting by spooge is not right...but it IS nice to have a powder dry exhaust tip.

I'd try the DEK at 3 and 4...with the airscrew out a good 2 1/2 to start...fine tune for response and pull (by 1/16 increments) 1/8 to 1/2 throttle all the way up thru third gear.

I have NO idea what the port timing/compression etc. differences are between an '89 and an 'H' model, either. I doubt they are the same.

Do what works best for you...but please give the higher clips a shot?

Good Luck!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

thanks cc i will give the needle positions a try. im at 3 know but didnt get alot of seat time on it. it just felt weird the other day when i dropped the dek in at pos 2. up to about 3/8 throttle the bike responded awesomely like it wanted to jump off the ground but it wouldnt rev out for crap. the 152 main helped that but lower throttle didnt feel as snappy in pos 3 as it did in pos 2. i also had my as at 1 1/4 i'll have to try it at 2 1/2 in pos 3 and 4. oh well more tinkering.
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Good deal.

Keep after that second sweet spot air screw adjustment. It's easy to miss, cuz with the modifications made to the pilot circuit (RB's work) the air screw acts kind of odd way out there. It's actually doind something. You will know it when you get it!! Adjustments along the line of 1/4 turn here, 1/4 turn there isn't going to get it done.

Do you have one of Ron's finger adjustable screws? That makes it a lot easier to keep track of those little adjustments...one indicator width's (the red line) movement at a time is all you need. You will find that you will use that handy little finger screw all the time! On any given day, I'll adjust mine a couple/three times over the course of temp ane el. changes. It makes a world of difference!

Simple to do on the fly once you get to know where it needs to be for what conditions.

Oh...what changes from CEK to DEK? None other than the needle.

Have fun. Hope to hear of marvelous accomplishments on your jetting technique with one'a Ron's marvelous carbs!!

...isn't that 4-vent just a peach??? :wink:

Have fun! That IS kind'a the point!!

Consider the source

89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

yeah i have one of the finger screws i tend to play with it too much and just get it somewhere i like and ride. yeah i like the 4 vent but the hoses get on my nerves sometimes.
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

i did a plug chop today. 55 degrees out. 40 dek pos 3 152. take a look at the pics in the gallery. hopefully you can see the color on the plug. i dont know where i got the idea that the 150 was safe. but thats what i was running at temps down to 30 degrees. its a good thing i dont spend alot of time wide open i guess. i also put a picture of the plug that was in the bike before the plug chop. it has about 4 rides on it (with the 150) and whatever riding around the house ive done since putting the 152 in. i just included it for viewing. i'm thinking i should run a 155 when its cold and 152 for summer.
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Looks pretty good to me. What don't you like about it?

Granted, if that's 55º, then it would be kind'a skinny for 30º.

...just looked at the pair of them. That WOT plug looks to have a considerably thicker ring than in the other pic. Different pic exposure or something. It looks TOO thick.

No reason to change to a 152 that I see. Except for the 30º part you would probably be fine with a 148.

At this point, it's not about getting that .5sec on the track. As long as the bike runs to suit and you're that close, I'd probably leave it alone.

So...it appears that from wherever you got the idea that a 150 was safe...it was a good place!

Consider the source

89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

ah i just thought it looked a little light. i'm probably just being a worry wort. i rode it today and it felt purty good. i ended up liking 2 1/4 pretty well on my airscrew.
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

This only parrotted from what I've read from peoplo that are supposed to know. But...they 'know' largely because they SAY they do...I dunno...

A 1mm thick ring at the base of the insulator is generally considered optimum as far as a telltale of air/fuel mixture. Optimum meaning exactly that...primo for that exact situation. Take a bike running such a ring, drop the temp 20º or so, and you're going to be in trouble.

That generally leads to a bit thicker ring being perfectly acceptable...you have a bit of margin for conditions that are always going to be changing.

re: felt purty good

...and that is the point of the whole thing, isn't it?

Consider the source

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

SQUAWK! I Won't break out my parrot picture, but I will say that I have read a bunch and the 1mm size seems to be the way to go. I think that the longer you run it at wide open, the darker the ring (as it fills in apparently).

When jetting, as always, salt to taste and err on the side of caution.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128