My bike is finally finished - thanks for the help

Got questions? We got answers....
SteveWR450f

My bike is finally finished - thanks for the help

Post by SteveWR450f »

Wanted to say thanks to everyone at this site plus thumpertalk. Gave me lots of good ideas.

My bike: 04 220. 2005 KXF 250 forks, KXF triple clamp ruber mounted with Scotts stabilizer. RB carb and head mods. Ebay kickstand. ASV levers. Magura clutch.

Son's 03 bike: pretty stock except reeds and pipe. He got my leftover front end from 04 bike.

Again, thanks for all the information and patiently answering my questions. Both bikes rip pretty good.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k237/ ... GP1842.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k237/ ... GP1852.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k237/ ... 1841-1.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k237/ ... GP1840.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k237/ ... GP1839.jpg
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Awefully clean and shiney

:shock:

Do you ride it? :wink:
Last edited by Mr. Wibbens on 02:00 pm Apr 21 2007, edited 1 time in total.
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

SWEET! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

My bike used to look like that...... :cry:

Many moons and thousands of miles ago...

C'mon down...we'll get it dirty for 'ya!!!

What staging (?) area is that?

It looks like your forks are up a good bit in the clamps. Did you arrive at that placement due to measurement or something else?

Pretty bikes!
Last edited by canyncarvr on 01:37 pm Apr 21 2007, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

If mine looked like that I would not treat it like I do :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You mean....like on an uphill lip, giving it the gas, slipping off the back and shooting it for the moon? :shock:

What do you think of that kickstand? Ski had one. I was thinking of getting one. My aluminium stand is getting weak...too many bends back and forth. Well...and front to back AND side to side. ..and breaking it plumb off a couple times........

Whose pegs?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

Yep both bikes are prett clean but dont worry they already have got dirty. I am pretty anal and try to keep them clean, however. I hate working on a dirty greasy bike if it can be avoided.

As far as raising the forks about an inch, yes its based largely upon prior measurements. Before the fork swap I took about 10 different measurements to try to get the bike back to its normal level. But then when the new forks got revalved and my rear sag got adjusted I slightly changed the setup. It seems to work pretty good. The front does not skid nor dive in when I use breaks. It feels pretty level.

Turned out pretty good.

Steve
WR sold. Now have 03 and 04 KDX 220s.
KXF 250 forks. RB Carb and Head. FMF rev pipe. Long live the KDX !!!
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

Damn - I cant spell today.

Pretty not prett

and Brake not break. Need to preview posts more often.
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

Nice bikes! I only wish I had the money (and patience) to build something that clean. It looks so purdy. :wink:

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote: What do you think of that kickstand? Ski had one. I was thinking of getting one. My aluminium stand is getting weak...too many bends back and forth. Well...and front to back AND side to side. ..and breaking it plumb off a couple times........
I would also like to know about that. My current (stock) one has brought me to a very abrupt halt a few times now because it sticks out so freaking much.
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

Stagging area is Grassy Flats in the Nestucca Trask Riding area. Outside of Carlton Oregon going towards coast. About 30 minutes from my place.

Kickstand is pretty good - I would give it 7 out of 10 rating. Like the look and the price. Thumper talk member and a friend makes the stands. They sent me KX hardware - goes thru your lower roller. Although the bolt holes matched up perfectly - had to get a friend engineer a space to make it work. Its solid front to back but side to side is a litte sloppy. Its truly a bike stand - not a kick stand. I am not putting one on son's bike - he likes to kick bike with stand down - shorter legs and the stand would not holp up for tha use.
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

Space = spacer
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:You mean....like on an uphill lip, giving it the gas, slipping off the back and shooting it for the moon? :shock:
Wibs, I'd like to know how that KDX loops you off the back, enough so that your rear fender snaps off. You've made a seat-step and your a pretty big dude too, seems kind of strange.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
JD

Post by JD »

I've got that stand on my bike as well. I am very happy with it, it tucks up and out of harms way. The stock sidestand got completely trashed banging into rocks and other trail junk.
'04 200
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

>|<>QBB<
SteveWR450f wrote:Stagging area is Grassy Flats in the Nestucca Trask Riding area. Outside of Carlton Oregon going towards coast. About 30 minutes from my place.
Thats a fun area, takes me way longer than 20 mins from NE Portland though. I _knew_ there had to be at least one good reason for living in Newburg ;-) Must be mud central right now tho.

Like the BRP, Scotts, oversized bar setup, that can't have been cheap. I need to get myself an oversized bar and damper setup, anyone got one for sale, cheap-ish like? :

How do you like that Fredette pipe guard? I just bought a rev-pipe and I wish it extended up a couple inches higher on each side. Due to this, was thinking of making my own with fiberglass.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

NICE!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

Absolutely. I love my 04 WR 450 - great hill climbing bike. Endless power but after 3 -4 hours riding I was worn out. The KDX has plenty of power but I dont get worn out as easily because it has less of a torque start and of course no engine braking.

It will be a great trail bike. Definately the bike is better than my skills right now. The RB mods really woke up the bike. It rips but not in violent way.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Steve - Super lookin' bikes!

Any comments on the performance of the Magura clutch on the KDX?
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

Opps sorry. The clutch is awesome. I have a rekluse on my WR so you can tell I am not big on having to clutch all the time in the tight stuff especially when the clutch starts to fade.

But I did two things: added flywheel weight (good traction and makes bike harder to stall) and got the magura (Rocky Mtn for $200).

Clutch was easy to install and know I understand why they put them on KTMs. They really work good. Clutch is slight easier to pull and it never fades. I would definately recommend one.

Steve
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

RE: Magura feedback - thanks! I'm still planning on directing some $$ for some more suspension improvements but might move to a Magura in time . . .

have wondered if someone had one on a KDX and what their performance was like (everytime I pass by a KTM on the showroom floor and give the clutch a squeeze - NICE!)
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!