Synthetic ATF in transmission

Got questions? We got answers....
gtoron

Synthetic ATF in transmission

Post by gtoron »

Can the newer synthetic ATF's ie: (Mercon IV or others) be run in a KDX trans, or should one only use the Type F ?
danfree

Post by danfree »

I guess you could, but why? The MOM says to use 10w30 or such. The Gorr maintenance book notes that gear oil lubes the trans well, but is thick enough to slow it down. He suggests 10w30 or even 10w40 for normal applications. I guess some racers may use ATF, but he (Eric Gorr) cautions that it is replaced after every ride. In summary: The lower the viscosity, the more often it needs to be changed. I use synthetic oil in my car, just to prolong my change intervals to 5000 miles instead of 3000. I don't see the benefit of using syn ATF fluid in a trail bike. But, then again I am probably wrong.
2008 Yam FZ6
2005 KDX 200
gtoron

Post by gtoron »

>|<>QBB<
danfree wrote:I guess you could, but why? The MOM says to use 10w30 or such. The Gorr maintenance book notes that gear oil lubes the trans well, but is thick enough to slow it down. He suggests 10w30 or even 10w40 for normal applications. I guess some racers may use ATF, but he (Eric Gorr) cautions that it is replaced after every ride. In summary: The lower the viscosity, the more often it needs to be changed. I use synthetic oil in my car, just to prolong my change intervals to 5000 miles instead of 3000. I don't see the benefit of using syn ATF fluid in a trail bike. But, then again I am probably wrong.
ATF smooths the shifting of many trasmissions, that is why many people use it. As for the viscosity issue just cause something is thinner does not mean it needs to be changed more often. If that was the case many cars using 5w20 would need there oil changed more often than a car using 10w30.Automatic transmissions are subject to lots of abuse,heat and lack of maintenence. Ask someone when they had there trany fluid changed...most times it is not often. And most transmissions go the distance
danfree

Post by danfree »

Good point there. I have 65000 miles on my Honda CRV and I just changed the trans fluid. Its first EVER!
2008 Yam FZ6
2005 KDX 200
Matt-itude

Post by Matt-itude »

Thats an auto trans with a cooler, pump and filter. The higher viscosity is going to protect the face of the gears better. But I don't know in the case of motorcycles if they need as much shear strength for proper protection.