do some of these mods offset others?

Got questions? We got answers....
emmajean

do some of these mods offset others?

Post by emmajean »

I have a 02 200 which i am doing the following mods to.
1-frp re-plate and porting
2-fmf rev pipe and silencer
3-frp suspension with racetech
4-dfIII reeds
5-rb carb mod
does a 200 need the carb mod beings it has the bigger carb?
does the carb mod help with dfIII and the porting?
does the pipe know if the porting knows if the reeds knows that the carb is not stock?
i just don't want some of these things to be trying to do things that the others are trying not to.
thanks for any help
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It all is going to improve performance. Nothing is going to cancel the other. You pretty much are doing what I'm doing other than the porting.

Porting isn't nessasary for my type of riding.... Woods. The stock profile on the porting is perfect for me and I don't want the porting headaches. It's my understanding the the porting turns the bike on or off.... not very electric like the stock porting gives my bike.

Your mods will work out fine but you may have some jetting to do with that porting that you wouldn't otherwise and I hope your not doing all these mods at once or else you are in for headaches.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I'd talk with carvr before you send anything too FRP
Least look in his Gallery! :shock:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

:shock: Did they sandblast the plating or something :shock: The porting work doesn't look real tidy either. I might get my dremmel out and have a go myself. :lol:

Is thaat the cylinder and porting you are running now CC ??
If so hows the difference ??

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Porting really can be a gamble IMO. Just cleaning up the ports and smoothing the transitions is what I lfeel works the best on 90% of bikes. A rough surface finish with no changes to port timing has never given me any problems. I seen many cylinders ruined from people attempting to adjust port timing and not realizing that .020 inch can lead to drastic changes. Mostly on snowmachines.

I for one was really surprized at the cylinder and porting that FRP returned to CC. I would have been mad as H$LL!! Definately would have returned it.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I don't know porting, so any comment from me should be taken with a grain of salt.

I DO know a common misconception of porting is that it should be smooth and pretty...the old 'Port-n-polished' phrase? That's bogus. Shiny smooth surfaces don't work well in intakes. So, the gallery pics may look kind of hasty, BUT, Eric Gorr has said that Fredette 'knows all the secrets..' about the KDX. Put that together with a comment from a local machinist that looked at my ported cylinder, 'Wish I could charge that much money for doing so little work.' and what do you have?

I dunno. Something different, I guess.

So....the proof of the pudding being in the eating, does it run a lot better? It's better..stronger on the bottom/mid like I asked it to be.

But...it pings a good bit now when I'm hard on it (chasing a CRF250-X). Never did before. Jetting it is a pain I have yet to sort out. Spooges a lot. Too rich? Nope. It's too lean. The richer I jet, the less goop comes out. Now...I know you don't jet for spooge..and I'm not. I'm just telling you the side effect of jetting richer.

One of the first things that happened with the new cylinder was a lean-roll stick..and that was with goo spewing out the backend that made my jersey look like it was hit with a spooge gun. Well...I guess it was....

Tried race fuel (Trick114) mixes, but that took so much response off the bottom end of things I couldn't stand it.

It was AFTER the cylinder porting that I asked Ron (RB Designs) for help. He reconfigured the head (compression and squish). That helped a lot..but didn't get rid of the pinging/rattling part.

FRP says that nothing they did should make it ping. Fine. I know what it was like before..and what it does now. I'm not imagining it. I've gone richer to the point that response takes a downturn. I'll let it blow up before I'll jet to make the drips go away..and have it run like crap!

I just got a DEJ needle to try (running a DEK now). And I haven't tried my #6TV with this cylinder. I've grown kind of tired of messing with it...choose to ride other than fix it. Yeah...excoriate me for laziness.

If I had to do it over again...I wouldn't port it. The reason I DID port is was I had some plating damage..so the timeframe for porting fit with the replate. I figured, 'now or never.'

Some specific answers.

The modification to the 200 carb (a 35mm) is largely beneficial. The fact that it starts out bigger than the 220 carb (a 33mm) isn't really relevant.

There are some of the things you list that you HAVE to do together if you want your bike to run well on the bottom...if single track woods riding is what you're doing. Take the -30 pipe for example. THE part that made that work on my 200 in the woods was a combination of a couple of things...SuperM oil and the DF (the II with lo-tense reeds AND lo-tense stops set to low) reedcage. The DF3 was an improvement on that setup. Prior to those two...the -30 just wouldn't cut it. I changed back and forth between my -30 and -35 everytime I changed riding venues that fit the particular pipe profiles.

FRP suspension with RaceTech? Not sure what that means. FRP may well use GoldValves, but I seriously doubt he uses RT stacks. RaceTech specs are always on the high side (IMO). I know FRP doesn't use their fork spring recs.

RE: does everything know everybody else bolted on? Well...they don't adjust themselves. Each one done individually would require some tweaking in other places.

Do them all those changes at once and you're going to have one heck-uva mess on your hands, I'd guess. Who knows what's going to be going on.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If you do all of those at once and it doesn't run right, which one do you blame? Where do you start to look for problems?

I think T-Roy said he had Fredette install some Gold Valves, and he said Fredette used his own stack. Check in my "does anyone have Gold Valves" (or something like that) thread for more exact info.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
T-Roy
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by T-Roy »

I purchased the GV's from FRP and had him send me his recommended stack. I asked for stiffer valving for the MXing I was doing. Works great IMHO.
2001 KDX 200
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

CC - I agree that porting is not neccessarily pretty. And as you point out the surfaces in the ports should not be polished. What I could not get over in your pictures was all the pin holes in the cylinder. In the acid too long? Not cleanned well enough between the boring and plating? Casting flaws? I've had a number of cylinders bored and plated and have had replating performed at least four times. If I had a pit or two under the ports I would not care but everything where the rings run and above should be perfect IMHO.

FORKS - I have heard numerous reports of the Fredette stacks with the gold valves work very good in eastern woods riding. I've never ridden a bike with his set up though. Also when it comes to suspension its a tough call on what is "good". What I may like for the same terrain may be completely different that what another person likes. It may be that I'm a little more aggressive and sit back farther on the bike or just the opposite.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

canyncarvr, didn't you say FRP sent your cylinder to US Chrome for the replating?

Has anyone tried Langcourt, here in the great state of Alabama? :supz:

T-Roy, care to share your fork valving stack info?

IdahoCharley, any idea what FRP recommends for woods riding? The guy I bought my bike from said he had it set up by Race Tech when he was living in southern California.
T-Roy
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by T-Roy »

Umm. I lost the paper with my stack info... I will share the moment I find it. :oops:
2001 KDX 200
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Jason - I do not know what is recommended stack wise by FRP. I would expect the recommendations to change based upon the input given him by the rider.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: replate

Yep. USChrome did it. I did ask for and eventually get the 'disclaimer' that USChrome sends with the cylinder (FRP had not included it when they sent it to me).

It lists all sorts of reasons for the pits. They also include a 'grid' that shows how many and how large the pits can be within a given area and still meet 'spec.'

They go on to say how beneficial those pits are, as they provide places for oil to hide.

Now..that sounds like lemons and lemonade to me..but that's what they said.

The problem is the casting quality from Kawi according to USC. Well....it didn't look like that when I sent it in!!

The same bike shop that was so impressed with the porting was likewise impressed with the plating job. 'If you find out who did that, please let me know. I want to be sure to never send them any of my cylinders!'

s-i-g-h. :cry:

BTW....Langcourt is in Canada, too.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

T-Roy, IdahoCharley,canyncarvr, thanks.
bigal007

Post by bigal007 »

I have a friend who has owned a repair shop down here in Texas for years. He swears by Langcourt and has nothing but good things to say about them. He has used them for years. A little while back when I was looking for someone to repair a cylinder he told me not to use anyone else. BTW I found a cylinder else where, and for expedience got it instead. So I have no personal experience with Langcourt. But if my buddy uses them I am sure they are top noch. He is a race oriented shop. :grin:
91 KDX200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

bigal007, thanks for letting us know.