Radiator Guards?

Got questions? We got answers....
fLyNbYu

Radiator Guards?

Post by fLyNbYu »

Who makes a decent set of radiator guards/brace for the KDX220? Please don't say DeVoL, been reading reviews about them and they pretty much suck. Flatlands does not have one listed for the KDX, neither does Unabiker or Roost. THanks
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Devol...and what exactly is your reasoning for "they pretty much suck"?

I would agree that Flatland is a great company and builds a very solid and HD radiator guard. But, they are very selective in what they build them for. Thier skid plates are super HD as well...again they are pretty selective in what they build.

I haven't had a chance to fondle the Unabiker or Roost guards, so I'll refrain from making wild statements with regard to thier quality or suitability for thier designed purpose.

I have the Devols on the KX. I've sold and mounted many sets of Devol guards. Never had a single complaint with regard to quaility. Some have complained about heat issues, but anytime you put something infront of the radiators your going to loose some of your cooling potential. Flatlands are no different.
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
Kawinj
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II
Location: New Jersey -land of Bruce and overpriced real estate.

Post by Kawinj »

I have the Factory Connection braces...they don't suck.
"The name's Francis Soyer, but everybody calls me Psycho. Any of you guys call me Francis, and I'll kill you."
Oldschool
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Oldschool »

I have the MSR ones I paid $ 35.00
There not Braces for side impact like the others
they are only stick and rock filters.
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

I have DEVOL, Whats the problem with them???
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
fLyNbYu

Post by fLyNbYu »

>|<>QBB<
quailchaser wrote:Devol...and what exactly is your reasoning for "they pretty much suck"?

I should have explained myself when i said they sucked. Well, the devol's don't offer the side impact protection I want. I don't want a false sense of security thinking these will protect my radiators from being squished/crunched when I lay her her down on something. Or should i not worry about radiator being crushed?

Is there a combo of products that people are using to aid in the protection of their radiators? Does anyone else have first-hand experience with the devols?

Thanks
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

don't bother getting the Works Connection. They not only did not fit correctly, they pretzled up just tipping over from my kick stand.
Devol is much better. Side impact? Holds up fine. Yes, there is no metal sheild on that part but unless you are falling into ice picks, I don't think it will matter.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

devol = good
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:don't bother getting the Works Connection. They not only did not fit correctly, they pretzled up just tipping over from my kick stand.
Hmm, I have WC guards and never had a problem. I've taken some massive spills and dropped the bike on its side over off a ledge, held up just fine.
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

I just installed Works supports and MSR guards without any goobering
and between the two it seems like it would add a good amount of strength.
They both fit perfectly and looked pretty good.
I did cut the tabs off the OE plastic guards and used tie backs to hold
to the MSR guards for added air .
Jeff at Monkeybutt's had a decent price.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

>|<>QBB<
thebleakness wrote:>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:don't bother getting the Works Connection. They not only did not fit correctly, they pretzled up just tipping over from my kick stand.
Hmm, I have WC guards and never had a problem. I've taken some massive spills and dropped the bike on its side over off a ledge, held up just fine.
I've had both for a reason. I crashed and bent the Works brand so many times, that they started to crack from the bending and then bending back into shape. I crashed just as hard with the Devols and they never bent. They also saved the metal tabs on the KDX from bending where the WC's would bend the radiator mounting brackets as well.

Everyone has different experiences and opinions. These are mine.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
JD

Post by JD »

I have extensively crash tested the Devol's in New England rock gardens with no damage so far (knock on wood). If you have never seen a NE rock garden just imagine the top of a mountain scraped off by a mile thick glacier and crushed up into softball to ottoman size chunks of granite. A little water erosion from spring runoff removes all dirt to the bottom of the hill leaving you with nothing but rock to ride over/through. If you want a pic of one I've got a lousy picture (but you'll get the idea) in my album under 'trails'.

Anyway, the gist of it is it's a bad place for coolers if you drop your bike, which I have done on a few occasions :roll: . The Devol's are sturdy units that protect on side impacts as well as a spearing from the front. Just ziptie the stock louvers to the front to solve the overheating issues (it is my opinion that without the louvers air just splashes over & around but with the louvers it is trapped and forced through).
'04 200
mattR

Post by mattR »

I'll 2nd the Devol guard + WC brace combo. Bullit proof.
97 KDX 220
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

>|<>QBB<
mattR wrote:I'll 2nd the Devol guard + WC brace combo. Bullit proof.
I did this too, for the right side. I'm not quite sure why Devol didn't include a brace for the right, it wouldn't have been rocket science and I don't think the overflow bottle is actually an issue. I havn't modified the left side yet as I think the rear brace on the Devol is OK. Maybe I'll do it sometime. For the right side, i don't think either alone is likely to offer much protection against a decent sized crash.
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

I run the works conection and MSR gaurds they work ok. what I found works best is not falling. get Shane Watts Dirt Wize video and practice some of the basics. that along with a well setup suspension will keep you off the ground 90% of the time.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.