Shock rebuild?

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Shock rebuild?

Post by Indawoods »

Anybody ever get their shock rebuilt? Mine is leaking... knew that when I bought it last year, Thinking about sending it to Race Tech... $100 labor to rebuild... but what is parts gonna cost me? I have no idea what it needs and I sure don't want to put $400 into my shock. Got a snipe in on a Gold Valve on ebay if it don't go too high I will have that to put in too. Even the 5.0 stock spring can be a little harsh at times on the trail but I am not going lighter since I weigh 200#. Race Tech has "service centers" and they have one in Illinois but I think I will send it to California for the simple fact that...well, That's the Mother Ship!

Thanks guys....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
DirtRoller

Post by DirtRoller »

I have pics. and the step by step text. I could send them to you. Once you do your own shock you will never send it out.
Exception is that there is rust on the shaft or you want the shock body coated,or it is damaged.
Find someone where you live that can recharge it, or get your on tank. This will make you verrrry popular with your riding friends, trust me.
Tried gold valves for forks and shock on same bike (test)
Forks = square edges and deflection (improvement).
Shock = packing / stutter bumps/tight woops (improvement).
Not much difference anywhere else.
I guess if you ride somewhere with square edges, stutter bumps and woops they would help. compared to a properly set-up stock fork and shock.
It sounds like you may think that your spring is to high of a rate??? It's not.
I run 3wt oil in my shock... love it.
I think you can buy all the tools from race tech and a video on how to do the job.
I know if you are a shop you can.
Let me know about the picture, text thingy.
Maybe make it sticky it would be a good addition to the forum.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I'll definately look at your procedure. I want to do it myself but not wanting to screw it up, I thought I would just send it off. Like I said... I don't know what it needs other than a seal.

What does that Nitrogen run?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I think the local shop here charges $15 to charge it.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

As in per bottle. I'm startin' to get ideas.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I think you could easily do a rear shock rebuild. I've got a gold valve in mine. It does make a little difference but then, most mods are only little differences. The stock KDX rear shock has a lot going for it.
My local dealer charges $10 to recharge a shock with nitrogen. Remember, you will need tank gauges to fill the shock. You can't use a tire pressure gauge to check it!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Alright... screw the Gold Valve.... Money can be better spent somewhere else... like on beer! When Dirtroller sends me the instruction... then I will see if it's something I want to tackle....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I helped wsjkawasaki change his shock oil on Saturday (1997 KDX220). Besides that, I have disassembled one '84 KX125 shock, three '87 KDX200 shocks, one '89 KDX200 shock and one '94 KDX200 shock.

You may or may not only need the dust seal and/or oil seal, but I suggest you just get a new seal head assembly, which is $39 at Race Tech. That is a little more expensive, but a whole lot easier. Your friends at Rocky Mountain have these from Race Tech.

Without opening it up and seeing the internal parts, there is no way to know what all is wrong or right with your shock. Using it with too litle oil can lead to problems.

The Race Tech Seal Head Setting tool makes things go a lot smoother for me. I have never used the RT seal bullet tool, but I have it and it looks great.

I haven't seen their shock video, but I have seen it on their site for $19.99. From what I have read 'round the Internet, it is the same video that comes with the Gold Valve kit for shocks. I have the RT fork video, and it is very good. The videos are not specific to a certtain model, so be aware that you are not going to see the tuner work on a KDX shock if you buy a KDX applicable Gold Valve kit.

MX Tuner has a good shock rebuilding article. http://www.mx-tech.com has a 4616 KYB article that mostly applies to '89 and up KDX shocks.

You WILL have to grind off the peening to get the seal head assembly off. DO NOT drop the piston assembly, as all the little shims will go everywhere.

When you send it to Race Tech, you are already looking at $100 (labor), $39 (seal head assembly) and shipping cost each way.

I don't know if you are looking at buying a Nitrogen tank or renting one, but you will need a hose and a chuck. Since you will be pumping it up to 175-ish, don't skimp on these parts. I have read that a major concern is having it loose pressure when the chuck is removed. I know Race Tech and maybe Motion Pro have HIGH dollar chucks that supposedly do not allow it to leak back out.

I have called two dealers about Nitrogen recharging. One place quoted me $25, and one place quoted me $15. Not every place I called even offered that service, and I imagine some may not want to inflate shocks that they did not work on. I would not want a 175 psi surprise, either. :grin:

I have some information related to the C model shocks. A good bit of it applies to the 1995 and up shocks, as well. It is at:

http://jasonwhokdx.home.mchsi.com/Maint ... Shock.html

If any of it is confusing, let me know.

DirtRoller, I would like to see your info. If you can, please send it to me, also.

Thanks,
Jason
Last edited by Anonymous on 02:14 am Mar 15 2005, edited 1 time in total.
DirtRoller

Post by DirtRoller »

What's up Jason??? this is where you popped-up at :supz:
My info is tips only not meant to replace manual or proffesional, if you know what I mean. I will post the info in a new thread.
I have left out some details... feel free to add.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yep. I am here. :grin:

I am always checking on here, so I will see it in the "new threads" search function. I love reading any tips or tricks. Even if a trick or tip doesn't solve something directly for me, it might cause me to look at a problem from a different light, leading to a solution.

Thanks.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128