XCW O-ring chain maintenance

Got questions? We got answers....
saddletramp
Supporting Member

XCW O-ring chain maintenance

Post by saddletramp »

Bought a new XCW O-ring chain for my 200. Oh yeah its gold and coated in the waxiest stickiest stuff known to man. Do these chains require less oil and maintenance? Can I use 30 wt. or will that harm the o-rings? Installtion of the master link was a major PITA, and it seems to rub a lil on the chain guard but I am guessing this will eventually stop.
2000 KDX 200 97 KX 125 Front End
1996 CR 250
03 RM 65 2000 YZ 80
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

IMHO, an O-ring chain actually requires more maintenance than a non o-ring chain. Sooner or later they seem to get all kinked up and it's just a pain in the butt to clean and lube. I'll never run an o-ring again on the KDX

Keep an eye on your masterlink clip, eventually it will rub down too pretty much nothing

Fredette sells a guide that is supposed to be wider
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
danfree

Post by danfree »

As I understand it, it should require less maintenance. However, it probably isn't good to soak it in anything for cleaning purposes. If solvent gets past the Orings it may harm whatever lube is in there, not to mention the Orings themselves. I guess there may be some cleaners and lube specific to Oring chains. I doubt soaking in 30wt oil is going to do any harm, but the oil isn't going to get where it's most needed if the rings are fresh. Although I am new to this, they seem to be a maintenance free item. Like sealed bearings. Probably more useful on a street bike. A dirt bike requires a bit more maintenance in general, so a 'sealed' (maint-free) chain seems almost like an oxymoron. Yet, they seem to be very popular. That said, my bike has an Oring chain. It came with the bike. Mine shows a wear mark as well. I ordered a chain guide from Fredette. It claims to have enough clearance for an Oring chain. As for the master link, I think the side plate is a press fit. You should probably use a chain press tool for it. I'm going to order one of those too.
2008 Yam FZ6
2005 KDX 200
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Where's Jaybird when you need him?

They still get dirty, still need to be lubed, still need to be adjusted

Maintenance free my :butthead: !
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

My friend has a miantenance-free chain - he doesn't lube it, or adjust it until it falls off repeatedly.
saddletramp
Supporting Member

Post by saddletramp »

Chain press tool, that would have beenn helpful. I used a c-clamp the old masterlink plate and 2- 5/16 nuts to get it pressed on. I don't think I will be taking it off soon to soak it in oil but just coat it once in a while to keep the rust off. Never thought about the masterlink rubbing on the guard, good thing I have it facing the right way. My old chain was stretched to the max, I don't see this chain stretching nearly as much. Damn my fingers are still sore.
2000 KDX 200 97 KX 125 Front End
1996 CR 250
03 RM 65 2000 YZ 80
Oldschool
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Oldschool »

I just hit mine with an oversized tooth brush and the hose.
as mud actually gets between the rear sprocket and the chain and stays there until I clean it off, I would have to say its because of the snail adjusters when your right in the middle of the next postion tighter.

No lube ever.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

check this post, you'll see what a worn out o ring master link looks like.
After a really muddy ride, I remove as much as I can with the power washer, then WD40 the chain, scrub with a brush and apply a coat of wax.
In dusty conditions, I clean it when I have time.
So far the chain still looks in good shape.
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... c&&start=0
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I don't clean it, I don't lube it.

That's why my wife hates me so
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Wibbens, what kind of chain do you use? Conventional?

Rick
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Gold D.I.D. ERT Non O-ring
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dave04kdx »

>|<>QBB<[quote="Mr. Wibbens"]Where's Jaybird when you need him?

Oh geeze do I remember those days..............

I treat my o ring chain as a normal roller. I just keep it clean and keep some lube on it. My o ring chain has lasted twice as long as a roller type. I think the o rings keep the AZ dust out of critical areas.
At age 4 success is . . not peeing in your pants.
At age 12 success is . . having friends.
At age 16 success is having a drivers license.
At age 35 success is having money.
At age 50 success is . . having money.
At age 70 success is . . . having a drivers license.
At age 75 success is . having friends.
At age 80 success is . not peeing in your pants.