FMF Fatty vs Gnarly

Got questions? We got answers....
crazybrit

FMF Fatty vs Gnarly

Post by crazybrit »

Ok. I thought I had this figured out. I know I know, another which FMF pipe is which thread, groan .....

As has been discussed endlessly before for the Gnarly pipes:
-- desert pipe is the "rev" pipe is the KG30 (#20056)
-- woods pipe is the "torque" pipe is the KG35 (#20057)

I bought a used "woods" pipe from Bryan Kimsey (NM_KDX200) here a while back. Good deal. I know he was using it on a 1996 KDX and he said 'I have an FMF K-35 "Gnarly Torque" pipe that I'd be willing to sell'.

I figured therefore I'd bought a Gnarly. I just noticed that it's actually labelled FMF Fatty K-35. The distinction didn't dawn on me till now but I'm guessing the G in KG-35 indicates it is a Gnarly.

I called FMF who were totally unhelpful, all he said was that the K-35 was a Fatty not a Gnarly and it was designed for the KDX from 1995 to 1998. Weird date range given that the motor is basically unchanged from 1995 to 2006. The FMF website seems to be down right now but to add to the confusion the Tucker Rocky catalog lists an FMF Fatty for the KDX 200/220 (#020037) but for the older 1989-1994 bikes, the 220 bit must be wrong.

The difference between the KG-30 and the KG-35 has been discussed to death but what if anything is the diff between the K-35 and the KG-35. Also, was there a K-30? I've seen pics of a pipe labelled "Gold Series .... Fat Boy" on a 1995->current KDX also.

The reason I'm curious is that I got this K-35 this winter right before I had Ron Black do my carb. I mentioned to him that I got a Gnarly Woods and he told me to sell it and get a Gnarly Rev (see this thread for more details on this).

I can't ride right now due to a wrist injury so I'm in wrenching mode but I was interested in the difference between the K-35 and the KG-35 in case it makes what I have more compatible with the RB carb mod.

Thanks

Tony
Last edited by crazybrit on 02:52 pm Apr 17 2007, edited 1 time in total.
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

I guess I found the answer to my own question here. So if I'm summarizing it correctly, the K-35 Fatty is either exactly the same as the KG-35 Gnarly or possibly it's the identical shape/profile but just a different thickness/gauge steel. Could be either depending on what meds FMF were taking that day on the production line. I think the Fatty that is for the 89-94 bike probably doesn't have any kind of -30 or -35 markings if I'm reading CC's comments correctly.

I found an reference online to "Fat Boy" being the earlier name for Fatty but FMF had some trademark dispute so it was renamed to Fatty.

Like CC said, FMF has definately done a good job muddying the waters here.

BTW: Still looking for a rev pipe. I'll either pay cash for a good condition used one, or will trade for the above mentioned K-35 woods.