helmet what to look for?

Got questions? We got answers....
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

helmet what to look for?

Post by scheckaet »

What price range should I look at?
Is there much of a difference (safety wise) between a 90$ and a 300$ (beside lighter weight)?
I think I'll be looking for sumthin with good ventilation (ride in 90-100F during the summer) and with removable inner pads.
Any tips / suggestion?
:prayer:
wilf
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

I haven't seen any definitive proof that a more expensive helmet will protect your mellon any better than a less expensive helmet with the same ratings. Infact, one study showed that the less expensive helmets with only the DOT rating actually absorbed high speed impacts better than the helmets with both DOT and Snell2000 ratings. I wish I could find my link to that study. :oops: The tests were for simulated street type accidents that are typically at much greater speeds than offroad.

IMHO, there is no safety difference between expensive helmets and the more affordable helmets with the same safety ratings. The biggest differecne is in your afore mentioned comforts. The most important factor is proper fitment.

Your concern with venting is the reason I have two helmets. I have an Answer $90 helmet that I use in the winter. It doesn't vent great, and it's fairly heavy compared to high dollar helmets. I have a Troy Lee Designs helmet for the Summer that is light weight and vents great...but it was quite expensive.

So in conclusion: get a helmet that fits correctly, get one that has at least DOT rating, get one that is not so heavy that it strains your neck, and get one that fits your budget.

Flame away...I have my USDA approved Flame helmet on! :wink:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I think that those fancy schmancy helmets are status.... your paying for looks mainly. This ain't no fashion show.... heck I ride in jeans most the time.... and a jersey.... those puppy's are much cooler than a T-shirt.

I buy cheap well rated last years models. Vega's fit great and so to Torq's and they are DOT approved.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

I have an Answer helmet as well. I've been riding in very warm weather. If extra ventilation will mean just a few less drops of sweat in my eye to sting me into temporary blindness, I might consider them. But you won't know until you throw down your money.

Rick
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

If you don't like spending money, never, ever try on an Arai!

Thats a $500 dollar hat hanging off my footpeg

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

So... how do you test your helmet Foots? Do you take someones word for it... like the manufacturer? If it's DOT rated.... it's DOT rated.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
xagentman

Post by xagentman »

I would say "moderation is the key" buy a helmet from the middle of the pack and make sure it fits right! comfort is everything. if you are going to splerge, get a great set of goggles!

most helmets are going to offer similar protection.
==05 KDX220R==
saddletramp
Supporting Member

Post by saddletramp »

Check out Rocky Mountain they have some good buys on clearance helmets. I just ordered my kid one for $50 that is usually $150, not usually an item I would buy on-line but if you can measure you melon it should fit. These are not scratch and dent but last years models
2000 KDX 200 97 KX 125 Front End
1996 CR 250
03 RM 65 2000 YZ 80
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I always thought that the ad was funny especially since all, well most, of the HD riders don't want to wear a helmet. I guess we know where that puts them,huh.

the list for organ donors...
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
foots wrote:>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:So... how do you test your helmet Foots? Do you take someones word for it... like the manufacturer? If it's DOT rated.... it's DOT rated.
Wasn't flaming you, Vince. I always thought that the ad was funny especially since all, well most, of the HD riders don't want to wear a helmet. I guess we know where that puts them,huh.

But I do use a snell approved helmet which is a higher rating than DOT.
Didn't think you were... just didn't know how folks rate their helmets. SNELL is a german rating? :hmm: Just kidding....

Snell is a better rating but consider that Europe doesn't even require a rating of any type and the most popular helmets over there are Davida's which can not pass even our DOT test.

A helmet failure is rare anyway.... They are only meant to take the initial impact... beond that you are in fates hands....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****