Stock gas cap observation.

Got questions? We got answers....
Kawinj
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II
Location: New Jersey -land of Bruce and overpriced real estate.

Stock gas cap observation.

Post by Kawinj »

I was standing in my garage this morning having my first cup of coffee when I had a revelation :rolleyes:

I recently epoxied a small crack in my gas cap on my 220 caused by a slow speed tip over in the rocks. I had always scoffed at those 50-100 dollar billet caps you see for sale, but I guess I'd been lucky in the past with previous bikes, and had never replaced one. At least not from damage I had caused. (cough)

I looked over at the wife's crf and noticed how nice it's gas cap slopes quickly downward from dead center, looking back at the KDX, mine looked like a large plastic tuna can just begging to be sheared off from impact.

I often cursed the design of the Honda's cap because sometimes it's hard to get a good grip on it to turn it because of the way it's shaped. But I now realize the design was most likely intentional so as to not have flat sides, which will allow an object to slide off it instead of creating a direct impact zone.

Kudos. Mr slopey gas cap inventor.
tim
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by tim »

Does it ft yours?
06 200H

GALLERY!
Kawinj
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Kawinj »

>|<>QBB<
tim wrote:Does it ft yours?
Nope...
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

The likelyhood of an impact from a get off damaging the gas cap is pretty slim. Although, you are proof that it can and does happen.

Next time you look at the two bikes, check out the slope of the gas tank. Now think about how likely you are to start singing soprano on the KDX compared to the CRF in many varying scenarios. :shock: :kick: :oops:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
Kawinj
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Kawinj »

>|<>QBB<
quailchaser wrote:The likelyhood of an impact from a get off damaging the gas cap is pretty slim. Although, you are proof that it can and does happen.

Next time you look at the two bikes, check out the slope of the gas tank. Now think about how likely you are to start singing soprano on the KDX compared to the CRF in many varying scenarios. :shock: :kick: :oops:

Exactly my point QC. When the bike lays on it's side, there are so many other things protruding out further on the bike to take the hit ie: footpeg, expansion chamber, bar ends etc. The bike fell on this rock at the just the right point doing the damage. It buckled the tank around the opening too.

Yes, I've slid forward on that tank many times and have done the "standing up on the pegs jig" to try and put things back in place :mrgreen: