How long does can KDX idle and what ratio do you run?

Got questions? We got answers....
SteveWR450f

How long does can KDX idle and what ratio do you run?

Post by SteveWR450f »

I have 2 kdx 220s. My son's 03 has reeds and pipe but basically stock. Got the bike from the original owner and the way he adjusted the idle the bike can idle for ever.

My KDX is brand new with plenty of bling on it. RB modified carb and head included with VForce 3 reeds, etc. The way the mechanic put the bike together it will only idle for 20 seconds or less. His theory is that engines should not idle for long periods of time - too much heat and not enough premix I guess?. Anyway, rode the bike for the first time yesterday - loved it but it was a pain when the bike died - such as when I was going down hills and pulled the clutch in. I am thinking about adjusting the idle but dont know the right balance.

Finally, both bikes ran too rich and my son's bike fouled its plug. Running 32:1 with Castrol 927 (given too me.) Mechanic says I should run 44:1.
What are your thoughts with a RB modified motor?

Thanks for your time,

Steve
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

40:1... who is this mechanic?
Your bike should be able to sit there and idle indefinately. Heat from idling? NAH!!!!! I can put my hand on the jug after idling for 15 minutes.

How is your bike jetted being that it's a 220? Elevation? CC..... Are you near Steve?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

As Inda says, it should idle forever. Set the idle to where it will run nice and smooth on its own. What is the airscrew set at?

Choose a good synthetic oil and run it at 40:1 and call it good. I run Amsoil Interceptor at 40:1 and it works great.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)