Dead CDI unit $$$$$$$$$

Got questions? We got answers....
UFS207

Dead CDI unit $$$$$$$$$

Post by UFS207 »

Is there any aftermarket source for the stock CDI unit on '95 and up KDX's? Mine is shot along with the exciter coil on the stator. Found a new coil from rickystator.com for $40 but the CDI is proving to be more problematic. Kawasaki wants over $300(!?!) for this stupid little thing.

Don't suppose anyone has a used spare they might be willing to part with for a slightly more reasonable amount?
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Electrex in the UK has them. I think they are around $70.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

All Kawi OEM parts are expensive. Everytime I've checked to buy things, they've been 3X more pricey.

Look to the web... and give MonkeyButtParts.com an e-mail or call. About 90% of the time they are cheaper. 5% same price. 5% slightly more expensive.

Rick
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
UFS207

Post by UFS207 »

I checked electrex and they wanted around $140 plus 30 or so for shipping. Add that to the fact that it could possibly be a month or more to get the part and I nixed that idea quick. Monkeybuttparts didn't seem to have much of anything specifically for the KDX. Thanks for the heads-up though.

I decided to email the sales dept from Fredette's site about a used part or aftermarket alternative and got a email back from the man himself saying they have them for 1/2 the price of what Kawasaki wants. I'll be going that route.

All in all this is the most expensive single "won't run till I do this" fix I've ever had to do on any bike. Basically everything related to the ignition was dead. I have no idea what happened. Started getting hard to start towards the end of an all day ride and finally wouldn't start at all. So far I've had to replace the ignition coil and cap ($80), exciter coil ($40) and now I'm looking at a $150-$175 CDI box for a grand total of around $300. I did my CR125 front end swap for less. Just goes to show that no matter how well you maintain your stuff things break. If I had to buy these parts from kawasaki directly I'd be over $700 in the hole.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Did you use a multimeter and check the values first? That is a very important step in keeping costs down. The "swap out" method of troubleshooting is kind of expensive as you now know - it would be very improbable for all those parts to fail simultaneously.

Btw, ebay has the black boxes for sale on a fairly regular basis, most go for under 100. It looks like one is up for auction right now - with about 5 days left.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

MonkeyButt doesn't have it on their web page, but if you call them, and ask, they can find you just about anything. And it tends to be cheaper.

Rick
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Wasn't there some guy from South America that depotted one, then not only provided the details of how to build one but how to improve the ignition curve as well?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
UFS207

Post by UFS207 »

Multimeter? Is that a technical term for a calculator?

Seriously though, yes, I followed the factory service manual to the tee and went through everything related to the ignition with 2 different multimeters (a cheap digital craftsman and borrowed a really nice fluke to double check). My old CB750K taught me all I needed to know about using one.

Open circuit on the exciter coil. Open circuit on the secondary windings on the ignition coil. Crazy readings from the CDI unit including around 7K ohms for every connection that is suppost to read infinity.

As for it being improbable for all the parts to fail at once....my guess is the exciter shorted and killed everything behind it.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Yikes! :sad:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:Wasn't there some guy from South America that depotted one, then not only provided the details of how to build one but how to improve the ignition curve as well?
Yeah that was Jaguar - He's got the info on his KDX pages.

http://www.geocities.com/a57ngel/moto/CDI-mod.html
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Thanks m0rie. Thought I had lost my mind. After reading that again, I am reminded that Jag is one sharp dude!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I have that schiz in my gallery...have linked to it several times. For 'local' reference:

I have a modified CDI I bought from him. Problem is, the wiring harness isn't the same and I was hesitant to change the harness not knowing what was what.

I'd be glad to send it to you...but the harness thing would make it too iffy, imo. If it didn't work...is it wired wrong or not?

If you are interested, send me an email or something.

Did you ever do any welding on the bike? That'll do it.

A shorted exciter coil only puts out less (or no) voltage. No damage to anything. The culprit is elsewhere.

Trust me when I say I feel your pain.

The problem with troubleshooting a CDI that is considered failed AFTER the exciter has been replaced is this: A LOT of times a GOOD CDI won't work after the source/trigger coil has been replaced. The winding of them is so picky, you can rewind it and have it not work after you're done. RS is supposed to know how. I know Electrex does NOT know how. Several instances of riders using their coils and having beaucoup problems afterward.

I've recently had trouble with stated manual specs for electronics that were dead wrong. Made me think there was a problem where there was none.

I didn't look for the earlier thread on this...but there was a comment on grounds. Yours ARE all good, right? By 'good' I don't mean they look ok, but have been re-crimped, soldered, sanded and re-placed.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
UFS207

Post by UFS207 »

I decided to take a break from messing with the bike, I was just fed up with it and didn't feel like dropping more money on it at the time. Earlier this week I was all set to call up FRP and order a used CDI for $150 but something told me to check everyone's favorite online auction site beforehand.

Anyways, managed to snag the entire electrical system off a 2002 KDX220 for just under $165 shipped. Got the rotor, complete stator plate, CDI, voltage regulator, ignition coil and cap. Going to just swap everything over and redo all the grounds as I go.

Canyncarvr: I appreciate the offer and the advice. Not sure I would have trusted myself to properly rewire the thing anyhow so I'm glad I held out a bit longer.