Must-have Accessories

Got questions? We got answers....
bash3r

Must-have Accessories

Post by bash3r »

Ok.. so I got my KDX, ridden it once, and now I'm ready to gear up for some trails. Maybe we can sticky this one if we get a good response. I need some recommendations from you guys on a few things, so here we go:

1. Handguards (currently i have stock bars, going to use them until a. i bend them, b. offseason upgrades), which do you suggest.

2. Tool bag - what items HAVE to be in it. Right now only a spark plug wrench.

3. Trailer gear - what tools/parts do you suggest to always have handy. (besides gas :)

4. GPS Mount - I have a Magellen eXplorist 400 and want to get a RAM mount for it, where's a good place to order from?

5. What else - any other equipment would you recommend for trail riding either on your bike, rig or self.

Thanks guys for the expert advice. :prayer: Looking forward to riding with some of you.
'03 KDX 220
xagentman

Post by xagentman »

IMO...

1. go aftermarket with the bars the stock ones bend like a stick of butter. I would also tell you to pick up a pair of Acerbis bark busters for hand protection. (i like the aluminium reinforced ones)

2. I carry and extra plug, a rag, a plug wrench, and a leatherman tool. these items cover most things.

3. I've just got the regular tie downs and bungees

4. no idea.

5. I like to take the last bit of a TP roll for those discreat "behind the bush" moments. :grin:
==05 KDX220R==
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

1. You will have to drill or cut off the ends on your stock bars if you want to use aluminum Bark Buster type hand guards.

2. Carry some Zip-Ty's, a little bailing wire, 6, 8, 10 and 12mm sockets and a shorty socket wrench and a short extension. a vial of premix ... enough for a gallon of gas... most folks you run into in the woods are usually on a 4 stroker. Along with what else was said....

Always take a First Aid kit with you and stick it behind the seat of the truck.

GPS... never used one...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Discussion of backpack/fender kit supplies:

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... st+aid+kit
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
danfree

Post by danfree »

What would be a good choice in bars IF you have to raise the forks about 1/2" due to a kouba lowering link AND eventually want to install a damper? The oversize bars have no crossbar, right? Would that be helpful for clearance issues? Are there oversize bar clamps that bolt on to the KDX with conventional forks?
2008 Yam FZ6
2005 KDX 200
bash3r

Post by bash3r »

>|<>QBB<
xagentman wrote:IMO...

1. go aftermarket with the bars the stock ones bend like a stick of butter. I would also tell you to pick up a pair of Acerbis bark busters for hand protection. (i like the aluminium reinforced ones)

2. I carry and extra plug, a rag, a plug wrench, and a leatherman tool. these items cover most things.

3. I've just got the regular tie downs and bungees

4. no idea.

5. I like to take the last bit of a TP roll for those discreat "behind the bush" moments. :grin:
yeah! i can't believe i didn't think of the TP roll. maybe some baby wet wipes to be sure its clean :butthead:
'03 KDX 220
KanuckKDX

Post by KanuckKDX »

TP?

Man you guys are careful. And wet wipes? I don't even keep them at home.

Have a dump, scrape off the excess with whatever is handy if it's one of those, or ignore the clingons until you get home.

I actually keep paper towel in the kit for emergencies when someone drowns a bike and we want to dry the airway. I can imagine loaning or using it if needed.

I got my RAM mount online by googling RAM mounts. The price was the same no matter where I looked. It was a great mount but I hated carrying the GPS.

I carry hose clamps in a few sizes. we use them for lots of fixes. We made a broken axle work once with them.

We always ride in a group of two or more and try not to duplicate too much of the extras we carry. After the stock tool kits we make up, we tend to each have our own pet extras. This has proven to be fortunate many times and as a result we only towed a bike 10 miles once.
KanuckKDX
'01 YZ426F son's
'02 XR400 still for sale
'04 KTM 450exc it's all about the e-start
bash3r

Post by bash3r »

I guess it depends on where you are riding if you need a GPS or not, some of the trails are crazy and you can get lost easy. Its a nice tool to have and use to map out trails you've already rode.

ps. I was kidding about the wet wipes :lol:
'03 KDX 220
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

ps. I was kidding about the wet wipes
Sure :wink:
bash3r

Post by bash3r »

you know i'm packin a few in a zip loc now. :grin:
'03 KDX 220
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I have an '02 and I'm still running the stock bars. I must not crash enough 'cause I've never bent them.
What I did do was cut them down to 28" and put on Moose aluminum bar handguards.
I also used some extra top clampy things and put them under the bars and replaced the bolts with longer studs to raise my bars about 3/4". Works good for me.
I use a Checkmate II enduro computer instead of the stock odometer. It is fun to pick a set of trails you've run several times and write in a short program that pushes you time wise and see if you can make it.
As far as trail tools, I don't carry very much, spare plug for that guy on the KTM, spare master link for that guy on the Honda, that sort of thing, and a rag to wipe the sweat off while I'm waiting for them :lol:
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
bash3r

Post by bash3r »

KarlP wrote:As far as trail tools, I don't carry very much, spare plug for that guy on the KTM, spare master link for that guy on the Honda, that sort of thing, and a rag to wipe the sweat off while I'm waiting for them :lol:
Now that what I'm talking about, this kind of advice is priceless! thx!
'03 KDX 220
tim
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by tim »

I just put on a renthal 29 inch bar for a kx65 with moose bark busters. had to cut the clutch lever off about 1-1/2 inch so it did not hit.
06 200H

GALLERY!