Okay to ride a KDX on the street?

Got questions? We got answers....
condoor

Okay to ride a KDX on the street?

Post by condoor »

First post on the forum, so go easy. I'm torn between an XR250 and a KDX200. I'd like to get a plate for ether bike (which shouldn't be a problem for either in my state) and be able to ride it from camp to and from trails (<10 miles one way). I've read that it isn't a great idea to run two strokes for extended periods of time at any given rpm - Is this also true of the KDX?? Is it a bad idea to think about running this bike on the street some?

I also wanted to know how much mileage I can expect to get on a tank of gas.

I tried the search function, but I'm not able to search on just the titles so I end up with pages of threads that are largely irrevelant to my search.

thx-c
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

10 miles isn't so much.

At this point, you must figure out whther having a more comfortable street performer or a more capable off-road performer is at a higher priority.

I myself get about 50-55 miles on a full tank. The others here usually get more, but I assume something's wrong with my bike.
UFS207

Post by UFS207 »

An XR250 would probably make a better dual-sport. I have an older one as well as a KDX220. You'd get probably 50-60 mpg out of the XR and it should last much longer in a sustained high-rpm running environment. I'll bet the KDX would be lucky to top 30mpg on the open road. As soon as you hit the dirt the KDX would be the superior choice though as it's lighter and considerably more powerful.

Personally, if you want to plate it I would not get either bike. Find a nice used XR400R and go from there. They aren't really much heavier than a 250 and in stock form they are really tame, easy to ride bikes with killer low-end power. You will have the power to pull gearing that will allow the bike to comfortably cruise 55-60mph and still have fun on the trails.
condoor

Post by condoor »

>|<>QBB<
UFS207 wrote:An XR250 would probably make a better dual-sport. I have an older one as well as a KDX220. You'd get probably 50-60 mpg out of the XR and it should last much longer in a sustained high-rpm running environment. I'll bet the KDX would be lucky to top 30mpg on the open road. As soon as you hit the dirt the KDX would be the superior choice though as it's lighter and considerably more powerful.

Personally, if you want to plate it I would not get either bike. Find a nice used XR400R and go from there. They aren't really much heavier than a 250 and in stock form they are really tame, easy to ride bikes with killer low-end power. You will have the power to pull gearing that will allow the bike to comfortably cruise 55-60mph and still have fun on the trails.
Funny you should mention the XR400. I have a line on a 2001 XR400 for $2200 - seems like a pretty good deal for my area. I just assumed it was too much bike for me though (see - 'too heavy for offroad). (I'm 5'11, 190lbs, and rode a few days a week for several years in my teens, but haven't ridden in 15 years)
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Good bikes... Dead reliable and pistons last forever. Go for it - no need to sway a kdx on you if you've got a good deal going and are looking to dual-sport.
UFS207

Post by UFS207 »

My main riding buddy has a 1996 XR400R and I have spent plenty of time on his bike. I'm your height and about 30lbs lighter....I have no troubles with his bike's weight unless I'm really worn down and on tight single-track (like at the end of an all day ride).

I'd say as long as you give yourself some re-learning time before hitting a tough trial you won't have any problems with a 400. Like I said, it is a very easy to ride bike power-wise.

$2200 sounds very reasonable for an '01 provided the bike is in good shape. My friend paid around $1600 for his '96 early last year.
condoor

Post by condoor »

Ehhhhhh - the words 'dual sport' send shivers down my spine. :shock:

I've had a dual sport XT125, KL250, and most recently a DRZ400s. They all had the dual sport tires and weighed a ton - didn't do anything really well.

I want a full on dirt bike - that spends 98% of it's time on the trail or trailer, but has the ability (see legal and won't blow up) to drive on the street for short distances (never more than 10 miles or so at a time just to get to a trail). I'm leaning on the KDX, I just want to make sure that I'm not going to hurt the bike by driving it on the street for 10 or so miles at a time every now and then.

thx
Chris
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

Judging by our last post I think you would be happier on a kdx than an xr 400 or 250. My dad used to have an xr400 it had good power down low but the kdx with a few mods would spank it pretty much everywhere else. The kdx was also alot easier and less tiresome to ride at speed in the woods.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

It won't hurt the KDX to ride up the street for 15 or 20 minutes at a time, ocassionally. Just watch the jetting and don't go WOT the whole way, I guess. Mine doesn't like the street much, but it doesn't mind cruising at 30-40 mph in top gear a 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, either. I sure wouldn't want to do it all day!
The XR400 is a pretty capable woods bike. I had one for a number of years and really enjoyed it. I did find that the KDX is MORE capable and a lot less tiring.

Mileage will depend so much on the trails you end up on. I prefer to think of it as a time and tank thing. After two and a half hours I can expect to be getting close to reserve, if not already on it.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

^ Agreed.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project