parts cleaning

Got questions? We got answers....
danfree

parts cleaning

Post by danfree »

I have removed the swingarm and doing some basic maint while waiting for the kouba links to arrive. Since I can't afford a contract with SafetyKleen, what is a good product for cleaning parts? I drained the gas tank so I guess I could use the old fuel in a pinch, but what are you guys using? I need something that cuts through old grease, but won't harm the rubber seals and such. Maybe something that you would use for Oring chains. I think I got a pretty good deal on this bike, not a rat but rode hard and put away wet! Also, can you recommend a chain tool for removing the master link (product name like Motion Pro, Tusk)? Do I need a chain breaker as well? The previous owner replaced the sprockets and chain, but it sure looked loose to me. Seemed to ride OK on my test ride, but it may be several weeks before it is ready to ride again. Thanks for the great site.
2008 Yam FZ6
2005 KDX 200
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

try some wd 40, spray it , let sit for a while, scrub and wipe. Worked good for me.
chaintool to remove master link? I use needlenose pliers
chain breaker? good old grinder works for me
make sure the front sprocket still has the snap ring or circlip correctly installed an check the bolts on the rear, mine were loose :shock: since god knows how long :? I should have used locktite when I installed them :roll:
hope this help
wilf
BTW welcome :partyman:
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

I use CRC brake clean then simple green after works good. I pull all the bearings and bushings (swingarm, linkage, shock, steering stem, wheels. three times a year for inspection or cleaning and repack. I just replaced OEM rear wheel bearings and shock lower bearing. Over kill ? maybe!! but this is off a 2000 KDX so that is 7.5 years on OEM originals. Oh and I ride 52 - 80 days a year 25-60 miles a ride.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I guess if you live out in the sticks you use whatever you have on hand, but a chainbreaker and chain press works for me. Motion Pro makes good tools

Degreasing I use Simple Green and my pressure washer, just don't get crazy around the bearings and you'll be ok.

Really tough degreasing I'll resort to some spray on carb cleaner, the stuff really works great on spooge too! (even better than Yamaha Combustion Chamber Cleaner)
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I borrowed one of the wife's Tupperware containers that had a lid. I regularly use brake clean on parts and all the excess brake clean goes into the container instead of loosing it all on the ground. I have created a parts cleaning soaking bin. There is some kerosene in there too. I pour it through coffee filters to get rid of the big stuff. I have soaked a 15 year old XL250 totally crusted over carb in that overnight and it turned out spotless. And as most of my little adventures of borrowing containers from the kitchen turn out, I got royally reamed for the missing Tupperware. So remember to hide the thing where the little lady will never see it. That reminds me of the GE Profile dishwasher “parts cleaner” I had installed in the kitchen. If she reads this post it will be my last.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
grump99

Post by grump99 »

>|<>QBB<
bradf wrote:I borrowed one of the wife's Tupperware containers that had a lid. I regularly use brake clean on parts and all the excess brake clean goes into the container instead of loosing it all on the ground. I have created a parts cleaning soaking bin. There is some kerosene in there too. I pour it through coffee filters to get rid of the big stuff. I have soaked a 15 year old XL250 totally crusted over carb in that overnight and it turned out spotless. And as most of my little adventures of borrowing containers from the kitchen turn out, I got royally reamed for the missing Tupperware. So remember to hide the thing where the little lady will never see it. That reminds me of the GE Profile dishwasher “parts cleaner” I had installed in the kitchen. If she reads this post it will be my last.
:prayer: :supz:
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

I wouldn't advise using the gas to clean your parts with. Gas is way to volatile, no sense burning down you and your garage.

Most petroleum products outlets sell parts washing fluid in 5 gallon cans.

You can also get Mineral spirits and kerosene in gallon cans.

KanuckKDX

Post by KanuckKDX »

>|<>QBB<
bradf wrote:I borrowed one of the wife's Tupperware containers that had a lid. I regularly use brake clean on parts and all the excess brake clean goes into the container instead of loosing it all on the ground. I have created a parts cleaning soaking bin. There is some kerosene in there too. I pour it through coffee filters to get rid of the big stuff. I have soaked a 15 year old XL250 totally crusted over carb in that overnight and it turned out spotless. And as most of my little adventures of borrowing containers from the kitchen turn out, I got royally reamed for the missing Tupperware. So remember to hide the thing where the little lady will never see it. That reminds me of the GE Profile dishwasher “parts cleaner” I had installed in the kitchen. If she reads this post it will be my last.
I have ice cream buckets, used plastic food containers of various sizes, dish and laundry detergent buckets. Tupperware costs money and is seriously overkill for garage work.

Parts cleaner (solvent) is cheap. I use it, filter it through a rag and use it again and again. Most of the time the solids settle and I can decant it.

I probably wouldn't use parts cleaner on my rubber parts. Clean the chain using WD40, another cheap cleaning solution.
KanuckKDX
'01 YZ426F son's
'02 XR400 still for sale
'04 KTM 450exc it's all about the e-start