I want to get a KDX

Got questions? We got answers....
sylvain

I want to get a KDX

Post by sylvain »

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to buy a KDX 220.

I'd like to know what do I have to look for if I set my goal on a used bike ?

I have a few dirt bikes and the kdx would be for my son. He started riding on a TY 250 a couple years ago and now he is on an IT 175 1982. I'd like to get him a newer machine with better brakes, suspension etc. Naturally I'm also thinking about the grin it will put on my face when I'll be the one riding it :mrgreen: . My wr 426 is a handful in tight and very rough trails.

Also if I decide to gat a new one , what would be a good price ?

I live in Quebec and this bike is very popular here.
Sylvain
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Is there a reason that you decided on the 220 instead of the 200?

The 220 has some issues with the piston but is a great bike none the less. The piston being changed to a Wiseco is something you should look for... this is a good thing.

Things you want on a used bike are.... a skid plate, changed bars (Ditch the carbon steel for aluminum), aluminum bark-busters and a FMF or Pro-Circuit pipe and silencer. These are all cost items you will want to add and if someone else has already done it... then it reduces your total cost of ownership. Jetting is cheap so I didn't even mention it in there.

Canadian prices are higher I know.... In USD around 4K wound be a good new price. Sometimes you can find left over last year models for even cheaper... this is the way to go since either H model KDX hasn't changed since the first one rolled off the assembly line other than paint, plastic color and graphics.

Oh... and welcome to the site!

Indawoods :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
sylvain

Post by sylvain »

Thanks I appreciate your reply.
Sylvain
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Some other mechanical things to look for when you test ride it...

KDX's have a KIPS (Kawasaki Intregrated Power Valve System) and this starts to open up at 6K RPM. If you ride it and you don't feel a serious pull starting around 6K, this means the KIPS is malfunctioning. Check the steering, swingarm, and wheels for play, chances are all these components will need greased immediately anyway after you are the owner. But these are good bargaining chips to help drive the price down.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

the 200 are not sold anymore in canada, quebec since 1995-96.why?i dont know.maybe the market is too small.If you deceide to buy a new 220,you should pay 5000cnd+tax.but hurry next year they will stop sell kdx and 2-stoke bike. :? :? :? :? :? 220 new or use is a awsome choice.go for it
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I bought my 220 and it's new piston. I have'nt changed the piston yet. I took it out yesterday and road the heck out of it. I put 41 hard miles on it. Or should I say 41 hard miles on me, I can barely walk today! LOL!!! I plan on swaping the piston before it's next voyage. It's an awsome bike! Lot's of low end grunt. I was very happy with the performance, I just have to catch my body up with the bike now.

KDXQuebec, I have'nt heard anything about them stopping production of the KDX. where did you hear that? What year is the last year '05 or '06?

Jon.
KDXSean
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXSean »

Sylvain

I bought an '01 220 in march of '03 and paid $3,700. I live in Ottawa and found it at a dealer in Toronto.

Search dealer web sites and see what you can find.

I think I saw a left over '04 at the dealer here in Ottawa for around $4,700. I would recommend you find a used one, save some dollars and buy some goodies instead.

Happy Hunting
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the group.

jafo, search for 2006 two stroke ban on Google. It has been widely speculated that 2006 will be the last year for a KDX in its current form.

Check the bearings. My buddy, group member wsjkawasaki, bought a used 1997 that had been neglected on the maintenance. He had to buy the following new bearings:

front wheel
rear wheel
swingarm
linkage
lower shock bearing

The steering stem bearings were still good, surprisingly.

Do check for the KIPS to kick in around 6,000 RPM as IndaWoods mentioned. Try to check the air filter for cleanliness (take a 1/4" drive ratchet and 8mm socket to take the seat off and look under the seat for the airbox. The airbox lid pulls up with no tools and you can get an idea of the maintenance kept on the bike.

Try to ask how often was the air filter cleaned and oil, fluids changed, etc. If you start getting some "uhhhhh" looks when you ask them, that might be a warning sign.

Again, welcome to the group.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128