Can you paint the calipers?

Got questions? We got answers....
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Can you paint the calipers?

Post by Ryan »

Just wondering if anyone has tried to paint the brake calipers to add a little flare? I know it is aluminum and i am not sure how well paint sticks to it.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Can you paint the calipers?

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
Ryan wrote:Just wondering if anyone has tried to paint the brake calipers to add a little flare? I know it is aluminum and i am not sure how well paint sticks to it.
I was tempted when I installed the USDs . . . why would the calipers being aluminum impact paint adhesion? What did the "caliper paint" can directions say?
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

i know there is special paint that is made to bond better with aluminum than steel so i was wondering if anyone had tried using regular paint. Didnt know if it mattered or not. Can i use regular rattle can paint or do i have to use something else?
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

IN A WORD, YES... I just used a fairly cheap can of silver spray enamel and it still looks great a year later.

BEFORE...

AFTER...Image

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

sweet, sounds like a good idea, although i am not sure it i can bare having to bleed the brakes again. I took me soooooo long last time. Like at least an hour. It took me less time on my car than it did for my bike.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

My god, what were you doing that took you that long?! It's incredible simple and shouldnt take more than 10 minutes.

I wonder what it would take to anodize those calipers, would look kind of funky though with a metallic blue finish.
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

>|<>QBB<
thebleakness wrote:My god, what were you doing that took you that long?! It's incredible simple and shouldnt take more than 10 minutes.

I wonder what it would take to anodize those calipers, would look kind of funky though with a metallic blue finish.
i do not know what took so long... I could not figure it out either but the brakes dont work great. Dont know why, i cant do a front wheelie no matter how hard i try.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

i do not know what took so long... I could not figure it out either but the brakes dont work great. Dont know why, i cant do a front wheelie no matter how hard i try.
sounds like you need to bleed your brakes.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Another fine KDXer job! You are the DIY king, and a great one at that!

How'd you "prep" the calipers? I've got like some deposits on mine that don't want to come off. Lots of heat bakes crud on, I suppose.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

>|<>QBB<
Ryan wrote:>|<>QBB<
thebleakness wrote:My god, what were you doing that took you that long?! It's incredible simple and shouldnt take more than 10 minutes.

Are you sure it just isn't your front tire and the traction that its getting? I can do a stoppie no problem, just needs to be a place with decent traction e.g. grass.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

>|<>QBB<
Jeb wrote:Another fine KDXer job! You are the DIY king, and a great one at that!

How'd you "prep" the calipers? I've got like some deposits on mine that don't want to come off. Lots of heat bakes crud on, I suppose.
Thank you very much for the kind remarks.

I just used some degreaser and wiped it down well, followed my some contact cleaner (not sure if brake cleaner is the same thing but it basically evaporates leaving no residue), then about 3 or so coats of silver. Job done....

BTW everyone should do themselves a favour and buy some speed bleeders for your brakes. They are the best, crack the nipple half a turn, connect some hose and run it into a jar, now just keep pumping until no air bubbles are coming out and nip up the nipple. It takes me 5 miuntes to flush and refresh my brake fluid, quicker to just bleed them.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:
sounds like you need to bleed your brakes.
thats what i was doing...
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I meant: again...
Make sure the reservoir is the highest (I remove it from the handlebar) and you have the least amount of bends in the line. I also tap gently the line while pumping to remove microbubbles. I don't know if it's the correct procedure but it worked. I need to get a brake bleeder like KDXer suggested, make the job much easier and faster. good luck
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Buy some speed bleeders or a vaccuum kit if they are giving you that much trouble. Vaccuum pumps/bleeder's come in handy for all sorts of stuff too.
I wonder what it would take to anodize those calipers
Anodizing can be done in all kinds of colors....Including silver. If you were gonns do that it may be worth your trouble to polish the cast material first.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

how do i post pics.. I cant get it to work.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

1.upload pics in your gallery
2.right clic on your pic in the gallery
3.go to properties
4.select the adress URL
5.copy
6.in your post clic on "IMG"
7.paste
8.clic on "IMG*"
9.voila! done
:wink:
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

thanks for the info. Ok here are the pics. Btw does anyone know how to switch the Photo that shows up when browsing through the gallery? thanks

Anyway here are the pics. They look really cool on the bike.

Tell me what you think
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Looks nice...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dave04kdx »

Looks good!

To prep aluminum for painting use Zinc Chromate Primer. The Zinc Chromate adheres to the aluminum.
At age 4 success is . . not peeing in your pants.
At age 12 success is . . having friends.
At age 16 success is having a drivers license.
At age 35 success is having money.
At age 50 success is . . having money.
At age 70 success is . . . having a drivers license.
At age 75 success is . having friends.
At age 80 success is . not peeing in your pants.
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

i put them on the bike and they look pretty cool. I will be curious to see how the paint holds up.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250