Title Question

Got questions? We got answers....
bash3r

Title Question

Post by bash3r »

I bought my KDX from a friend, Tim, and he bought it from his friend John. John is the original owner and John's name is still on the title. When Tim bought it from John, John filled out the Seller's portion of the title, but Tim never got it switched to his name. So now I have it and the title is in John's name and an Indiana certificate.

I live in Missouri and am wondering what I'd likely have to do to get the title in my name now? Anyone ran into a similar issue?

Thanks!!
'03 KDX 220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

In Illinois... who cares? In your state it may be different but we don't even require a title for an offroad bike.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jmarty

Post by jmarty »

I bought a truck once with the same issue. I went to the DMV and they told me to see if I could find the person who's was the last owner on the title. Would you believe he was in the phone book and answered his phone? Anyway, the DMV gave me form for him to sign that basically stated the buyer on the title was an error. I dont remember the form name or number, but thats all it took. This was in Texas, your mileage may vary. Anyway, start with your DMV, might be very simple since the original owner is a friend of your friend.
Marty
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

In NY I think you would have 2 choices. I bet your state would be similar.
1) Have the original owner apply for a replacement title. When he gets it, sign it over to you.
2) Have owner number 2 use the title he has to title it in his name, and then sign it over to you once he gets it back from DMV (this is probably faster but more costly...it costs $50.00 to title a vehicle in ny).
Joe
'01 KDX200
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Sounds like it's still 'open' to me. In other words...according to the title you just bought it from "John" Aslong as the BUYER info is never fill out it doesn't matter. You can keep it the way it is (which is still a valid title), or take it in and get it registered.

When a seller signs a title off, and the buyer fills in nothing then it's basically like a blank check. You can transfer this through 100 owners that never sign or register it, and the DMV will never know.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
bash3r

Post by bash3r »

Here's a snipet from the MO DMV. But I am not finding information about off-road motorcycles, just licensed motorcycles and ATVs.
You have 30 days from the date of purchase to title and pay sales tax on your newly purchased ATV. If you do not title the ATV within 30 days, there is a title penalty of $25 on the 31st day after purchase. The penalty increases another $25 for every 30 days you are late with a maximum penalty of $200.

* No sales tax is due on a used ATV purchased from an individual for $3,000 or less.
* There is no exemption from paying sales tax on an ATV purchased for “farm use”.
* “Off-road utility vehicles” do not meet the definition of a motor vehicle or ATV, and will not be titled and registered. Examples of off-road utility vehicles include, but are not limited to:
o Minicab,
o Mule,
o Gator,
o Max/Buffalo, Etc.
'03 KDX 220
bash3r

Post by bash3r »

So here's the response i got back from the MO DMV, man this could not be fun!
Thank you for your email inquiry. Your friend will need to get a title in his name and sign it over to you or a statement from his state. The statement must state the vehicle does not need to be titled in that state and be on letter head. If you cannot obtain either document you will need to obtain a court order awarding you ownership of the unit.
The court order you will need is a Declaratory Judgment obtained through the Circuit Court.

Have a nice day!
'03 KDX 220
80elkster
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by 80elkster »

I had this happen to me with my El Camino in the state of Washington, where the original owner had signed and dated the title while the second, whom I bought the elky from, never changed the title to his name. So I contacted the owner still on the title and had him write me out a new bill of sale with a new date on it.
Good luck
06 DR650 Farkled
91 WR250 2T
00 300EXC (Sold)
79 XS850 (Sold)
79 CR250 (Sold)
78 IT400 (Stolen)
75 G5 100 Kawi (Gave it away)
73 F7 175 Kawi (Sold)
70 175 Brigestone (Recycled)
05 KDX200(Son's)
93 KDX200
75 KT250 Trials
250 Quads
Just glad to be ridin!
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Fill it out yourself
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Is there anything on the title in relation to "Tim"
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

>|<>QBB<
Green Hornet wrote:Fill it out yourself
I had the same thought. Only issue may be that you said John filled out the sellers portion.

If he dated it, it may be a problem as IIRC you have only a finite time to file the paperwork. If he didn't date it, just complete yourself and take it down to the DMV. If you're a friend of a friend of John, I doubt he is going to dispute anything in the massively unlikely event that he's ever contacted.

I'd do something, it's always nice to have the paperwork sorted out. Some buyers don't care, others do, maximise your chances of easily selling it when it comes time.
bash3r

Post by bash3r »

The title has no reference to Tim, but he dated it 7/26/06. I bought it 3/31/07 so they'd probably charge me the late fees, if i read it right.. the max they will charge is $200.. if he wouldn't of dated it. bamo it'd be set because Tim is no where on there..
'03 KDX 220
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

>|<>QBB<
bash3r wrote:The title has no reference to Tim, but he dated it 7/26/06. I bought it 3/31/07 so they'd probably charge me the late fees, if i read it right.. the max they will charge is $200.. if he wouldn't of dated it. bamo it'd be set because Tim is no where on there..
I guess you could try your luck down at the DMV, maybe flutter your eyelids at the 350 pound 'hottie' behind the counter and see if she takes pity on you. Failing that, wait a year so you can take a pen and change the 06 on the title into into an 08 ;-)
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

maybe flutter your eyelids at the 350 pound 'hottie'
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

:lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
bash3r

Post by bash3r »

crazybrit.. thats it man!!! i just looked at the numbers, it's been 8 months since my bud bought it from the original owner, so 8 * 25 = $200, the max penalty is $200 so it doesn't matter if i title it in 2 yrs its still $200 fee. so i wait till next year, 7/26/08 and bamo.. i'm in! then its no money out of my pocket.. muahahah!!

forget the hottie idea man, they are far from it down at the DMV!
'03 KDX 220