Rear shock evaluation

Got questions? We got answers....
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Rear shock evaluation

Post by kdxquebec »

I bought a rear shock on ebay.This is a 92 kdx200 shock. I know nothing in shock. The seller is a dealer and he do not know if the shock was serviced. I received it today.

The shock was dirty with dry mud but no sign or stains of oil anywhere.The shaft is good and no chips or dents.I give screwdriver hit on the gas valve and i heard a lillte psiiifff. The shock have no foam/ rubber bumper. The bottom adjust scrwe was stuck.I tried to move her. And now I hear clicks but many clics...the screw is free ...I can turn the screw for hours! Mabe the screw is broke?

The adjust screw on the shock gas bottle works good.

My question: is there a way to know the condition of a shock without dissasembly?

Do the broken adjust screw can hurt someting? maybe we can not adjust the screw but she is on the 16 clic range anyway?

Can we run a bike witout a shock bottom bumper??

The shock seem to work good but i do not know shocks.

Witch tool is used to measure the amout of nitrogen in the shock?

Look at my wonderful test :? http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/ ... 007002.flv
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I guess I would just send it off for an oil change and nitrogen recharge. There is very little nitrogen in there, anyway. I don't think you can test the nitrogen pressure without loosing most of it.

Karl
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

just open it up yourself, clean the parts, refill with fresh oil and have a shop refill the N2. It's really easy to tear it down, (the hard part is removing the shock from the bike) if I can do it then anybody can. watch out for the snap ring, one is bigger than the other.
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:just open it up yourself, clean the parts, refill with fresh oil and have a shop refill the N2. It's really easy to tear it down, (the hard part is removing the shock from the bike) if I can do it then anybody can. watch out for the snap ring, one is bigger than the other.
agreed, just pop it open and check it out.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

ryan, you still selling the 220?