Just got the new springs - checking questions

Got questions? We got answers....
hoodoo

Post by hoodoo »

I posted on the XR forum on Thumpertalk to get my springs. I had 4 responses in a couple of days and I paid 20 bucks for my almost brand new springs. the XR guys change thier springs out almost immeadiatly for better springs so alot of them have laying around the garage.
The ones I got were 01..I think, 40kg's.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

OEM KDX springs are in the 470mm range. US Honda XRs generally are in the 530mm range. This goes back quite a ways, but J. Wilkey (MX-Tech) has indictated the Honda springs are indeed hotwound, not coldwound as most aftermarket springs. Hotwound springs are less prone to failure.

All a matter of personal preference I suppose. My preference would be to put as much spring in the available space as can be stuft in there. Why put a 3"+ piece of steel tube in your forks? The suspension value of a piece of tubing is...what?

Plus, that gives you something like 35mm+ preload. That's just stupid, IMO.

Still, the reason I chose the XR springs is their superiority. I tried .42s, two sets of .40s, one of those the XRs. There was a considerable difference between the coldwound Eibach .40s and the Honda springs.

Some (well, only one that I know of) tried 'em and didn't like 'em.

I don't ride his bike, so I don't care WHAT he's got in it!

:cool:

An aside..posting your question as a separate thread would likely get you better response.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Actually, Eibach doesn't make .40's for a KDX. They are odd number rated like .37, .39, .41, etc.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yes yes yes...so I've heard.

Wilkey said they were Eibach springs. I have no idea. I don't know that they were 'for' a KDX. They fit. They were supposed to be .40s, they were said to be Eibachs.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

None of the Eibach springs that would physically fit inside a 43mm conventional KDX fork tube are even numbered. They are all odd number rated. The particular series designated for the 43m conventional KDX fork tubes is the 996 series. They are odd number rated and 510mm long, which is about 40mm longer than stock springs or the springs he lists on his site. He gets some of his springs from SpringMaker (Cannon RaceCraft) and theirs are 470mm long. You have said the Eibach's were 470 - ish in the past, though, is what makes me think maybe they were something else.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128