Air filter shtuff

Got questions? We got answers....
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Air filter shtuff

Post by 2001kdx »

I've always cleaned my airfilter after every ride, or maybe every other ride. I've never oiled it though. So I'd like to know:
1 - What oil do I use?
2 - What is the best method for oiling?
3 - Which aftermarket filter should I buy?

Thanks for the help, I'm learning, slowly but surely.
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

You've cleaned it but never oiled it? Yikes...

I used No-toil oil and cleaner. It cleans up easy and isn't that expensive, I have yet to find a problem with it.

The way I clean/re-oil a filter is this:
1. use No-Toil cleaner mixed with water until all the filter is free of dirt and oil
2. Squeeze (don't wring) out the extra water and then let air dry
3. Use No-Toil air cleaner oil and saturate the whole thing, squeeze out extra oil.
4. Allow for the alcohol to evaporate out of the filter oil (~15 minutes)
5. Install with grease around the filter base to prevent dirt sucking underneath the filter.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I clean mine after every ride during the summer when we have a lot of dust (and it needs it)
I also use notoil, I like the fact you can throw it in the washer (with the soap provided in the kit) and forget about it. No mess, no chemical to deal with.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Another vote for No Toil products. If you go this route et the "kit" - it's got the oil, the cleaner, and some "rim grease". You'll run out of oil & cleaner before the rim grease and you can buy those separately.

Whatever brand, you're definately going to want the filter oiled. The dirt sticks to the oil in the cells of the filter; without the oil, some of the finer dust could get through and into your engine - NOT cool!!

One thing to add to what thebleakness stated. After you've saturated the filter with oil and after you've squeezed out the excess, wrap an old but clean cloth around the filter then squeeze a couple of times more. 'Helps get some more excess oil that you don't need.

And one more opinion. It is not necessary to clean the filter after every ride under all conditions - visually inspect the filter and clean it if it needs it. If you ride in dusty conditions for 4-6 hours you may need to clean it. If not, you may not need to clean it but every 3-5 rides. Good to have a second clean & oiled filter handy for a quick changeout, too
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'some of the finer dust could get through..'

Or...DOES get through...

You can buy NoToil rim grease in a little tub. Better economically than the little tube you get with the 'kit'.

I've never been a 'soak it in oil, remove the excess' fan. NoToil filter oil also comes in an aerosol (that would be 'spray can' for those in Rio Linda). I prefer the spray: Less mess, less waste. Obviously a filter soaked in oil will have more oil on it, but there is a balance between better breathing and excess restriction.

Re: 'Good to have a second clean & oiled filter handy...'

I second that...which is why I have four of 'em. :wink: If you're out for a weekend in the dust, day-2 is going to need a clean filter.

I prefer TwinAir over the NoToil filter..also over the Uni and OEM filters.

A BTW? When you put the filter back on the cage be sure to stick the screw boss through the hole..don't tigten the screw against the filter material. Easy Peasy? Yeah...but I've known those that did NOT do that. You end up with a gaping hole where the little one used to be.

But, hey! If you don't oil your filter, what difference is (another) gaping hole going to matter? :rolleyes:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

Well, I used NoToil for a while. I don't any more.

CC will like this reply cos it's fairly retentive :rolleyes:

#1 most filter manufacturers recommend against using the spray oil as the propellant is bad for the foam. Bad over a long time. It wom't kill it stone dead but it IS worse for the filter than bottled oil. Like I said, this post is up there on the retentive scale.

#2 NoToil contains alcohol. If you read the destructions on a bag of filterskins it specifically warns about allowing the alcohol to evaporate before sealing oiled skins else it will destroy the matterial. It is similarly bad over time for filters, so if you oil and then seal a backup filter, you should similarly let the alcohol evaporate off if you are NoToiling.

#3 I recently bought a pre-filter for my 950 Adventure. All the way from Uni in Australia (diff company than Uni USA despite the name). It was $$$ so I asked them about maint. They asked me not to use NoToil, specifically because it will over time damage the foam. They don't sell oil over here so it's not like they were pimping their own oil. They recommended Belray, which I don't much like, very goopy stuff.

#4 My brand new Uni USA filter for the KDX fell apart after only 2 oil/clwan cycles with NoToil. Seam totally failed. They kindly replaced it for me but told me they wouldn't again if I kept using NoToil. I've read lots of reports of people having early failures using NoToil. Certain Uni's seem to be fairly susceptible. I'm sure there are people who've had no issues but this combined with the manufacturers warnings is enough for me. TwinAir seems to fair better from what I've read.

#5 I hate the NoToil oil. Nothing gets it off your hands other than the cleaner which is really caustic. Makes me ponder how good it is for the filter and the seam glue.

#6 You can remove Uni filter oil using Simple Green. Works well and Uni even says so on their website. No need for solvents.

All this said, if you want to oil it. Best way is to select fave oil, go buy a paint can. Put a quart or so of oil into it. Dip filter. Allow excess to drain off for a long while. You want just enough oil that when you touch it there is a slight residue on your finger tip. No more. Reseal the can. Or you can use the plastic ziplock method which works. Advantage of the paint can method is that it's always good to avoid squeezing the filter. Makes em last longer. Treat em like your lady :supz:

Or you can just be an earth killer and get the disposable ones.
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

NoToil has a warning on the label about their products not working with UNI filters. I have a white in there right now and so far no problems, I used powershot before and that stuff was just got everywhere and was a pain to clean up IMO.
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

>|<>QBB<
thebleakness wrote:NoToil has a warning on the label about their products not working with UNI filters. I have a white in there right now and so far no problems, I used powershot before and that stuff was just got everywhere and was a pain to clean up IMO.
I know people who claim NoToil filters won't survive NoToil.

Also, in addition to being bad for the glue, which is what happened to my UNI, most of the "don't use it" recommendations are in regard to the effect of the alcohol on the foam. Maybe there is more than one type of polyurethene foam, beats me, I'm not a plastic engineer but it's clearly bad for certain foams as well as certain glues.

Also it's annoying that it's red as all my filters are red. Belray may be goopy but it's blue which means I can tell when I've oiled my red filters :grin:
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I alternate twin air filter and uni filter, I've had them for about a year and clean them almost every other ride (washer with 1/2 of their soap and 1/2 of regular laundry detergent). So far I have no complain, the glue seems to hold pretty well, so is the foam but I will check carefully next time I clean them. When I clean them I always check to see how dirty the inside of the filter is and so far never seen any dirt there. Works for me. If the filter last only 1 year that's fine by me, it's part of the wear and tear like brake pads, tires...I don't expect them to last longer, if they do, good, if not, I'll get a new one and not worry about it for another year.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

I've had no filter failures with the No Toil products since I've used them last spring. I've used No Toil for OEM and Twin Air filters for a TTR-230, a JR-80, and a KDX220. I'd add the RM65 but haven't had it long enough. These filters have a variety of shapes, seams, etc.

The No Toil cleaner may in fact be caustic but must be at relatively low strength - I've cleaned my filters with my bare hands, no problems.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: What crazybrit said.

Basically....yep.

Well, toward the end he got a bit off base: No squeezing just like your lady? :shock:

Well...wait a minute...maybe that's why mine are disposable........:hmm:

Somethin' new to be learnt every day!

Oh, in regard to, 'I hate the NoToil oil. Nothing gets it off your hands other than the cleaner which is really caustic.'

Caustic? Huh? What you talkin' 'bout, Willis!

You're not referring to the slight warming sensation that, upon first use, makes you think, 'UH OH! THIS CAN'T BE GOOD!'??? :wink:

Consider the source

crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:I alternate twin air filter and uni filter, I've had them for about a year and clean them almost every other ride (washer with 1/2 of their soap and 1/2 of regular laundry detergent). So far I have no complain, the glue seems to hold pretty well, so is the foam but I will check carefully next time I clean them. When I clean them I always check to see how dirty the inside of the filter is and so far never seen any dirt there. Works for me. If the filter last only 1 year that's fine by me, it's part of the wear and tear like brake pads, tires...I don't expect them to last longer, if they do, good, if not, I'll get a new one and not worry about it for another year.
Yeah, if you view them as a disposable item, then I'm sure NoToil is going to work just fine. I personally hate the disposable culture we live in (I really hate the throw-away air filters). NoToil won't damage the foam overnight but it will over a extended period of time.

The main claim to fame for NoToil is that you don't need to use solvents but you can remove Uni oil with SimpleGreen which is what they use to disperse oil spills (Exxon Valdez for example). Maybe if I ever see a store selling NoToil brand filters I'll buy one so I can see how they work with all of my left over NoToil. I nearly always see Uni ones which are definately dubious to use with NoToil.

I'm of the opinion that if you clean the filter carefully (don't wring it out, don't even squeeze it out, just let it air dry) and if you oil it carefully with an oil that isn't bad for the foam, it should last for a very very long time. Just like CC treats his ladies :supz:
Last edited by crazybrit on 11:31 am Apr 10 2007, edited 3 times in total.
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

canyncarvr wrote: Oh, in regard to, 'I hate the NoToil oil. Nothing gets it off your hands other than the cleaner which is really caustic.'

Caustic? Huh? What you talkin' 'bout, Willis!

You're not referring to the slight warming sensation that, upon first use, makes you think, 'UH OH! THIS CAN'T BE GOOD!'??? :wink:
Yeah, you are correct. I shouldn't have used the term caustic as it's clearly not correct. I'm not sure what the correct term is. I'm still convinced that the cleaner is harsh stuff but maybe it's not an issue at the strength it's diluted to. All of the manufacturer warnings I've heard are in regard to the alcohol in the oil and it's interactions with the foam.

Anyways, this wasn't meant to be a "don't use NoToil", use whatever you are comfortable with, just be aware of the "issues" with NoToil. Especially letting the alcohol carrier evaporate off if you seal a backup oiled filter.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Any links to these fine products for a lazy dude?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

There's the link between your phone and your local bike shop. That'll work.

But...what 'fine products' are you interested in? I think this thread pretty much defines NoToil as complete garbage and no one with any sense would EVER use it after having read how nasty it is. :razz:

(I say..thass'a joke, son.)

Seriously, I am aware of the alcohol part of NoToil. I am aware of its tendency to hurt stuff. It's ease of use and the fact that it works for me (sez me) is good enough for me. The destructions DO tell you to let the carrier dry! So...following the destructions would be a good thing.

Here's an idea. My secret web agent search device (I could tell you what it is, but then I'd have to blow up your computer....) says:

http://www.notoil.com/

There is a dealer lookup there. Unlikely it's complete. Most bike shops sell NoToil stuff...if that's one of the 'fine product' thingys you are speaking of.

Consider the source

strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

I love NoToil, easy to clean, seems to work well for trapping dirt. It did however weaken the seams in a UNI filter I used to have. I have a run a NoToil filter with filterskins for 4 years now, no troubles at all. Petroleum based oils are pretty difficult to clean up in my opinion.

I clean my filter once or twice a year, but am religious about filterskins and changing them when they get dirty. In winter I hardly ever change them, in desert racing, once per day.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

I ride mud, mud and some more mud. I also ride some fields, but nothing dusty or fine dirt, therefore I clean my filter every other ride(usually). i have a Moose filter right now, decent but I plan on buying a nicer one pretty soon. I might buy a TwinAir filter, my dealer has a few on the shelf.
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

Depending on who I'm riding with and my mood determines how often I change my air filter. I ride alot of desert (mucho dust) and when I ride with faster guys than me I eat alot of dust. Other days I'm ahead of most others and dont have to worry about too much dirt getting sucked in. For example the other day, it was so dusty that I seriously couldn't see the ground in front of the tire. It's interesting to hit a root when your 3 gear pinned flying through and not see even after your flying through the air. :shock:
KanuckKDX

Post by KanuckKDX »

Notoil destroys seams on my Uni filters fast. But I do like using it and cleaning up in the kitchen sink.
KanuckKDX
'01 YZ426F son's
'02 XR400 still for sale
'04 KTM 450exc it's all about the e-start
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

PJ1 has been cleaning and oiling my filters on every bike from XR's to KTM's. Always available in most every bike shop I've ever been in. Cheap, instructions on the back and like CC (I think) said; it seems wasteful and time consuming to soak in a bag of oil or whatever. I spray on the cleaner, kneed it and squeeze it a few times, rinse with hot water and hang to dry. Or, if I am in a hurry I will blow it dry with the compressor. Then the oil sprays on. I squeeze and work it in and never use too much and done. Oh yeah, I use the tub of Bel-ray waterproof grease that I use to pack my bearings to coat the ring and squish it sealed with the wingnut. Uni-filter seems to handle the PJ1 fine for 2 seasons anyway.