stock to modifide KDX

Got questions? We got answers....
krazyinski

stock to modifide KDX

Post by krazyinski »

Here is the story, I ran across two 2001 KDX 200's on a trailer for sale, made an embarrassing offer to my suprize the owner excepted.

Now I have three KDX's. I never had the chance to ride a complete stock KDX 200 WOW !! what an easy bike to ride, it wont stall for anything , the soft seat and suspension is great for putting around.

I think a monkey could ride this.

I say this because I bought my 2000 KDX 220 with ported cylinder, milled head, and carb bored from 33mm to 36 mm, with a FMF woods pipe and tbc 2 silencer, now it has V force 3 reeds and a 10oz flywheel weight, with revalved KX forks and stock revalved shock, tall hard seat foam, with KX foot pegs and CRhigh mini bars.

Comparing the two is mild verses wild, I am so glad my engine was modified before I bought mine, because I would have not purchased a bone stock KDX, If I had a chance to ride it before I bought it and would have missed out on owning one of the best trail bikes ever.

For you guys that are thinking about getting a pipe, doing a KX conversion or some work done by RB or Fredette. do it and feel the hidden power this bike can make.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

I second the motion . . .

I bought my 220 only last September - it was stock engine/suspension-wise - and since have added the pipe, reeds, RB head + carb mods . . . and replaced the stock cartridge forks w/ USDs . . .

Memories of the stock power are quickly fading but I do remember riding it for the first time thinking, "this isn't gonna be a problem". That was after test-riding some 250s (which honestly most scared the hell right out of me).

Totally different animal, the well-modified KDX. The difference - especially after you bolt on parts modified by Ron Black and change those forks - is eyeball-poppin'. My KDX is definately a better bike than I am a rider, meaning it's time just to ride and keep getting better riding. The only good reason to buy another bike - the way I see it now - would be one solely for the mx track (right now that sounds dangerous) or a dual sport (right now that sounds boring).

Even modified, though, the KDX220 is no 250 . . . but that's a good thing - to me (but my hat's off to you courageous souls that throw the 250s around in the woods).

Start planning for the mods . . .

Well put Krazyinski . . .
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

To put things into perspective...

I had a good ride today with a KX250 (2000) and a YZ450F (2001) over a range of terrain from single track to transport sections on sealed black top. Overall everyone (myself included) was extremely suprised how the lil green beast coped. Single track I was in front for 85% of it with the 450 occasionally taking me until things slowed down again and the 250 always very close behind. We decided to hit the black top for a few 'drags' over about 300 metres. Long story short out of about 15 or so races (rolling start and from a dead stop) the mighty KDX was beaten only twice by the 450 and once by the 250. :supz:

:supz: :prayer: :supz:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Long story short out of about 15 or so races (rolling start and from a dead stop) the mighty KDX was beaten only twice by the 450 and once by the 250.
:shock: Are you running on nitro? :blink:
I ride with a 250 crf and a 450 crf buddies, the very few time we have "raced" over 200 m of open range, I got smoked every time (and I cheated :mrgreen: )
Makes me REALLY itching to get RB'd and see what it could do then :supz:
Anybody got a spare 200 bucks? :lol: Any kind of contribution to the: "scheckaet's grin factor association" would be greatly appreciated, I do accept cash, check and credit card, PM me for mailing address :lol::lol::lol:

It's great to see the lil green monster still got it! :supz:
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:
Long story short out of about 15 or so races (rolling start and from a dead stop) the mighty KDX was beaten only twice by the 450 and once by the 250.
. . . Makes me REALLY itching to get RB'd . . .
THAT'S the difference!!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote: :shock: Are you running on nitro? :blink:
I ride with a 250 crf and a 450 crf buddies, the very few time we have "raced" over 200 m of open range, I got smoked every time (and I cheated :mrgreen: )
Makes me REALLY itching to get RB'd and see what it could do then :supz:

It's great to see the lil green monster still got it! :supz:
After mods you should smoke the 250F and stick very close to the 450F. I cheated too in the way that I was taking off in 2nd and they were both starting in 1st. I think it helped me get the jump and stay in front, just.... When the YZ450F would get to 5th gear it would very slowly approach and try to overtake but we ran out of room so I win hehehehe.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

I had an awesome chance to ride some other bikes this weekend. I rode a 2006 Katoom 450SX, the first 450 I've ridden. Woah! That was a beast and a half, even on single track it was pretty nice. Then I rode a 2005 YZ250, pretty cool, nice power and great handling. And my favorite that I rode, a 2007 Katoom 250SX, holy ****! The motor on that thing was incredible, power was there instantly (completely stock still, only 2 weeks old). Out of the 3 I rode I prefered the 250sx over anything, very light weight and extremely powerful.

I'm sorry to say but I'm done spending money on my KDX for future upgrades. The more and more 250 MXs I ride the more I like them better. The ergos suit me much better (I'm a very aggressive rider) and being at a decent altitude robs engines of power. I also enjoy jumping, my KDX does not. I've cleared 45ft tables and it will do it but it's not enjoyable. There are some larger step-down jumps that my friends will hit on their bikes but I dont trust mine on those things.

But don't worry! I'll be sticking with the green. Hopefully by the end of the month I'll have a new (to me) 2003 KX250 with many mods sitting in my garage alongside the trusty KDX. :partyman: