Thoughts on dented FMF?

Got questions? We got answers....
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Thoughts on dented FMF?

Post by 2001kdx »

I bought a fatty pipe a couple of months ago, i got it for cheap because of it's large dents. I'd like to know what you guys think, should I send it to Pacific crest or if it's even worth mounting a pipe guard in this condition.
I have not thought of it as pwer-robbing, because once it was jetted correctly, it really ripped.

Anyway, here are the pics:

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Here's the pix :wink:

Don't look bad to me.

Nice pipe mount :shock:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

This is a dented pipe

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

You will find that your torque output from 2760 RPM to 2900 will be reduced by .3 foot pounds. Also, your max RPMs will be reduced by 150 RPMs.

Rick
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

the pipe mount was temporary... I had to weld the tabs to fit. It looks different now.
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

This happened to a friend of mine on a ride 2 days ago. He pancaked it good, I couldnt stop laughing when he finally found it. Pictures dont give the dent justice.

Check these guys out if you want to get your pipe fixed, http://www.piperepair.com/. Good price and they do awesome work.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
thebleakness wrote:This happened to a friend of mine on a ride 2 days ago. He pancaked it good, I couldnt stop laughing when he finally found it. .
Found it?
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:>|<>QBB<
thebleakness wrote:This happened to a friend of mine on a ride 2 days ago. He pancaked it good, I couldnt stop laughing when he finally found it. .
Found it?
The dent, he didnt know he had dented it untill we saw it. That trail is a heaven for someone with a trials background. If you enjoy hopping over boulders for 3 miles straight then come out and try it.
tag220

Post by tag220 »

Two weeks ago I to shape my pc pipe with a rock :supz: looked like 2001s pipe . I wanted to fix myself 40-60psi and torch works but not pro and you can tell
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Fill it with water and stick it in the deep freeze. The dents should pop right out as the water expands. Let the pipe sit in the sun to thaw, give it a good coat internally of WD-40 or similar, drain it and also let sit for a while before re-fitting. You may need to repeat the cycle fill, freeze and thaw a few times if its a bad dent but it does work.

So does a torch and PSI but the thought of an exploding pipe blasting hot blobs of FmF metal all over me isn't very inviting. :blink:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
crazyaboutriding

Post by crazyaboutriding »

>|<[url=http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 0567#40567]>QBB<[/url][quote="KDXer"]Fill it with water and stick it in the deep freeze. The dents should pop right out as the water expands. Let the pipe sit in the sun to thaw, give it a good coat internally of WD-40 or similar, drain it and also let sit for a while before re-fitting. You may need to repeat the cycle fill, freeze and thaw a few times if its a bad dent but it does work.

So does a torch and PSI but the thought of an exploding pipe blasting hot blobs of FmF metal all over me isn't very inviting. :blink:[/quote]

how do you retain the water?
Kevin
'00 KDX 200
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

There is a guy on eBay who's been selling 2stroke pipe repair kits for ever. They look to be good quality and everything I read said that you really do need a regulator on the plug that attaches to the end of the pipe. Even if you have a regulator on the compressor you want the backup on the pipe as too much pressure can be really bad.

This said, the whole concept of heat, oxygen and the carbon buildup inside the pipe freaks me out.

Local guy to me uses compressed argon, I think he charges like $35.00. Most cities of a decent size have some guy in a bunker who repairs them, saves on the whole 2 way shipping charges.

I'd be real curious to hear from anyone who's use the eBay kit. I guess if you keep the pressure low (many people find plugging the ends and the pressure from the heat to be enough) it would be ok but I'm fond of contiinued breathing :supz:
tag220

Post by tag220 »

I think I can still breath dose that make it ok? :supz:
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

>|<>QBB<
crazyaboutriding wrote:how do you retain the water?
A whole lot of Sodium and MSG will help retain fluid. Other causes are CHF, horemonal imbalences, renal disease, circulation problems, obesity, lymphatic dissorders and so on and so on. Start eating poorly and don't limit your sodium intake. That oughta do it... :blink: :lol:

OH sorry 'that' water....

Seriously though, no need to plug the ends as long as you sit in it the freezer right it won't leak out. You may need to use some wire or similar to help it sit right. I used a bag of ice under the pipe as an adjustable stand so to speak, if that makes sense. I have heard by sealing the ends you can put too much strain on the pipes welds as it expands.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I would run that one until it gets worse.

Good read:

http://www.motocrossjournalmag.com/ME2/ ... 6AA9A8CEF8
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project