Dual-Sport Tire Recommendations

Got questions? We got answers....
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dual-Sport Tire Recommendations

Post by Wudscrasher »

DOT or Non-DOT, it doesn't matter. What I'm looking for, are hard-terrain (ie, soft/medium compound), that grip well on tarmac and rocky/hard terrain. Anyone have any recommendations? I will try not to ride too much tarmac, but don't want to sacrifice road stability for trail grip, or vice-versa. I don't mind changing tires 2 or 3 times a season, but don't want to drop a lot of coin for a tire that won't last 200 miles. I'm just looking for something that won't sacrifice one for the other, but will handle street/trail OK. One thing I'm clueless at, it's tires.

TIA.

--C.J.
2000 KDX220R

"Big air? I say keep it in the dirt - that's where the fun is. You want big air, kid? Pull my finger." -- Smooth Johnson, Master of the Berm
xagentman

Post by xagentman »

there was a great article in the May issue of Dirt Rider that talks about Trials tires and there usefullness on all terrain. If it was me, I would start by looking there.
==05 KDX220R==
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Definately!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

You could give Kenda trackmasater II a try.

They are DOT and they work great everywhere for a cheap tire.
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

Thanks, guys. I got a good lead from a local DS rider (he rides a BRP XR650 and an ATK 260 2T) and he uses an IRC VE33 on the rear, VE35 on the front for both bikes. He says they resists chunking, have good cornering on tarmac, and uses them in Moab, Idaho, and here in Colorado. Best yet, they're around $40-50 per. He's been riding them for around 5 years now, and loves 'em. BTW, he's a 50 y.o. engineer for HP, been riding for 35 years. I'll give them a try, and report back.

Thanks dudes...

--C.J.
(p.s., had a VE33 on the rear of my '01 XR4 a few years back, and it performed very well in mud, wet rocks, roots, and loamy-loose soil. Didn't know it could perform on pavement, but we'll see!)
2000 KDX220R

"Big air? I say keep it in the dirt - that's where the fun is. You want big air, kid? Pull my finger." -- Smooth Johnson, Master of the Berm
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Sweet....How does he like his 260?
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

>|<>QBB<
fuzzy wrote:Sweet....How does he like his 260?
He loves it! Except the kickstarter splines are just getting stripped, so a case-split is in the works. He has to get it done before May 8th, our Moab trip. He puts a huge 55 or 58 - tooth rear sprocket on for Five Miles of Hell, and scares everybody with it. He's looking at getting another for spare parts, as they're hard to come by anymore.
2000 KDX220R

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Tried a VE33 before, lasted a long time, but SUCKED for grip on most surfaces

Trackmaster is not too bad for the dry season buy sucks when it is wet.
The carcass wore out before the knobs did (got soft and started getting easily cut on rocks)

Whenever I get an 18" rear wheel for my DR, I'm thinking of trying a 952 Dunlop, offroad it wears like iron and has excellent grip
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

Thanks, Wibby! I was curious about the 952 also - let me know how it grips and wears for ya. BTW, where are you and what terrain do you ride? Everyone here out west that rides Moab and rocky stuff says, "Get a trials tire!", but, alas, my ATK DS buddy still rides a VE33 on and over everything, and says grip ain't a problem with 'em...especially on rocks.

Oh, and I also got the Oregon Scientific helmet-cam for Xmas, on your and everyone's recommendation, and when I get some footage, will edit and post ASAP. I have a Qualifier Enduro in Nebraska to ride end of the month, then Moab/San Rafael Swell 2 weeks later. This season is looking better every day!

:supz: --C.J.
2000 KDX220R