Damaged Cylinder, What Are Some Options?

Got questions? We got answers....
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I don't see a sleeve in those pictures of your cylinder. Do any of those pictures show the crack in the intake port bridge?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Me too!! Me too!!! I wanna see that!!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

"The pictures are kind'a fuzzy." Drink you another one. :-) Sorry about that. Maybe I was too close.

I AM basing all this on the magnet thing. I tried to look on Google images for some sleeved pictures. None were as good as wibby's.

I'll try to take a few more pictures.

EDIT: Woo-hoo! Macro setting on my camera works well, pics forthcoming.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

OK, check out the new picture. You will have to look at it in the big picture format. It is in the middle of the red circle.

Just for laughs, check out the 2nd photo. It is a picture of what can happen when a circlip pops out of its groove. No, I was not the mechanic. :grin: I bought it like that.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

No sleeve there... you can tell at the port areas if it has been sleeved. there will be a ridge and yours don't have them. RUN IT! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Mr. Wibbens wrote:Hey check my gallery for some pics of a sleeved cylinder
Hey Wib... the leaves inside the cylinder openings is a nice touch! I'm glad to see that you cleaned up the cylinder the best you could! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Excellent photo with the red circle. I don't think I would just assemble that and put it back into operation though. That's some pretty serious scoring on the cylinder at the area above and below the crack, so something must be going on there when the cylinder is warmed up to operating temps. I would hate to see a ring brake and damage the lower end of things.
I'd send it off to gorr for repair and replate. If you have a mind to, then have him port for mo' power everywhere. I wouldn't unless you are not happy with stock porting. If a stock motor keeps you grinning then pass on the porting and just get it repaired and replated. A new piston and rings wouldn't hurt but at least a new set of rings for sure.

BTW it is AMAZING how much difference there are in ports between different KDX models. My 220 looks nothing like that.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

that cylinder doesnt look sleeved. some scuffing and maybe a crack waiting to happen but i would run it. if sleeved that dark ring you see around the inside of the bore would be visible around the top of the cylinder. run her till she lays down then get another one off ebay.
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The scuff is proly worn in now and will not present a problem. Personally, I think the cylinder looks to be in pretty darn good shape. And the miles you refer to could be on the mark. Weird things happen in a short amount of time... just ask the 220 owners. I would proly just put a new set of rings in it and run it as is for at least another year and check it again. What kinda compression you getting out of it Jason?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

After all you guys help, I now think it is plated. That magnet theory is just wrong, apparently.

from skipro3: "I would hate to see a ring brake and damage the lower end of things." I am leary of that, so I am hesitant to "just run it". :grin:

The piston looks bad, so I had already commited to the idea of buying a new piston, rings, circlips, piston pin and small end bearing.

Thanks again for all the information and suggestions. I really appreciate the help.
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

where does the piston look bad? is there a pic of it in the gallery?
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I will post some pictures in an hour or so. I just got in from out of tow, so I am still settling in. I will take a few pictures of it. As best I remember, it is scratched in two places, with one being real bad. It is not like a gouge, but it is like a rough finish somewhat.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Typically things go from good to bad, and from bad to worse. That cylinder is not good. It has a crack for crying out loud. Will it hurt anything to run it right now? Maybe not. Will the situation get better or worse? Worse of course. When it does get worse, what will be the damage then?
Yes, dirtbiking is not cheap. Worst financial investment on the planet, but, dirtbikeing has it's own rewards beyond the financial. If that experiance gets tarnished with a bad event while in the field, then it might affect future riding enjoyment. Bite the bullet and get it fixed while you have it all torn down. You know you will have to tear into it again later. At the bottom of a deep canyon is not the place to discover that it is going from bad to worse.
The fact that you care enough about motorcycle maintenance to post questions, answers and photos shows what kind of rider you are. So, what do you suppose will be on your mind, the whole time you are riding if you don't fix the old girl now? Every little misfire, hic-up, and bog will have you worried the bike is going to fail you. Now where's the fun in that?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Can't and won't argue with that.... Good dose of reality Ski!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

The way I expain it to my wife is: Would you rather I spend the money at a bar with my buddies, or puttering around out here in the garage with an occasional trip out into the woods in order to break things again?
She never votes for the bar.
Jerry

89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

i dont think that cylinder is cracked from the photo. i would have to see it with my eyeballs. from the pic i wqould run it and not loose any sleep. but if i had money growing on a tree in the backyard i would send it to gorr. actually i would do the work myself. hehe
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Indawoods wrote:Can't and won't argue with that.... Good dose of reality Ski!
It seems real to me, but then, it's Sunday evening in California. The temperature hit 78 degrees, I rode my street bike this afternoon, barbequed some ribeye steaks and tossed on some yellow and orange peppers, red potatos and asparagus spears to grill and soak up some of that smokey aroma. And I jsust fenisheeed my seconded boddle of merlot. Weee!!!! :partyman:
Jerry

motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

Last edited by motorider200 on 12:14 am Mar 07 2005, edited 1 time in total.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

WOW! Looks nasty. One of irritations is that I don't know if it was like that before I got it or if it happened while I was riding it. If it happened while I had it, did it happen 5 miles ago, 50 miles ago or 500??

By the way, nice check of full front suspension useage in the following photo. :grin:

Pictures in just a few minutes. I had to finish off some pizza and a Smirnoff Watermelon.

EDIT: I tried to take some pictures, but my camera says it has dead batteries. I tried some different batteries and it did the same thing. I don't know if the camera is broke or what. I am going to charge my batteries and see if it will work later. If it does, I will post some pictures totmorrow. Thanks.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I put some pictures of the piston in my gallery.