Three KLX 450R ride reports

Got questions? We got answers....
AZRickD

Three KLX 450R ride reports

Post by AZRickD »

A whole slew of Team Green-supported riders (including but not limited to) Destry Abbot, Ricky Dietrich, etc.

It was faciliated, in part, by my riding club, Arizona Trail Riders. If my frickin' KDX wasn't in pieces in MonkeyButt's shop, I might have been able to duck out of work for the day (two days ago).

They rode the "Mile Markers" up NW of Phoenix near Lake Pleasant.

Here is a mini review by our ATR Prez.
I had the opportunity to ride Kawasaki's latest entry in the 450 thumper market at the their press intro on Wednesday out in the desert near Wickenburg. I gotta say, the machine rocks. Some of the "professional" reviews are below but here's is what I thought.

The motor is powerfull yet smooth in the delivery, in other word's useable. The suspension seemed more than capable of soaking up the rocks, gullys and whoops (big or small) although the bikes I rode were set a little stiff for my taste. There is power everywhere in the gearing and getting the front wheel up is not a problem.

The brakes are very strong and thats a good thing as I found myself coming into some of the corners a little faster than usual. That goes back to the motor and suspension.

The bike ergo's were almost perfect for a guy my size (5'8") and the only thing I would have done is move the bars forward just a touch. The headlight is pretty cool looking and seemed to put out enough light for the night ride testing. It's only 35watt though and I'm not sure if will handle a higher watt bulb.

Best part was the incredibly low noise level from the exhaust......they claim 84db and I believe it. Overall I would say that Kawasaki did their homework when putting this bike together. If you are looking for a new 450.......this could be the one for you.

Also, fyi Kawasaki and all the editors and photographers were very impressed with the trails and ATR's involvement in the event. We didn't get mentioned in any of the articles but they were there to write about the bike, not us. Anyway I just wanted to let everyone know that ATR did a great job and I appreciate all the support. This time we had to limit our personnel numbers but hopefully in the future we will be able to "invite" a few more members to check things out.

Al Washburn, Frank Staley, Derik Staley and Tom Trieckel made up the ATR "Crew" and everyone but Frank got to ride the bike. Heck, Derik almost got filmed riding the bike for dirtbiketelevision.com but they filmed Destry instead. Tough break for Derik but what are you gonna do...

Here are the links...

http://www.dirtrider.com/tests/offroad/ ... i_klx_450/

http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=10622

http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/2007/KLX450R/

Some pics...

Surrounded by deadly "jumping" cholla cactus

Diggin' out a turn amidst some creosote.

I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

EWWW Four Stroke :evil:
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

I was wondering about Dietrich, I know he really messed up his shoulder at round 2 WORCS and was outta commision for awhile. Where the big guys just out there too give some publicity or were they riding? I know Woods was also out for awhile and heard some rumors about him riding again. You know anything about that?

Either way, that is one SICK machine. How long do you think it is till Dez is riding one? I think his KXF450 would be better for the WORCS races while the KLX450 would be great for H&H. Maybe Northland will get some of those 450s up here and do a demo ride like they did of all the 07 KTMs, that would be sweet...
Last edited by thebleakness on 07:39 pm Mar 30 2007, edited 1 time in total.
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Yeah, I know.

But could you imagine a KDX-like detuned 250 2-stroke in a similar (and imaginary) KLX 250R?

Sweet (dreams).

Rick
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

OK, now that I took time to read it, It looks interesting. Suitable in ST but 100mph top speed? Sounds cool to me.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Thanks for sharing the links
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I still want one!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Looks like a great bike...but a bit too porky for me... I spent a couple of years on a fun and reliable WR426, but for tight stuff that kind of size will eventually take its toll - especially if you have to lift the bike up from a low-side hill tip-over fiasco.

What I'm waitng for is a new KDX 250F ... Hopefully that is in the works too! :mrgreen:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Those guys were all riding (including Woods).

And guess who else was there? Jeff Fredette who e-mailed me this quick comment:
this bike is really good. i think is the best i have ridden. will wait till i get it back here.
good luck on the kdx.
jeff
He's gone to the Dark $ide. :partyman:

Rick
Oldschool
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Oldschool »

How many hours can you get out of it before you need a
$1,000+ topend?

Over $7,000 new, I paid $2,200 for my '03 200 (Used)

Tough pill to swallow :roll:
(But like inda...I still Want one too)!!
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

A buddy has 9,000 miles on his KTM 450 EXC (2004, I think). Yeah, he gets out a lot.

He told me today that he's thinkin' about finally doing a top end. He noted that if everything checked out okay, just swapping out the wear parts would run him about $1,500. If something was busted, it would be quite painful.

Rick
Oldschool
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Oldschool »

9,000 miles is Awesome!
I think the CRF450 mx'er is like 50 hours! :shock:
(Although they say if your not running it up on the rev limiter you can double the hours )
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

I think I will give the general public a year then see whats up with it, then pick a used one up four 4-5 grand and save couple of bucks. there sure a lot talk and such about it.I noticed Jeff posted on thumper talk for the first time and it was to give his 2bits about the bike.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I'd love one if it came with a trailer full of spare motors, and a factory mechanic like those guys get ;)
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
luke347

Post by luke347 »

Im pretty sure Jeff's been riding 4t for a while, when I was at the world enduro this summer he was riding the kx 450f.