JD Jetting

Got questions? We got answers....
kdennan

JD Jetting

Post by kdennan »

Does anyone use or know anything about James Dean Jetting Kits?
I am thinking about getting one for my 05' 220
Thanks
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

You don't need one - we'll help you dial it in :mrgreen:

Keep in mind I don't know what the kit consists of.
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Just talked with Jeff Fredette and he said the same thing.
I think I was getting way too into the quest for optimized jetting and that was why I was seeing a bike that is more finicky. I think I am pretty close so long as I want to err on the rich side.
45 pilot, air screw about 1.25 out, 145 main and needle in the 2nd position from the top.
FMF gnarly (desert) pipe, V-force reed valve, uni-air filter w/ lid removed and I just ordered today the FMF Turbine Core 2 silencer from Fredette.
Oh Yeah, I run Specto SX 321 at 32:1
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

JD doesn't make a jetting kit for the KDXs. I've talked to him about one a couple of years ago but there just is not the demand - standard needles work well. Like has been mentioned help is available on this site to get you dialed in.

FWIW - J.D. jetting kit is just two different custom needles and a few various pilot and main jets.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
kdennan wrote:Just talked with Jeff Fredette and he said the same thing.
I think I was getting way too into the quest for optimized jetting and that was why I was seeing a bike that is more finicky. I think I am pretty close so long as I want to err on the rich side.
45 pilot, air screw about 1.25 out, 145 main and needle in the 2nd position from the top.
FMF gnarly (desert) pipe, V-force reed valve, uni-air filter w/ lid removed and I just ordered today the FMF Turbine Core 2 silencer from Fredette.
Oh Yeah, I run Specto SX 321 at 32:1
You should be able to get away with going at least a little leaner on both jets and see a performance benefit. To give you a little perspective, before I went for the RB mods I had a 142MJ (and could've gone to a 140 before it got cold) and a 40PJ. Granted, different conditions warrant different jetting but consider buying a few jets and give it a shot: for mains get a 142 and a 140 (for the summer), and try a 42 and/or a 40 for the pilot. A WOT chop will tell you when to stop on the main, the PJ size can be assessed by "feel".

Also, a CEL or DEL needle works pretty nicely in your carb . . .

so make the most of those well-chosen mods you 'got happening and try a little jetting!!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Thanks.
I have been so freaked about nothing for a while now.
I once sub-let a spare room in my house to this dude who had a 95' KTM 300 and it cabbed while I was zippin' down the road at dusk (I was in a bit of rush to get home because the light sucked). I saw the flash of light and eeeeaaaatttt! Done.
The guy took it to a shop and they gave him a bill for about a grand because they said it needed a new jug and much more. All because they said that the mixture was way too lean. I ended up paying for the repair and he ended up couch surfing his way out of the area. :twisted:
So I when I bought the KDX brand new (my first new bike in all of my 33 yrs.) I guess you could say that I am tweaked about this one thing. :oops: