Gasket sealer question..

Got questions? We got answers....
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gasket sealer question..

Post by Colorado Mike »

I was wondering what you folks use on your gaskets if anything. I always used to use Permatex gasket sealer, but that stuff makes it tough sometimes to disassemble next time. I noticed when I tore my new bike down, the factory used some thin clear silicone looking stuff that peeled off easy. This would be for the cylinder base gasket and pretty much everything except the head gasket. For the head, I tried this spray-on stuff that looks like copper and stays kinda sticky. I can't remember that manufacturer, but I'll see how it works, it was convenient though. What do you guys use?

Thanks,
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I have always used nothing, so if anyone has any suggestions, please share them.

Was the product you are trying to remember called Copper Kote or something like that?

Which KDX model do you have Colorado Mike?? I know my '87 uses a copper head gasket, but I pulled the head off my '94 this morning, and it had some black coating on each side of the gasket. I could see that the inside part was metal, but I am not sure what kind. My buddy wsjkawasaki's 1997 KDX220 was the same way with his new Cometic head gasket.

Thanks for any advice.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Mine is an '04 220. My head gasket is real thin metal, looked like it was sprayed with an aluminum colored material from the factory. The one I put on was from Cometic, and was black. The stuff I sprayed on might have been from either Loctite or maybe Permatex, I think it did have Copper in the name. I can check tonight. My old 82 KDX (air-cooled) had a copper head gasket.
Mike

'04 KDX220
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

A very good product from Permatex is Prod 51817.
Noncorrosive gasketing material designed primarily for use on aluminum, iron, and steel flanged mating surfaces. Ideal for on-the-spot and emergency repairs, or when a conventional gasket is unavailable. Fills gaps up to .015" and cures to a solvent-resistant seal that will not tear or decay during service. Parts disassemble easily even after extended service and old gasket material can be removed in minutes with a simple putty knife
I used this exclusively on quick change differential housings, 3 stage dry-sump oil pumps, motorcycle side cases (clutch) when I could not get a factory paper gasket, my XR250 valve cover. Now I always use this. I used it for my FWW cuz the paper gasket ripped and the supplied plastic spacer needed it too. Unless the gasket is required for a certain amount of space, this stuff is great. But NOT on a head gasket.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Lots of different sealers intended for use in different places.

In the first place, most gaskets fail due to problems with the surfaces they are supposed to seal (corrosion, nicks/scrapes/dings/burrs) or due to the improper preparation of the surfaces.

Your best bet is going to be following the recommendation of the gasket maker or service manual.

All that having been said, I use RTV quite a bit. Not so much because it seals so good, but more a matter of gasket preservation. Paper/fiber gaskets do tend to stick on disassembly and will often be ruined in the process. With the use of RTV, my reed valve assy/carb gaskets can be used quite a number of times before they need to be replaced.

That's an advantage in that case 'cuz I'm taking that assy apart fairly often.

Proper use of any adhesive/sealant is a good idea. More isn't likely better. In the RTV example above, follow the idea of, 'The bigger the blob, the better the job.' and you will likely cause yourself some grief when the excess migrates to places it's not supposed to be.

I use KopperKote on the head gasket if I'm reusing it. I've done that...but only when I knew I'd be taking it apart again soon (testing a head configuration for example). The 'H' model head gaskets I've seen all have a plastic film on them that makes using any sort of sealer kind of a moot point.

This won't apply to most recreational wrenchers...but I've read of Yamabond being recommended by a whole lot of mechs for other than Yamaha applications....but generally for crankcase halves (no gasket at all, usually).

That's a good example of the start of this post....

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

This is what I used on the head gasket:

PERMATEX® Copper SPRAY-A-GASKET® Hi Temp Adhesive Sealant

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fast drying, metallic copper sealant helps dissipate heat, prevents gasket burnout and improves heat transfer. Fills minor surface irregularities. Seals instantly. Fills hot spots and surface imperfections. Temperature range -50°F to 500°F; resists all types of automotive fluids, especially gasoline. Level 2

Suggested Applications:
Cylinder head gaskets, carburetor gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets and other high temperature applications
Mike

'04 KDX220
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I've been told that aluminum spray paint will also work on the head gasket. Use your fingers to rub off the rubbery coating from the used gasket first. Install the gasket as soon as the paint becomes tacky. Of course if you have Permetex copper coat, that's better and a new replacement gasket is the best, but then we don't always have what we want and it's nice to know when a subsitute will do.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!