May I get some Help on fork seals

Got questions? We got answers....
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

May I get some Help on fork seals

Post by 2001kdx »

What do you think I should do if I don't have the seal driver/puller/saver thing? I'm currently doing this job in my garage. I need to get the dust seal out without damaging it and get my oil seal out and replace it. Have you guys done it with basic tools? Any help is appreciated.
chris_psmith

Post by chris_psmith »

Did it with basic tools, can lift dust seal out with screwdriver, take out circlip, take top nuts off and empty out oil, undo bolts at bottom and pull fork apart, can then fish the seal out.
When you put it back together you need to stop the shaft turning inside fork, it has a female hex head on it so just need to weld a suitable nut to a rod or something similar while you tighten up bottom bolts.
I always used to avoid the front forks, but once you have done it it's easy.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Have you tried cleaning them first using the 'film strip' method?

Re: '...and pull fork apart'

Sometimes they come apart without damaging the sliders (bushings), sometimes not. If you HAVE to ride THAT weekend and you do NOT have the bushings on hand, chances are you will NOT be riding that weekend.

For seal install, nothing beats the proper tool. PVC of different shapes and sizes has been used on shock seals that I know of...I do NOT know if there IS a suitable pipe size for a fork seal. Probably something close enough.

Your local dealer of any worth will have a fork seal tool (MotionPro 'fer instance) that will make the job a whole lot easier...and more likely to work when you're done.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

How about the "hook" tool? My friend has a tool that is like a screwdriver but has a hooked end. Is this the right tool?
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Update:

I got the dust seal out, spring and cap out, oil is drained. Now my leg is sitting horizontal in the vice. I need some sort of a large allen wrench to do something, what else do I need to take off to pull that oil seal out, and put the new oil in?

Is there some sort of KYB fork rebuild instructional vidoe I could watch?
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

edit: This thread is giving me a headache.
Last edited by strider80 on 01:30 am Mar 26 2007, edited 1 time in total.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
strider80 wrote:Did you read the KYB fork instructions sticky in the USD section?
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=478
I thought it was the oem forks?
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

edit: Maybe someone that knows what they are talking about and can read better than me can help him out.
Last edited by strider80 on 01:35 am Mar 26 2007, edited 3 times in total.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Please...someone tell me they think this is funny!!

I mean..human-etically speaking.

Written: 'Is there some sort of KYB fork rebuild instructional vidoe I could watch?'

:hmm:

His bike: 'Suspension - Stock forks...'

But...does he intend to refer to his bike? 'KYB' is more often used in reference to USD forks, but he doesn't have them...but the conventionals ARE made buy Kayaba.

:hmm: :hmm:

Then: Did you read the KYB fork instructions sticky?' Now..that's a reference to USD forks. Maybe. The two DO come apart quite a lot alike. Maybe was a rec to read something similar that would be helpful.

'I thought it was the oem forks?' Oh No...but the quote refers to BOTH KYBs (RSU? USD?) AND to the KDX USD page! He means the author is working on oem forks...? Well, assumable.

'It is for KX KYBs.' Then it's NOT a link to something similar enough to help, but a link to and for the purpose of info on USDs?

But...for the 'It doesn't matter,' column, it doesn't matter!.

Overlook a couple of 180º things like, 'turn the fork upside down, put the spring on the ground ............' and the same procedure applies.

Oh..btw...the base valve that you, '..need some sort of a large allen wrench to do something..' to should have been (imo) loosened before anything came out of the tubes. It's a 14mm hex.

Cheers! It's been fun watching! :pop:

OK...I am not merely trying to be a PITA..a smart one at that..but to make a point! Speech, conversation, what's written, what's meant are largely an afterthought..the intent SO intent (sic) to say SOMEthing!

Try harder!

...and that goes for me, too! :wink:
Last edited by canyncarvr on 10:11 am Mar 26 2007, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

2001kdx: get a service manual - I use the online version and it's fine, I'm sure the printed material is too, just get one or the other
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
chris_psmith

Post by chris_psmith »

If its oem forks, 14mm key to take bottom bolt off and 22mm nut welded on a bar to hold fork leg inside. Undo the bottom bolt and pull fork leg out. Then hook seal out of housing.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Ok, the only reason I said KYB is because they ARE KYB. I do not have the kx forks, I have the stockers. Anyway, thanks for the help, I did not mean to confuse everyone that read this thread, but strider80 e-mailed me some instructions that, even if they are for up-side down forks, look very similar to what I have apart in my garage.

Special thanks to strider for the e-mail, I have the KAWI factory service manual and it goes through an entire fork dissassemble in 1 page. It is a bit tough to fread, especially when they say " insert kawasaki part #587676".

Cool :supz:
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

Glad I could be of some assistance, desipte being confussled :rolleyes:
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Ok, here's an easy question, where do you put the oil?

I only have 2 pints, is this enough for both legs?
chris_psmith

Post by chris_psmith »

Put the oil in the top of the forks when back on bike and either measure in equal amounts or make a depth gauge with a syringe to get them level. can't rmember volume would be in hand book.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Capacity: 530ml roughly, per tube. So you'll need a third pint or you may run short . . .
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

I'm all set with the forks back on the bike, but I couldn't remove the base valve, how do you do that?

I had the damper rod in a stationary position and was turning the base with a 14mm allen... to no avail. Do I just turn it for 20 minutes or something?
chris_psmith

Post by chris_psmith »

confused by your question, did you take the bolt out and remove the inner parts of the fork, when you re-assemble you need to stop the inner leg turning (either with a 22mm nut on a rod or may be enough by just putting pressure on it wit end of a brush handle or similar).
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :grin: :grin:
It's been fun watching!
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
clutchcover
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by clutchcover »

Hows the snow looking in IF Charley?
97 Kdx200
Summuda goodies.... But not quite enough.