Painting plastic?

Got questions? We got answers....
1995KDX200mcs

Painting plastic?

Post by 1995KDX200mcs »

I have been looking at new black plastic body work for my kdx. I was wondering if anyone has tried painting their plastic on their bike. I know there is special spray paint for plastic and I have also seen an spray that makes paint adhere better to plastic. I'm thinking of trying this on my radiator guards first that way if I don't like it, I haven't ruined anything visible.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The paint may work on everything other than the tank. The tank is made of a naturally shedding plastic. Your results may vary on the other plastics and that is why they are molded in color.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
1995KDX200mcs

Post by 1995KDX200mcs »

A lot of people have said that Krylon Fusion paint works well on the plastics. I'm not too worried about tight brush scratching things.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

I've seen one case where a young fellow did an outstanding job painting his CR85 - he did a great job. It didn't take long, though, before it looked far worse than scratched up. The paint on the shrouds was rubbed and flaked off in chunks as did the sides of the front fender.

If you do it, consider "protecting" the parts of the paint job that may flex or take hits. Some sort of clearcoat compatible with the type of paint used perhaps? Or maybe get a set of those Effex square-shaped vinyl sheets that come in sets of three. They're used for the number plates - they have white, black, and clear - get the clear.

Post some pictures if you end up trying this out - sounds interesting
Last edited by Jeb on 05:02 am Mar 23 2007, edited 1 time in total.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

I have used the plastic paint to paint a new side cover and it cracked and
peeled of after a couple rides.
1995KDX200mcs

Post by 1995KDX200mcs »

So I went and bought some Krylon Fusion for plastic black gloss and painted a random piece of plastic I had laying around to see what it would look like. Its a much nicer finish than I expected but its too flat and I would be worried with it flaking off. So the bike will be staying green.

A question on replacement body work. My 95 is fluorescent green and the color has changed in recent years. Will the green replacement parts be this newer color green? Thanks
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I painted a piece of broken fairing for my streetbike

Only prep work I did was sand with 600 grit

Paint went on good, painting yellow over black in just two light coats

When it was drying it started getting really orange peely but a couple hours later it smoothed out and it looks amazing. And I can't scrape it off with my fingernail
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS