K&N Filters?

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

K&N Filters?

Post by Indawoods »

Anyone use the K&N filter KA-1287 for your KDX? If so, how does it perform and how often does it need cleaned? This filter is supposedly designed for the KDX and it's environment. And they claim you don't have to clean it that often... but at around $50 you shouldn't have too.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Hellbender

Post by Hellbender »

I don't have direct K&N exerience on KDX's but I have a lot on 4 wheelers and Jeeps, and here's my opinion.

They DO flow better than most filters, but at the expense of allowing more than just air through them. Part of the reason you don't have to clean them very often, is they allow the VERY fine particles, that clog good filters quickly, to pass through.

If you don't have a lot of very fine dust in your area, you may never have trouble.

On my Jeeps and 4 wheelers, if you ever were in very fine dust, you could remove the filter and see dust on the inside of the intake.

They actually sell a cloth type pre-filter to go over the K& N's for fine dust conditions.

They are great on a drag or circle track car, even most street rigs, as they operate in fairly clean air conditions, but I would never consider them on an off-road machine.

But, if you want the highest air flow filter around, they are the ticket.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

HB
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hellbender, thank you for sharing your experiences with the K & N.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

All I hafta say about this Hellbender done went and said it.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

V...I think one of those things would be sweet w/ an oiled pre-filter. That's exactly what we run in karts, and the filter gets showered directly w/ dirt. Just change the pre-filter(similar to stock KDX config, but I don't get all out of hand oiling the pre-filter).
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
4bangr

Post by 4bangr »

Another weakness of the K&N is when any water hits it, it will wash off the filtering sprayon stuff. So, then it really quits working.