Changed my shock oil, really easy.

Got questions? We got answers....
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Changed my shock oil, really easy.

Post by strider80 »

I changed my shock oil and had the nitrogen recharged the other night. The shock was rebuilt/revalved by FRP about 4 years ago. The nitrogen charge was pretty weak and the oil was dark, definetly time for a change. I followed the factory manual procedure for dissasembly and refilling (I used 5w Amsoil Shock Therapy), took about 30min. I think it took longer to get the shock on and off the bike than to service it. All the internal parts looked fine, just cleaned everything up a bit.

So if you haven't done it yet, it is an easy process, a little messy but nothing complicated. The closest shop to be charged me $25 for a nitrogen recharge, I won't go back there again. I will probably do this once every year or two now that I saw how easy it was.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Thanks for that. I know I'm due.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I've had my shock serviced at annual intervals and could easily feel the difference in that time-span.

I've also had it done at 18/24 month intervals, and the effect was more marked.

I've not bothered doing it myself because of the nitrogen charge part. Shops 'round here have told me they will NOT recharge a shock they didn't put together. I'm sure there is some outfit here that would....

Considering that once a year is a reasonable interval, at $25 a shot (plus the take to, wait or leave it to be picked up later) the nitrogen setup info I have saved for future purchase is looking better and better all the time.

What's the cost of that fluid? Some of them (fluids) are silly-expensive!

Thanks for the input!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

Fluid I think it was $8 a quart with shipping, I think that would do 2 shocks.

My local suspension guy (moto-pro) charges $15 for a nitrogen recharge, but is another 20minutes away than the $25 shop (I didn't know it would $25 before taking it there). The $25 shop did it while I waited (10min). I may take it out to Moto-pro next time just to BS with the owner and save a couple bucks.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

From what I have heard, if you keep up on the shock maintenence, you can change the oil by removing the compression clicker "holder" (large aluminum cylinder that the compression clicker sit in) and draining out the oil without dissasembling the shock. I may do that next time if I can get to it within a year.

If you have not done it for awhile though, I think taking it apart and inspecting/cleaning stuff is the way to go.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Hmmm... My shock is 4 years old and has never been serviced. I bet it is in bad shape :sad:

Maybe that's the reason for that strange noise when you bounce up and down on it :lol:
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:Hmmm... My shock is 4 years old and has never been serviced. I bet it is in bad shape :sad:

Maybe that's the reason for that strange noise when you bounce up and down on it :lol:
Does it squeak? If it does it is most likely the linkage. I let my linkage go on squeaking for awhile, then the lower shock bearing grenaded and took out the the linkage. I highly recommend you lube the linakge up now before all the bearings are shot.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Squeaks aren't too uncommon. Get some grit between the spring and its seat and the noise can be pretty awful.

If the suspension (Unitrack/swingarm) has not been serviced in four years..I guarantee it's in bad shape.

I went through 3-4 lower shock bearings a year until I put a double-sealed bearing in.

Bearings lead a rough life (and hasty death) in a dirtbike!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

It's not really a squeak like a mouse. It's tough to explain...
I plan to service it soon... I just don't think i'm up to the job...
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
strider80 wrote:From what I have heard, if you keep up on the shock maintenence, you can change the oil by removing the compression clicker "holder" (large aluminum cylinder that the compression clicker sit in) and draining out the oil without dissasembling the shock. I may do that next time if I can get to it within a year.
You may get the oil out that way - but how would you know you did not trap air in the shock when you added oil back into the shock?

When you followed the established procedure you should have essentually overfilled slightly the body of the shock and also should have lost a little more fluid when you inserted the nitrogen bladder. The idea of slight fluid lost during assembly is to ensure no air is trapped in the hydraulic portion of the shock.

If you follow up and use a high point method of allowing the bubbles to be displaced from the shock as you manually plunge the shock's shaft you will possibly see a little trap air get removed this way also - even when following the KDX procedure. (Letting the shock sit overnight and allowing the bubbles to work their way to the high point works for some but not all people. Tapping on the body may help but the way I see it is 30-45 minutes following the established procedure and you should KNOW your good to go.

FWIW - I would expect that trapped air around the circumference of the bladder and shock's piston to be problem areas if you went to the compression clicker as your sole means of getting the old out and the new fluid in.

P.S. I get my shock recharged for $6 for nitrogen. (My guy knows me - been doing business with him for ~15 years.) If you ever seen a shock blow apart when it was being filled with nitrogen you would know why many shops refuse to perform nitrogen fills on "home rebuilt" shocks.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

Good to know Charley. No shortcuts for me, I am glad I dissassembled it then. Thanks, Scott
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)