Bike shuts down after riding for 10 min.

Got questions? We got answers....
fly11269

Bike shuts down after riding for 10 min.

Post by fly11269 »

2002 stock KDX 200

I start the bike and let it warm up then ride for about 10 minutes and it just bogs down and shuts off. Sounds like its starving for fuel. The only way it will start again is if I put a clean plug in it. The plug I pull out does not look that bad and its not wet with spoonge. Could it be over heating? How do you tell?

I checked and cleaned the carb (carb looked new) drained the tank and put fresh fuel.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Check for clogged jets!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Make sure gas tank is vented.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
fly11269

Post by fly11269 »

pulled the jets out and they are clear.
2002 KDX200
REV & PCII
12/47 X-RING
ASV Levers
155/45 Jets
40/1 Premix
MX Rear Fender
fly11269

Post by fly11269 »

>|<>QBB<
IdahoCharley wrote:Make sure gas tank is vented.
I pulled the vent line out of the stearing tube and the end of it was wet. Looks like there is water in there :shock: . You think this could be the problem?
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

If you've got water in your gas it could be stopping the float bowl from filling up correctly. Drain you tank and float bowl and refill with fresh premix and a new plug. Also check your float level.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I had a simlar problem on a 2000 DT175. The stupid keylock on the gas cap wasn't water tight and after a bit of rain the same thing would happen and it would slutter and die. Does it happen consistantly after 10 mins because the DT would die sometimes after 1 minute or sometimes after 10 or more, never consistant ??

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
fly11269

Post by fly11269 »

>|<>QBB<
m0rie wrote:If you've got water in your gas it could be stopping the float bowl from filling up correctly. Drain you tank and float bowl and refill with fresh premix and a new plug. Also check your float level.
Pulled the bowl off and there is no water. Drained the fuel tank in a bucket and no water in there either. Wondering if the water in the stearing stem just would not let air in the tank causing the fuel not to get to the carb?
GS

Post by GS »

That vent pipe blockage would be a good bet....the 10 min run time being a good clue. Simple thing to test, too !
Let us know!! :wink:
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I had an old Honda years ago that was equipped with a dissolving fuel line. I never saw anything like it. I think it was surgical tubing. Anyway, it swelled up big as a sausage, put all kinds of goo in the carb and would not run for long. Took forever to clean that situation up.

I doubt that is your problem, just brought back a memory.

When you say put a clean plug in, do you mean a new plug, or one you pulled previously and cleaned up? If that is the case, next time it dies, don't change the plug, just let it sit for the amount of time it takes you to change a plug and see if it then runs. Know what I'm getting at?

I'd be inclined to suspect a tank venting issue. Easy enough to check, ride around with the gas cap off!!
((Caution: Gas on the pants causes a burning sensation to those areas in the pants))
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
fly11269

Post by fly11269 »

I ran the bike today and it did the same thing. I think the float may be getting stuck (it was peeing when stalled). Where can I get a new float and jets off the net?

I just installed a REV pipe and powercore II and opened the air box. What jetting do you guys recomend?
2002 KDX200
REV & PCII
12/47 X-RING
ASV Levers
155/45 Jets
40/1 Premix
MX Rear Fender
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I would think an adjustment should do it....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "