Wrapping a pipe?

Got questions? We got answers....
UFS207

Wrapping a pipe?

Post by UFS207 »

I was wondering if there would be any benefits and/or negatives to "wrapping" a pipe on a KDX? More specifically a 220 with an FMF rev pipe and turbine core 2 silencer. I (sorta) understand the benefits of wrapping headers on a 4 stroke engine in that retaining heat in the exhaust itself allows the spent exhaust gases to "flow" easier. I am not too certain as to how this would apply to expansion chamber on a 2 stroke. Would increased expansion chamber temps possibly be harmful to a small two stroke engine in terms of durability and low-midrange power? Has anyone here tried this on a KDX before (or any single cylinder 2 stroke?).

I guess my main reason for wanting to try this has less to do with a possible power increase and more to do with noise reduction. That and it would make mounting my homemade aluminum pipe-guard easier. Any input appreciated.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

"wrapping"
What's that?
If I read correctly, you're talking about wrapping some material (what kind?) around the pipe to raise the temp :hmm:
I would be scared of overheating and possible damages... :?
I guess my main reason for wanting to try this has less to do with a possible power increase and more to do with noise reduction
Noise reduction: I have the solution: I'll trade my stock pipe for yours :mrgreen: it'll be much more quieter :lol:
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

There shouldn't be any issue with it. How would you keep the wrapping from getting nasty first time out on the trail?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

http://www.centuryperformance.com/heatwraps.asp

Dunno if I'd want it trapping in heat or crud, mud and water for that matter. :wink:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

>|QBB<[/url]
m0rie wrote:How would you keep the wrapping from getting nasty first time out on the trail?

DEI High-Temp Silicone Coating™ FAQ
What is the purpose of using HT Silicone Coating™?
HT Silicone Coating has several beneficial purposes on header wraps and metal surfaces. When applied to an exhaust wrap it increases the wraps thermal isolation and resistance. The silicone agent bonds to the surface of the wrap and increases its integrity which reduces the need to re-wrap headers or piping, just re-apply HT Silicone Coating™ routinely. HT Silicone can also be applied to a prepped metal surface where wrapping is improbable. Because HT Silicone Coating™ is silicone based it also can repell water, dirt and oils from any surface. This is especially usefull on header wrap as keeping it free of debris lessens wear and increases it's durability.

What else can HT Silicone Coating™ be used for?
Wherever metal heat absorbtion may exist! The intended use for this product is on header wrap as mentioned above, but HT Silicone Coating™ may also be applied to bare metal headers, exhaust pipes, manifolds, engine blocks, heads, valve covers, oil pans, transmission or rear-end housings, differential covers, brake calipers and even on your barbeque grill.

What temperature can HT Silicone Coating™ withstand?
HT Silicone Coating will effectively withstanding 1500 degees and provide added style.

How is HT Silicone Coating™ applied?
For header wraps it is recommended that HT Silicone be applied in several light coats for optimal thermal performance and cleanliness. For bare metal surfaces it is recommended that the surfaces be properly prepared before applying.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
BlackStormy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by BlackStormy »

Another option would be to send it to a header coating company and have it hight-temp or ceramic coated. It would be more costly, but you wouldn't have to worry about getting dirt and water trapped under a wrap.