I want more power!

Got questions? We got answers....
tha_reids
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

I want more power!

Post by tha_reids »

Well...that was what I was thinking before last weekend.
My overall view of my kdx 250 is that it runs strong and does quite well in the power department but the bike itself doesn't seem to handle the power well.
Anyway,
I unintentionally looped it last weekend. It was pretty bad as my feet never had a chance to touch the ground when I went over :grin:
My friend has 18 acres that has some trails cut in. Slow and technical.
I had an issue getting through a 8 ft. deep ditch that had no transition at the bottom. It looks like a "V" and once out of the ditch it is a slight but good uphill climb. Been through there many times with no worry's.
This time I remembered blipping the throttle to lighten the front end at the bottom. The bike actually seemed to speed up as the front got past the transition and it caught me off balance. To make a long story a bit shorter I ended up trying to hang on, standing and my weight to far back and at the same time I unintentionally opened up the throttle.
Then before I knew it I was on my back about 20 ft. on the other side of the ditch having put my back into a position it has never been before. I actually felt it stretch before I landed on it. Bikes all good :grin:
Could of been bad. First time I ever looped a bike while I was still riding it.

I'm either going to swap suspension, get a different bike all together, or transplant the motor into something lighter and more agile.
I would like to keep the bike but I know a fork swap will not help the bikes geometry. Who knows....I sure like the bike and don't want to give up on her.
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

Not to sound like a phallus...but, was it the bike or the rider that caused the loop? Don't give up on her. I blamed a lot of my mistakes on the bike until I realized and/or understood the control over it. Why spend $$$ on a perceived problem? To me, it just sounds like you made a mistake. No sweat, man. Go back to the same ditch, and hit it again...and again...until you 'get it'. I do it all the time. Whip that two-fitty into shape, bro'! :supz:

--C.J.
(Learning to slip the clutch, and do it well, has saved me from countless loops. I don't know your ability, so I won't assume, but it is a talent that everyone should practice until perfect - my opinion)
2000 KDX220R

"Big air? I say keep it in the dirt - that's where the fun is. You want big air, kid? Pull my finger." -- Smooth Johnson, Master of the Berm
tha_reids
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by tha_reids »

Oh, I layed there for about 20 seconds, picked the bike up and was back in the saddle after a quick bike check. I didn't turn around and hit the ditch again cuz I'd been through there many times during the day with no problem.

I'm a ham fisted rider for sure so I love powerful bikes but this one gets me in trouble in the tight and uneven terrain. Its like riding a bucking bronco. Same trail riding a crf or kx250f was confidence inspiring. They handled like 125's. The new 250 four strokes were just a bit boring in the power department.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Hows the rear fender ?!?! :shock: :lol:

My guess is if the suspension was better theres a good chance it wouldn't of happend, sayin that I wasn't there so it may well have. :blink: What I AM trying to say is, suspension work in my books is the best safety/comfort upgrade/feature you can spend money on. I have hit so much stuff after the KX fork conv. that I think I have built up my ass muscles from puckering so much. I have had ALOT less crashes since and I don't think its because my talent has improved. :oops:

Also a flywheel weight, a cammed throttle, different needle and jetting will all make a pretty big difference in your bikes 'personality'. Stick with her as it sounds like your suspension just needs a tweak. :partyman:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

A 250 is a pretty powerful motor, it is based on the I believe 88 KX. I know exactly what you are talking about. When it hits it hits hard and fast. THe suspension cannt handle the power!! Only my throttle used to get stuck like that, I didn't realize my ass cheeks could grip the seat like that. But it really has no mid-range since it is based on a MX motor thrown into a very heavy and severly undersprung frame.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
tha_reids
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by tha_reids »

KDXer,
The rear fender is not doing so well! :rolleyes:
Ya, it broke it up under the seat so its not noticible really, just a little more flexible. I think I jinxed myself for making such a clean fender swap :grin:

Since I already have upside down forks I would love to do a direct swap if any forks fit my triples. Prob not but hey it would be nice. Even after upgrading suspension I'd have to deal with geometry issues. Trust me, I don't want to sell the bike. I love older bikes.
I've got the bike running pretty damn good since I bought it. Difference is night and day but my 210 lbs and the crappy suspension on heavy bike/heavy rider combo just ain't getting along to well.

My friend is 170lbs. Let him ride it for about a half hour and the bike litterally through him off twice :lol:

Hows your bike doing Radonc73 ?
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

I am taking it to a track on Sunday if I have to. The spot I wanted to try may be too wet. I think I have it, but I wont know until it happens again or not but the thought is always there. I can just putt around on the intermediate track if the place isn't too crowded with others itching to ride. The only places around here open are all sand and don't have intermediate tracks except 1. How is the Bay area now?
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
tha_reids
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by tha_reids »

Its been great weather lately. It has actually started spring a couple months early which is kinda scary with desert temps during summer.
There is plenty of riding if I travel 1 hour in any direction, mostly north and east. Have'nt tried any tracks other than the one at my friends. Takes about 1.5 hours to get up there.

Most air I've got on this bike is about 4', maybe 6' if you count some drop offs :lol: Not something I really want to do much (jump).

You get your bike issues all straightened out? I guess so since your headed to the track.
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

Yes I may be headed to a tracck but I have no intention on getting airborne. I am too old. What desert are you by? I spent some of my formitive years in the Mojave. What a waste of time I didn't even ride much at all at the time. :evil:
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Hey tom and reids, type in kawasaki kdx 250 on e-bay, and check out the 94 250 on there. It is imacculant! Ready to sell both of mine 4 that one. Probably too nice for my @$$. :lol:
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

Supple suspension :blink: Slender frame :hmm: Very well maintained obliously, I didn't even know that the stickers went that far on the other side of the shrouds.
I haven't forgotten about Mr Reids graphics. You see as Rick know I am expecting in August so I have been a little scatterbrained, but I still want a set. :grin:
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

:shock: wow that bike looks really nice for a 94! wish I had the cash to snatch it :?
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Diddo man! :cool:
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
tha_reids
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by tha_reids »

Here is the most recent photo of my "slender framed racer with supple suspension" :lol:

That 94 on Ebay is about what my 92 looked like when I brought her home. My bike had 1,800 miles on it.
I didn't even know that the stickers went that far on the other side of the shrouds.
I believe they added graphics every year 91-94 with each year covering more then the previous. More "barbie" also :wink:
What desert are you by?
Not really by the desert at all we just get that dry triple dig summer days.
Last year I think we hit a high of 116-118. Hot enough. In November I was in the Mohave! For 5 days a month after I bought the bike. We were riding in the spangler hills? Whatever is right outside Ridge Crest. It was great.

Hey Rick! Hows the bike?
Are the 3 of us the only 250 guys in here?

One day, all us 250 guys will get together and ride!
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Not bad. I ended up sending my radiator to Mylers in Utah to get a fitting fixed. I was going to get some of those aluminun durarods and try it my self, but ive just got too much stuff going on. Plus, its gettin real close to ridin season. They shipped it out Wed. so i should be gettin it any day. It was $50.00 Not too bad, i didnt think. The rest of the bike is ready. I went through the Tripple tree and the swingarm, brakes, clutch, and everything else, so i should be ready. Need a new rear tire soon, but still got about half a life left. I do need to get some onboard tools and some spare parts(chain, plugs, tubes, etc) .Ps I cant remember if were the only 250 guys or not? It seems like there was another, but maybe not.
2002 DL1000 V-STROM