KX 250 or not

Got questions? We got answers....
crf_kdx

KX 250 or not

Post by crf_kdx »

Say, looking for some advice . . . I'm toying with the idea of selling the kid's CRF230 and bumping him up to my KDX200. The local Kawi dealer has a leftover (but new!) 2005 KX250 with a posted price of $4700 although I'm certain they will take less (as always, the game is how much less!). I estimate it might take $800 more to turn it into a woods friendly ride (skid plate, bark busters, gnarly pipe / spark arrester, larger tank, flywheel weight, etc). Would this be a reasonable woods bike after mods (for eastern KY riding!) for the money? I'm not wed to this particular bike and I would consider other rides such as a KTM 200 (maybe 300) xc-w or CRF250X. Any thoughts here folks??
"There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't."
~ William Trogdon

2002 Honda Shadow ACE 750
2005 KDX 200 (mine)
2006 CRF 250X (son's)

2004 TTR 125LE (for sale)

KORHS Series: Senior C
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

You would also have to factor in suspension work as the forks and shock would be mighty harsh for woods riding.

Talk to Jerry, Aka skipro3, he bought a 2002 KX250 and set it up for woods riding.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Do I understand you right to state that you're considering moving your son to a KDX200 . . . or a KX250?

How much experience does your son have with riding?

I owned a TTR230 (Yammi version of the CRF) early last year and moved into the KDX220 I currently own. More power but far from intimidating, and leaps & bounds better handling and fun factor. In my estimation that sounds like a great move.

Assuming for the moment that the 250 you're asking about is a 2-stroke 250: unless your son has a good bit of experience - and I'm talkin' more than CRF230 experience - a KX250, or any MX-caliper 250 is A LOT of bike. If the contemplation for this KX250 is serious, I'd highly recommend that he test ride one - KX, RM, YZ, CR, SX - prior to purchasing. Even better if you BOTH give it a test spin (so that you can see for yourself). I rode a few last year (use to race one MANY years ago) - these bikes are completely different beasts than a CRF or a KDX.

If it's a 4-stroke - a KX250F - that's probably an easier transition . . .

By the way, I'm making an assumption that you aren't sure what a KX250 is - if you do, please take no offense at my suggestions!

I'll let others chime in on the other bikes you ask about.

Also . . . welcome to the site!!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
crf_kdx

Post by crf_kdx »

For now, I'm thinking of moving junior to my KDX200 and getting something else for myself. To be honest, I'm happy with the KDX but junior has grown unhappy with the CRF230 as it's both heavy and lacking in the power department. Btw, he's roughly 5' 6" and weighs 110 pounds - but is growing all the time. He started on a TTR125LE three years back and has been on the CRF230 for just over a year. It's an easier pill for my two other children to swallow if I get a new ride and child number three simply inherits my old ride - I'd (rightly) expect lots of noise from the other two kids if I bought number three a new bike outright.

My interest in the KX250 is driven largely by price and, to a lesser degree, weight - a new 250 two-stroke for something less than $4700 + off-road mods @ around 205 pounds. My worry is that a bike topping out at 45+ HP on relatively tight eastern KY trails might not be at all manageable (especially for a "geezer" like me!) even after woods mods. I could see in a year or two junior buying this new ride (whatever it might be) from me (he's just 15 now) and me going back to the KDX.

So, I guess my underlying question is to what degree is a modded KX250 a decent woods bike??

I'm open to other solutions if you folks got 'em!!!!
"There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't."
~ William Trogdon

2005 KDX 200 (mine)
2006 CRF 250X (son's)

Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

OOPS!! Thought the KX250 was for junior!

Even so, your suspicions are right: the 250 is a handfull in the tight woods conditions, even for an experienced rider. Have you ridden such a bike?

The CRF250X comes with rave reviews. And valve issues (get on a 4-stroke forum and read).

That KDX with some suspension / power mods is quite a bike. Not a 250, just more fun and more forgiving!!

Perhaps another KDX?

Where at in KY do you ride (if you don't mind me askin')? I live/ride near Louisville . . .
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

>|<>QBB<
crf_kdx wrote:For now, I'm thinking of moving junior to my KDX200 and getting something else for myself. To be honest, I'm happy with the KDX but junior has grown unhappy with the CRF230 as it's both heavy and lacking in the power department. Btw, he's roughly 5' 6" and weighs 110 pounds - but is growing all the time. He started on a TTR125LE three years back and has been on the CRF230 for just over a year. It's an easier pill for my two other children to swallow if I get a new ride and child number three simply inherits my old ride - I'd (rightly) expect lots of noise from the other two kids if I bought number three a new bike outright.

My interest in the KX250 is driven largely by price and, to a lesser degree, weight - a new 250 two-stroke for something less than $4700 + off-road mods @ around 205 pounds. My worry is that a bike topping out at 45+ HP on relatively tight eastern KY trails might not be at all manageable (especially for a "geezer" like me!) even after woods mods. I could see in a year or two junior buying this new ride (whatever it might be) from me (he's just 15 now) and me going back to the KDX.

So, I guess my underlying question is to what degree is a modded KX250 a decent woods bike??

I'm open to other solutions if you folks got 'em!!!!

The 05 is a great woods bike with a few simple mods.

The first is a fly wheel weight 11 or 9 oz will tame the hit and keep it from stalling.

Get a spark arrester on it

Don't forget to jet it to your conditions

Suspension wise just check the spring rate make sure you spring it to your weight.
The valving should be usable by manual adjustment.

Add the brush guards pipe guards skid plate and your done.

for an NOS 05 I would not do any more than 4 Grand .
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

My 2 cents; OK my 2 dollars worth; LOL
Unless you ride like a hot dog, an mx 250 smoker is not the best trail bike. To clarify, you can make a great fast woods bike out of a 250 mx but it will never be an easy-going trail bike like the kdx or a crf250x or a wr250f. For one thing, even with a flywheel add-on it will still eat tires and tear things up and blow out traction when you don't expect it.

I am (once again) converting a kx250 for woods work - suspension revalved, a steahly 11 oz flyweight - if you gear it down to putt-putt in tight stuff it is too slow top end - the former owner put a 50 tooth rear (stock is 48) and fifth gear is like third on a kdx. Blah. I'm putting the the stock 48 tooth on and am prepared to live by the clutch in the really tight stuff. Point is, you can't really make them into a good trail bike - yes they will go fast in the woods, but that's not the same thing as trail riding IMO. I have this 250 smoker bike as a second toy for when I feel the need to get it on - it is in no way a replacement for my modded KDX 220. You must work harder on a 250 smoker and you must concentrate more on one, IMO - this means you will tire sooner.

I just left a honda crf250x after 2 years of riding it, and I can tell you it is very similar to the kdx handling-wise but has a vastly superior suspension and is tractable in nearly all conditions. It too has a wide-ratio tranny and will work the trails with ease. Being a four-stroke, it does not whip the rear tire into oblivion in a few weeks time. A WR250 is similar. You will not believe how great the ergos and suspension are on these little thumpers. You do have to perform free-mods on the honda and the wr to get them to go worth a darn.

BTW, I'm not a big honda fan, but the valve issues are no longer as prominent on the 06 and later models. The WR's are virtually bullet proof in that regard.

The poster who said a four-stroke 250 mx'r would also work is right. These things have the power to move quickly and the suspensions are much closer for off-road than the smokers. I had an 03 YZ250F and only modified the compression valve stack in the forks, everything else was close enough. The down-side? Horrible ergos -very tall and that same close-ratio tranny that means clutch abuse. I had to change the tranny oil every ride or the clutch would drag - smaller gas tank, no side stand, etc....that's why I got the CRF250X, it could handle the technical stuff better.

Of course, my current modded kdx 220 is the best tight trail bike I have ever owned - and it blew many a mind in the hills of Clear Creek, CA weekend before last climbing hills even I couldn't believe it would make. I honestly feel it is a better all-around bike than any of the others I have owned.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Just about any off-road bike can be set up for trail work. Check the various years of KX250. I discovered large differences in porting and found that the L series from 99 to 02 had a huge difference in performance. Ended up that the 02 was the most linear powerband with the most low rpm torque and least over-rev. It worked beautifully in the woods once I put an auto-clutch on it! (otherwise, I was stalling it and having to kick start it too often) Like a KDX but it was like I only weighed 100 lbs instead of 170 lbs. It was a predictable as my KDX in just about any measure, just more of everything available.
BUT........
Only consider this if you are sure your riding above the KDX's ability to keep you safe. If you are riding your KDX beyond it's capabilities, then move up. My opinion of course.

I've ridden lots of bikes; everyone seems to offer me the chance to ride theirs in an effort to convince me to buy a "real" bike and get rid of my KDX or my KX. With that experiance, let me say the best bike for racing HS or enduros was the KX250 (highly modified) and the best bike for trail rides was the KDX. I could ride all day on the KDX and be ready for day 2 without any problem. (You must be ready for day 3 as well if you ride with CC though.) I could ride the KX250 and never have to worry about maintaining speed or overtaxing the suspension or brakes. If I only could choose one or the other, I would choose the KX250. But that's because I'm an A type personality and I'm competitive even on a trail ride. No one rides in front of me unless they earn it by out riding me. If I ever slow back down or get tired of hurting myself, it will be the KDX again.

The worst bike I've ridden? The KTM525. That stroke is way too long. Someone ought to put a plow behind it and cultivate the back 40. It's way too much bike for anything but open riding on fireroads and desert. My opinion again, of course.

I think kawagumby and I are saying the same things here; know what type of riding you really want to do; trail ride=KDX and race ride=KX

Why not get your son a KDX and you keep the KDX you have? That's what I would do.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Interesting view points. :mrgreen: This stuff has been discussed before, but it's always fun to watch.

I have my opinions as well, but, they are soley mine based on the terrain and my riding style.

I prefered my '02 KX250 to the KDX for most riding situations. When the time came to make a choice...the KX stayed. The power is definately managable in the tight stuff.
It was a predictable as my KDX in just about any measure, just more of everything available.
But, as others have said, it definately wants to be riden harder than the KDX. As far as eating tires, I have not found that the KX eats tires any quicker than the KDX. With the close ratio transmission, I can ride a gear high and still have the grunt or snap depending on throttle twist.

As has been said, it really depends on your riding style. If you want a do everything trail bike...there is no better choice than the KDX. If you are an "A" personality, MX bikes will make you grin!

As a side note: As ski pointed out, the 2002 KX is more of a torque bike compared to other years. Although, the 2004 and 2007 are somewhat comparable. The 2005 and 2006 are screamers. Nothing a flywheel weight, some throttle control and good clutch work can't handle though. :wink:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote: If I only could choose one or the other, I would choose the KX250. But that's because I'm an A type personality and I'm competitive even on a trail ride. No one rides in front of me unless they earn it by out riding me. If I ever slow back down or get tired of hurting myself, it will be the KDX again.
I was a lot like you a few years ago...but now the KDX is the keeper, the KX is the accessory. LOL, now that I'm pushing 60 every ride seems like a survival run!

To clarify my comment about tire wear using a KX250 with revalved suspension and extra flywheel weight....even with my (ahem) superb throttle control, I'd go through at least 3 rear tires per season. With modern 4-stroke 250's I'd nearly get a year out of a rear tire. I rode the CRF250X year round for two years and sold it with the second replacement rear tire on it. thump skip thump skip thump. Look at tire marks some time, a 2 smoke has twice as many hits as the thumpers - plus the thumpers have more internal enertia going regardless of flywheel weight.

If I didn't want to upgrade a KDX, I'd have bought a WR250 or another CRF250X. I probably would have leaned toward the WR simply because I've never owned a WR250 and I flat loved the 02 WR426 I had which was a bullet-proof quality product, although porky.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
crf_kdx

Post by crf_kdx »

The thoughtful replies here are prompting me to rethink the KX250. Ripping it up is great fun . . . but junior and I also dink around a bit too. It sounds like the KX250 might not be compatible with how we ride. I think I need to investigate other options before I lay down some of the green stuff . . . I think I'll look more closely into the "250X" type rides and maybe the KTM 200 (or 300). (I'd like to lay my eyes on the new KLX450 but it still hasn't hit the local dealers yet . . . probably just as well as I suspect it's out of my price range anyway.)

Thanks for all the comments - they have helped to focus my thinking a bit here.

((Jeb: I sent you a PM responding to your query about where we ride in KY.))
~ William Trogdon

2005 KDX 200 (mine)
2006 CRF 250X (son's)

Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

If you could post where you ride, or pm me also, would be great. Im in N. Ky about an hour from Jeb. Cool, another KY Guy! :supz:
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

My oldest son, now 27 years old, came out for a visit last spring. He had not ridden a dirt bike since he was 9. He got on the KDX and I got on my KX. Within an hour, he was as good a rider as I am currently. Doug went with us on his KX500 and through the tight and technical, he was just barely able to keep up with us!! Ha!! So don't go thinking that the KDX and KX don't make good trail buddies. It's the rider skill for the most part. Dave, my son, would watch one of us tackle an obstacle, then he would go for it and do it perfectly. Kids!! Watch out or yours will be kicking your butt soon as well!!

****EDIT****
WoW!! the photos are dated October of 2005.

WHERE HAS THE TIME GONE??
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
crf_kdx

Post by crf_kdx »

Junior does well keeping up with the old man . . . the only reason I'm still a bit "faster" is that my KDX is a better ride than his CRF230 (which is a decent playbike!). But even with that advantage he's getting better and better with time and I've surely already peaked (plus, at 47, I worry about breaking bones!).
~ William Trogdon

2005 KDX 200 (mine)
2006 CRF 250X (son's)

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

If you be fearing breakin' bones, then the KX250 might not be the smartest choice. A large part of successfully riding in the dirt is confidence. You must ride agressively in order to stay on top of the bike. Start riding defensively and you'll be getting hurt more. By defensively, I mean hesitation when you must commit and it's too late to back out. If you are expecting to fall, you will. The ability to visualize a successful attempt at any obstacle is mandatory to it's completion. I'd get junior a dumbed down KDX and then hot-rod it up as his skills grow. Then keep your KDX and enjoy the experience the two of you will surely be enjoying together!!
Jerry

KillDozer

Post by KillDozer »

Just seen this New KDX 200 on EBAY. You might be interested in. http://tinyurl.com/25hmaw
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

If you are wanting to play ride, I can't believe you are even thinking about the race-focused KTM 200. If the KDX200 isn't for you, one of those baby thumpers will likely make you happier.
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
crf_kdx

Post by crf_kdx »

Well, like most folks, I want it all! :-) On one end of the spectrum we do indeed play ride and at the other end we're going to try to run in the KY hare scramble series this year. As has been suggested here, maybe another KDX would well serve our needs/wants. I do appreciate all the feedback given here . . . saying things outloud has helped to focus my thinking.
~ William Trogdon

2005 KDX 200 (mine)
2006 CRF 250X (son's)

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

FOr me it's too hard to give up the wide ratio trans. A KX250 w/ a wide trans would be nice, but no such beast is commercially available. That's why most people switch to a 250 EXC when thinking 250....Note that's NOT the MXC, OR SXC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ski solved the issues if rinding a tall first by using an auto-clutch....Apparently this is quite a viable option, and the motor has the heart to flog the auto-clutch. On another note, a 36mm carb does wonders too.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

Anyone ever see Destry Abbott on a KX250? Holy crap...

I was looking on craigslist for KX250s last night and theres a guy selling an 03 with a Scotts stabilizer, suspension setup and all these other goodies for $2800. Looks very nice too.

QC, if it would be alright could I try out your KX250 sometime? No one I know up here has one, I've got the woodsified RM250 and YZ250 angles covered already. Eventually I would like a new bike, preferably a 250 and would try staying away from orange and sticking with that awesome green color.