Second thoughts on my KDX

Got questions? We got answers....
AZRickD

Second thoughts on my KDX

Post by AZRickD »

Nearly a year ago, I was advised to buy a KDX to use as a "tweener" to ride as I improved my skillz and also bummed rides on other bikes to see which model I *really* wanted.

My '03 220R came pre modded from QuailChaser with pipe, silencer, RB carb and squish mods, and Boyesen reeds. I later swapped in KX forks and VF3 reeds.

Over the last few months I became very frustrated with the KDX, due to its poor handling. My front end was pointing all over the place in sand, hill climbes, and whoops. I was really motivated to look elsewhere.

My test riding during that time increased and I began to mull the next purchase. I rode '06 and '07 WRs & CRFs (both 250 and 450), '06 KTM 300s (XC and XC-W) and a few other. I've even been trying to get rides on Shercos and Gas Gas.

Turned out my shock was completely blown. I was riding on a spring with no dampening. I got the shock rebuilt and suddenly people are telling me that my riding over the aforementioned sand, whoops, and hills has improved. Amazing how the rear end can make it feel like the front end is misbehaving.

I've been riding on the new shock for a few weeks now and I'm having fun again on the KDX. Confidence on sand, bounding (in my own small way) over whoops and rolling jeep trails, and showing no fear in rutted hill climbs.

I rode today and after the ride, my ride buddies let me ride their bikes ('03 KTM 300 and an '06 CRF 250) for a few miles over the whoopy jeep trail I had just frolicked over with the KDX.

Frankly, I liked the KDX better. Yes, the Honda boingers are plusher throughout the range, while my '98 KX250 forks have a bit of a mid-stroke harshness when I land from a whoopy leap, but the KTM has nothing on the KDX, especially in the rear end which wanted to bop me in the but quite a bit (and I was standing at the time). The KTM 300 just wasn't revvy enough. It felt a lot like the Honda, believe it or not, with just a little less engine braking.

In the end, now that I have my suspension tuned reasonably well (I'm sure a shop could make them even better, were I to spend the money), I have no problem keeping the KDX for at least another year... and maybe longer. For me to trade up, there will have to be quite a deal on quite a bike. So far, I don't see it.

Rick
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Did'ja wonder where all that oily stuff was coming from? :hmm:

Kind'a late now...but if you want to do yourself a nice favor next shock rebuild time..there's a local (fairly) tuner that does a great job on the KYB shock. Just so happens he's a KTm dealer..but he's a good tuner anyway!! Let me know if you want his name/addy.

Glad to hear you still like your 'lil green booger! Fun is good!!

Cheers!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

There was no leakage. The only sign was no dampening. Well, that and suddenly I was flat-footed when I used to be on my toes. I thought I had messed up the sag adjustment. But I noticed my back end bouncing around on whoops and hill climbs. I asked several folks to check it out. They always said, "Looks okay to me." It wasn't until I saw video that I new something was wrong. The clickers no longer adjusted.

The suspension shop (Palo Verde Suspension), said it was trashed inside. All the friction parts, etc, were replaced. Please give the suspension guy a plug.

But it's not just the suspension. After riding several racing four strokes (RFS) from Honda, Yamaha, etc, I find that I don't like the roll-on power nor do I like the engine compression. The 300 motor, while torquey, doesn't rev much. I just didn't like it very much.
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re; 'They always said, "Looks okay to me." '

That's rather strange. The best way to tell what your suspension is doing is to watch it yourself (video) or have someone else watch you ride. Maybe they were just having fun watching you try to handle the bag-o-boing?

Interesting take on the 'RFS' crowd. Well said and agreed to!

No plug needed...again. Already have it in my bike profile!
It is nice to have a shock that works well. Wilson has changed the valving in mine a couple of times based on his continued experience with KYBs and I've certainly benefitted from his work. It surprises me constantly how well the shock keeps the rear tire on the ground!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

Ya Rick I'M with ya On that!

I was having a issue on the the bike thing, about putting another grand in my KDX or just parting ways and starting over with new.

After riding a couple of four strokes WR250 and a yz250f I think they were fun but felt heavy and the WR was way soft in the suspension dept. the YZ250F was fun but felt long and under powered.

I have decided to do the RM shock conversion and put a hydraulic clutch on, then have the forks re valved. I love the engine and power of my bike so what if its 7 years old .

I like to tune my suspension by using deep sandy corners and large high speed whoops .

If the bike skips through the whoops with out kicking or hopping side to side, and tracks around the corners with out washing or digging then all is good.

Stage two suspension tuning is root deflection and small rock or log hopping.

I run through a section thats root or small embedded rocks with a log or large 6- 12 inch root crossing the trail.

If the front does not harshly deflect off the roots and rocks and the rear doesn't donkey kick me in the rear all is well.

The KDX with KX forks is very sensitive to sag adjustment.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.