2001 KXD220R Jetting Help

Got questions? We got answers....
jeronzl

2001 KXD220R Jetting Help

Post by jeronzl »

I have tried searching this and Justkdx forums for the answer, but cant seem to find what i am searching for.

I know that this gets asked all the time, so now its my turn.

I have a 2001 Kdx220 with New FMF Gnarly desert pipe, pro circuit silencer, new 607 boysen reeds, air box lid removed, br8es plug, run 40:1 mix.

Existing jets are 42/145
Clip in middle position
Riding between 0-4000 Feet
Air screw about 1.75 turns out.

It seems to be running rich at the moment, and I cant find a place to open the bike right up for a plug chop .

What jets would suit the above setup??

Many thanks in advanced for your help

Ps that Chaparral store in San Bernadino is hugh, a dirt riders dream store.....
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Remember that a WOT chop doesn't have to be in top gear. Can you do a 30 second full throttle run in 3rd? If so, then drag the brakes for extra engine load while in 3rd doing a WOT chop.

BTW, what makes you think the bike is running rich? If you aren't getting up into the main jetting circuit enough to do a throttle chop, then it may be another circuit that isn't jetted right. Have you played around with the needle clip position? Or how about the air screw?

Of course, proper jetting begins with the main jet, so try and get to an area to do throttle chops. The longer the run, the easier it is to read the carbon band on the plug. Be sure to take tools to remove the threads of the spark plug if it's not near your shop in order to see that tell-tale carbon band at the base of the plug's insulator.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
bmase

Post by bmase »

I tried with very little success on clip position and jetting. I made huge strides by replacing the needle jet. I went with a CEL from Carb Parts Warehouse in Cleveland. Their cheap, so I am going to experiment with a CEK, DEL, and DEK. It bogged and spooged before, but now it is a wheelie monster, with very smooth throttle response. These bikes come from the factory with the wrong needle jet, period! Get rid of the stocker. I think you are close with the slow and main jets. I am using a 142/40, but think I need to go to a 145/42 until it gets much warmer :supz: .
jeronzl

Post by jeronzl »

Went for a ride in the weekend, and moved the needle clip to 2nd from the top (1 position), and I can believe the difference that it made.
The bike was running ok, but now it just rips from bottom to top of rev range.

Will be going on a big ride in 3 weeks, and I hope to be able to do a plug chop then.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers