Transmission oil

Got questions? We got answers....
Dax10

Transmission oil

Post by Dax10 »

I have about 40 miles on my new KDX and I have started thinking about changing the transmission oil. When should I change the oil, and what oil do you all recommend?
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Man, that oil thing is like talking religion. I use just regular valvoline 10-40 wt, but that's me. You definitely need to change it often though, especially on a new bike.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Just use the whole quart. It will help your clutch from dragging and quite your clutch. Just make sure whatever oil you use that it does not have friction modifiers in it. Some use ATF and it works fine. If you switch to ATF, be aware that it will take a few fluid changes to completely make the switch and for your clutch to act the same consistantly. If you use oil, it's best to use oil designed for motorcycle use. Some, (me included) Use Mobil 1 red cap full synthetic 15-50. Mike is right... everyone has a preference but ultimately it's you who has to ride the bike. Just figure out what want to use and stick with it. On a personal note and not really trying to sway your decision but Bel-Ray Gearsaver has not had very good reviews in the past.

Wait to hear from the other guys in here and make an informed decision.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

As long as it is NOT Energy Conservative labeled (on bottom half of circular label) you are pretty much OK. There are the Type F tranny fluid guys, the Ams Oilers, The "Oils Made For motorcycles only" crowd, Yellow Cap, Red Cap Mobile 1, did I miss any? Clean is what counts. If you are a big clutch user the oil will get darker sooner. I use Red Cap too.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I would recommend you go ahead and change it. There may be some very small metal particles as part of the initial wear of a new engine.

I have used Bel-Ray Gear Saver for a good while, and it seems to do great. Oil choice is a real touchy subject.

The main thing is go ahead and change it. If you can do that for me, I won't get started on you about changing the fork oil and shock oil, too. :grin:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

My 2 cents worth - Pretty much any oil will work as long as its in the recommended range. Just make sure its not labeled Energy Conserving and change it frequently.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Tim_from_AZ

Post by Tim_from_AZ »

Here's my take... I change the oil after every other ride. I only use Maxima 85wt tranny oil.
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Hey Tim, that is one of the most original avatars I've seen! (Well, yours and the one with the kangaroo riding a KDX...)
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Mobil 1 red cap full synthetic 15-50. I use the full quart. Change every other ride.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KC

Post by KC »

What about Kawasaki gear oil? I assume this is what Kaw runs durability tests on their trans with.... I'm no expert but I hear this a lot when it comes to cars (OE manual trans fluid only).
04 KDX 220
03 REV 600HO
92 JS750