Big Bore kdx200?

Got questions? We got answers....
motofox2006

Big Bore kdx200?

Post by motofox2006 »

Im over here in new zealand and cant get access to rb carb and head mod so I was wondering if a big bore 225 or 240 kit would be a good way to go, Im thinking of getting into enduro racing but if I get a big bore it would put me out of the under 200 class. That aside however is a big bore worth it, note im reconditioning my top end at the moment anyway. Thanks
E series 91 KDX
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Go for it! I am definitely thinking about it for my next top end.
motofox2006

Post by motofox2006 »

I have to get my bike resleeved at the same time nyway cause the cylinders stuffed so the heat aluminium steel transfer ill happen anyway so do I stay in the 200 class or get the 225 or 240 kit.
E series 91 KDX
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Whatever you do, don't go for the 240. the heat problem may arise :mad:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Having it sleeved is not the only option :?

And why can't you get access to RB?

KDXer lives on that side of the pond, and he's been RB'd
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

speeking of which, can you have a 225 big bore and be RB'ed? (is it even worth it?)
MXOldtimer

Re: Big Bore kdx200?

Post by MXOldtimer »

>|<>QBB<
motofox2006 wrote:Im over here in new zealand and cant get access to rb carb and head mod so I was wondering if a big bore 225 or 240 kit would be a good way to go, Im thinking of getting into enduro racing but if I get a big bore it would put me out of the under 200 class. That aside however is a big bore worth it, note im reconditioning my top end at the moment anyway. Thanks
Why couldn't you put your head & carb in a box and mail it to RB Designs?
Find out what return postage will be ahead of time and I'm sure your bank can figure out the exchange rate and give you a cashiers check issued to RB Designs.
Is there some law that says you can't mail or receive stuff from the USA?

2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Ron's site states he does US only. BUT, if you contact him, he will probably make an exception. KDXer has done that.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

He'd probably have to ship it too one of us stateside and let us ship it to Ron :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:He'd probably have to ship it too one of us stateside and let us ship it to Ron :wink:
Hell, if he needs to he can ship me his stuff and I'll drive it there. I live 45 min's from the place.
I'm taking my stuff there the end of next week.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I ran it though for Trev (I think?!) Man, my memory is really bad! You will have to find someone you trust to receive your carb and head from Ron. He won't care where it comes from as long as it shows up on his door step and he's got American Greenbacks to cover the cost. He does mind hassling the shipping overseas though. If you get someone here in the USA to have Ron ship it to, then have that person turn it around and ship it to you, then it's no problem at all!

Trev trusted me, but when that carb showed up, I was tempted to send him mine and keep his cause it was prettier!! In the end, Trev never knew he got a used carb, er, I mean; in the end Trev got his new carb!! :oops:
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
motofox2006

Post by motofox2006 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:Having it sleeved is not the only option :?

And why can't you get access to RB?

KDXer lives on that side of the pond, and he's been RB'd
I dont really want to send overseas, id prefer to stick to my island, you mentioned there is anpother option other than resleeving, is resleeving bad and what is the other option because I have a big scratch (very deep) in the bore, the reconditioners said I needed to have the bore resleeved. Also if im not getting it rbd should I get the big bore or not. Thanks all
E series 91 KDX
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Hopefully somebody with a little more brain power than me will chime in

Cylinders can be repaired without sleeving

But I see you said "resleeve" Do you have a sleeve in it now?
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Cylinders can be welded, bored and then plated. No sleeve needed.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I'm not sure but from the looks of the only sleeved kdx cylinder I've ever seen, looked to me like the kips is non functional after a sleeve
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
motofox2006

Post by motofox2006 »

Ive just said to go ahead with the sleeve, the guy is skimming the haed to get more power aswell, do sleeves stop the kips working or not, if they do that would mean a loss in power
E series 91 KDX
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Sleeving the cylinder do NOT stop the KIPs from working provided the machine shop knows what they are doing. A properly sleeved motor will have all the ports matched up with the the original aluminium cylinder including all the KIPs interface areas. There is some trade off in heat transfer...

Regarding guy ...."skimming the head to get more power...." - good luck there.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Motofox don't you have a E series KDX?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

You seriously don't understand what you are missing out on without the carb and head mods, just do it, nothing to be scared of. Jerry you indeed did get my carb and head sorted with the kind assistance of CC, oh and we can't forget our ol buddy Marc with the IMS pegs. :twisted: Another huge thanks to you both as I haven't be disappointed on a single ride. The grin factor is unbeatable. :supz:

I'd be very concerned about him 'skimming' the head also. :? :?

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."