Water in the Oil?

Got questions? We got answers....
4bangr

Water in the Oil?

Post by 4bangr »

I was servicing my 200 last night and the crankcase oil looked like it had some water in it. No green like coolant, but water. It had that milky look to it. So, I'm thinking about how the heck it got there. One idea I had is that while power washing, water got past the filler plug. Any other Ideas? Is it possible for coolant to get into the crankcase?

thanks....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It's possible but what year is your bike 4bangr? How long has it been since you changed the tranny oil? Condensation is very common also. The best way to check is change the oil and keep an eye on it. You will get to the bottom of it.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
4bangr

Post by 4bangr »

Condensation is a good idea, something I hadn't thought of. I just bought the bike so it's possible it hasn't been serviced in a while.

Could there be a bad gasket or seal that would allow coolant into the crankcase? I guess this is not a common problem?

I'm glad to find such a good forum, lots of good info here.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It's common in 89 KDX's but beond that.... I don't think so.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

The seals for the water pump impeller shaft tend to groove the impeller shaft after a while causing a very slow leak of coolant into the gearbox, just enough to make the oil turn milky. Some of the later E series KDX's and all of the H series came with two oil seals to help prevent this but it still happens. You have to take off the water pump cover and the left side case cover to change the seals out but its pretty straight forward. I would replace the seal(s), bearing and shaft all at the same time. The cost should be around $25-$30 for all the pieces. Good Luck!

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
4bangr

Post by 4bangr »

thanks Maurice, that is the info I was looking for.

I think I saw a link to a parts page somewhere on this site.

thanks again.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

http://www.buykawasaki.com has parts diagrams for all the Kawi bikes.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

If it's a new to you bike...why not take the 'wait and see' attitude 'til next change time? You should be changing the tranny lube every few rides...so it won't be too long to wait. Maybe next oil change it will be fine.

It doesn't take much water to make oil look funny...so you wouldn't necessarily see a drop in coolant level.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
cicone

Post by cicone »

canyncarvr wrote:If it's a new to you bike...why not take the 'wait and see' attitude 'til next change time? You should be changing the tranny lube every few rides...so it won't be too long to wait. Maybe next oil change it will be fine.

It doesn't take much water to make oil look funny...so you wouldn't necessarily see a drop in coolant level.
Entirely agree. Have heard it's also possible to "aspirate" water through the overflow hose---riding in deep water and such. Is tranny lube like KY? :mrgreen:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the group. What year is your 200? Is your crankcase vent hose routed properly? It sounds like water through the crankcase vent hose or more probable water pump shaft area leakage. You can check http://www.buykawasaki.com and then a place like http://www.ronayers.com. A friend of mine has the same problem on a bike he just bought. We haven't determined the exact cause yet, but are suspecting the crankcase vent hose (routed improperly when he got it) or the water pump seal area. We checked ronayers.com and it was $25 - $30 like morie said.

He is going to use cheap motor oil and change it very often, keeping a close eye on it.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
cicone

Post by cicone »

The prior owner of my bike had that problem once. We never figured it out. Fact was that it sat outside for an extended period--in the rain/high humidity--without being ridden. We guessed it was most likely due to condensation. I change the oil every 2 or 3 rides and have had no problems with it since.
4bangr

Post by 4bangr »

The bike is a '93. I bought it for my kid who is 16, just upgrading from a 100cc. I ride a XR600. He was out riding it yesterday, I am so pleased with our decision to buy that bike.

I agree with all you on your assessment; I'm going to wait and watch it before I make a move. One more question though, how much oil does the crank case hold, I thought I read somewhere on here 1Quart. Where should the level be on the site glass? I noticed yesterday that it was spitting out a bit of oil out of the overflow.
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

For some reason if I run the full quart in my bike it likes to spit oil out the overflow onto my airfilter, so I drain the old put plug back in pour a little new in mabye about 1/8 of the quart? flush it around drain and add rest of quart.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

The manual says .8 L.

I think the "pour in a whole quart" suggestion is for the 1995 and newer models, but I am not sure.

The manual says to have the level in the middle of the sight glass when the bike is standing up, balanced.

By the way, your 1993 is an "E" model KDX200. The 1989 - 1994 KDX200's are all just about the same. The 1993 and 1994 year did come with upside down forks as a big change. The 1995 - 2005 KDX200's are all very similar, and they are the H models. Some tips will apply to all or some model families, while some tips only apply to a certain model family. Heck, some of my tips don't really apply to any model family. :rolleyes:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

i run a full quart in my 89. if you have a milky substance on your sight glass change the water pump seal. i have changed mine once. its not common unless u dont do regular maintenance. it's not that hard unless u dont know the difference between a ratchet and a wrench. if u need help holler back.
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F